Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mad Dog Wink

Blog Entries

Re: Mad Dog Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    so glad to get those guys back. i think the ONE THING sorely missing from the blitz is an interior guy who demands a double team. thing is, he doesn't even need to be all that great at getting pressure against a double team...it's actually a much lower bar than others looking to acquire an edge rusher need to meet. he just needs to be big enough, fat enough, and strong enough to occupy a center and guard for the initial couple seconds. blitzing is always fundamentally about the numbers, and without that early double-team the numbers arent there. just give me ANYONE who's too much for their Center
    Hell yeah, very excited. Campbell gets doubled, Williams sometimes gets doubled and Judon occasionally gets doubled. But, Wolfe and hopefully Madubuike can win their 1-on-1 match more consistently then the other interior rushers and push the pocket to give the edge rushers a chance to trap the QB in the pocket or they might even be able to be beat their man and get home on their own or better yet occasional draw a double team on their own or stunt and twist to get Campbell freed up 1-on-1.

Very, very excited to finally see Madubuike, hopefully his college skillset carries over
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Mad Dog Wink

Ravens’ DC yelled at Bengals’ coach for last-minute field goal down 27-0 :

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oal-down-27-0/

" Trailing the Ravens 27-0 on Sunday, Bengals head coach Zac Taylor sent his field goal team on the field with 37 seconds left to avoid a shutout and lose 27-3. Ravens defensive coordinator Don “Wink” Martindale was not amused. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baltimore Ravens DC unhappy with late Cincinnati Bengals field goal to avoid shutout :

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-avoid-shutout

" Asked for his reaction when the Bengals kicked the field goal, Martindale said Thursday, "He knew what it was because it was awful quiet when I yelled it across the field. There are some people that take that as a victory. We'll see. We'll have plenty to talk about the next time we play them." "

... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I think Wink needs to scale back the mad dog blitz...

Quote Originally Posted by PFF
    Ravens’ blitz rate against Kansas City since 2018

Game
    Blitz %

2018 Week 4
    43.3%

2019 Week 3

41.9%
    2020 Week 3
    49.0%

2021 Week 2
    18.2%
    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-2-...city-chiefs-35
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

I think he's learned his lesson.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

New game plan worked well because blitzing Mahomes plays to his strengths. Defense should have tackled better but that will get cleaned up. Plus with a quick passing attack it is almost impossible to get sacks. Then if you get sacks you risk roughing the passer flags. Every rule favors the offense and passing.

I've been saying this for a couple years now too. His blitzing scheme works great against young inexperienced QBs but good vets pick it apart.

At this point we have enough personnel to generate pressure with a 4 man front while the linebackers sit back and clog up the zones. Those vacant zones are normally where Mahomes would pick us apart, especially when he extends plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    New game plan worked well because blitzing Mahomes plays to his strengths. Defense should have tackled better but that will get cleaned up. Plus with a quick passing attack it is almost impossible to get sacks. Then if you get sacks you risk roughing the passer flags. Every rule favors the offense and passing.
    It worked okay; KC's offense still scored 4 TD and piled up 405 total yards, 343 through the air. The key being, it worked well enough for the Ravens to win. The blitz-crazy scheme probably would not have.

Next week against the Lions, I feel we're going to see Jared Goff get his ass handed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    It worked okay; KC's offense still scored 4 TD and piled up 405 total yards, 343 through the air. The key being, it worked well enough for the Ravens to win. The blitz-crazy scheme probably would not have.

Next week against the Lions, I feel we're going to see Jared Goff get his ass handed to him.
    The scheme worked great. The execution left a lot to be desired. Tackling was horrific most of the night. Defense definitely missed Elliot. But the key plays when it mattered most are what sealed it and against the reigning AFC champs at full strength, that's the best you can hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    I've been saying this for a couple years now too. His blitzing scheme works great against young inexperienced QBs but good vets pick it apart.
    It was pretty effective last year against Philip Rivers, Deshaun Watson, and Ryan Tannehill.
    In '19 it shut down Russ Wilson and Tom Brady.

That blanket statement doesn't hold true. But it is most definitely true against KC.
    "Chin up, chest out."

He’s backkkk. I’m done with this defensive scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    He’s backkkk. I’m done with this defensive scheme.
    I think it only works with an elite defensive backfield. And good ILB play. Right now, neither group can really support the scheme.

Injuries (Peters), age (Smith), and inexperience (Stephens) limit what the DBs can do. Inexperience (Queen, Harrison) has limited what the ILBs can do.

What I'm most stunned about is the general lack of discipline and aggressiveness. The tackling, team wide, is HORRIBLE. And they do not "fly to the ball" like past Ravens defenses. This just isn't Ravens culture. Or at least not like what we are used to seeing as fans.

A lot of the long TDs scored against us this season have been due to bad angles and poor tackling. Do we need new positional coaches for defense, like what the team did for WRs and they passing game?

Blog Entries

Janus, please tell us which Wink will show up November 7th vs the Vikings. Will it be the one who held the Chargers to 6 points or the one that allowed the Bengals 41 points? ... Bc