Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: “Non” Sack Daddy and Judon

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Yannick Ngakoue was a third round pick by the Jaguars and Stefon Diggs was a fifth round pick by the Vikings. They both played at the Univ. of MD. What is there to say when they can’t identify quality talent at MD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They could have traded for Yannick (or signed Clowney) if they didn't have Judons bloated contract weighing them down

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Those guys don’t fit the “Mighty Men “ idea of this team now. They all prob have some character flaw that throws them off our Big Board.

I often wonder if this team would draft Ray Lewis or Ed Reed now they way they build a team.??

You talking about the same team that drafted Tim Williams in the third round?👀

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Shhhh! We try not to trouble him with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Jaylon Ferguson has been the biggest disappointment for me. I felt he got better each week last year and I really thought that would carry over.

It hasn't. He looks slow, he doesn't have enough power to make up for it. It's just bad.

Judon has also been just bad. They're asking him to do a lot of things, but the problem is he's not doing those things very well. Compare that to Bowser, Bowser is doing a lot of those things well. He looks fluid in coverage, his tackling is better (sans Mahomes sack attempt) and he's getting after the passer a bit better.

Judon did have a good pass rushing week against the Texans though. 6 pressures and Tytus Howard held him three times. So I'll give him credit there.

At this point with Judon, they need to move him. Play him as the Rush LB and let Bowser be the versatile SAM.
    Good take. Ferguson and Judon are a whole lot of nothing. Bowser may do well enough this year to move on. Calais is too old to be in the frame long term (meaning more than a year). So our pass rusher of the near future is . . . .
    The NFL is moving on from HUGE, slow DL to big, quicker guys. Similar to the move some NBA teams are making from center-centrix lineups to "small ball" teams. EDC has a lot of work to do. Our D line of the future is nowhere.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Good take. Ferguson and Judon are a whole lot of nothing. Bowser may do well enough this year to move on. Calais is too old to be in the frame long term (meaning more than a year). So our pass rusher of the near future is . . . .
    The NFL is moving on from HUGE, slow DL to big, quicker guys. Similar to the move some NBA teams are making from center-centrix lineups to "small ball" teams. EDC has a lot of work to do. Our D line of the future is nowhere.
    Well TBF - Madubuike does fit the mold you're referring to.

6'3, 300 pounds, 4.83 speed. Quickkkkk ass feet.

I think he's the 3T of the future. Obvioulsy they need other pieces, but in terms of fitting the mold you're referring to, at least that pick is recognition of the direction we need to go.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Well TBF - Madubuike does fit the mold you're referring to.

6'3, 300 pounds, 4.83 speed. Quickkkkk ass feet.

I think he's the 3T of the future. Obvioulsy they need other pieces, but in terms of fitting the mold you're referring to, at least that pick is recognition of the direction we need to go.
    Agree. I like Madubuike. That's one. Now we need a minimum of two more.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

You talking about the same team that drafted Tim Williams in the third round?
    Didn’t stick around long and that was the old GM. EDC is firmly in Harbs ‘ camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Didn’t stick around long and that was the old GM. EDC is firmly in Harbs ‘ camp.

He stuck around long enough to make to his third year as a Raven which is long enough in my opinion.He just never lived up to his potential which in part was due to him not being to keep healthy weight on his frame but he was basically The Ravens most talented pass rusher.

Jaylon Ferguson has been the biggest disappointment for me. I felt he got better each week last year and I really thought that would carry over.

It hasn't. He looks slow, he doesn't have enough power to make up for it. It's just bad.

Judon has also been just bad. They're asking him to do a lot of things, but the problem is he's not doing those things very well. Compare that to Bowser, Bowser is doing a lot of those things well. He looks fluid in coverage, his tackling is better (sans Mahomes sack attempt) and he's getting after the passer a bit better.

Judon did have a good pass rushing week against the Texans though. 6 pressures and Tytus Howard held him three times. So I'll give him credit there.

At this point with Judon, they need to move him. Play him as the Rush LB and let Bowser be the versatile SAM.
    I agree with all of this.

Ferguson, I believe, had a bad off season in terms of conditioning through the COVID situation, and it shows. He can't be a starter anymore until he is in better shape.

Judon and Bowser have been on the field together in a number of packages - you can drop either one into coverage on a given play, or even both (but then who's rushing the passer)

I don't know if I'm EDC if I try to trade for an IOL or a pure RUSH player but it's very clear to everyone they need to upgrade the RUSH position. I really don't know how they do it without paying a steep price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I don't know if I'm EDC if I try to trade for an IOL or a pure RUSH player but it's very clear to everyone they need to upgrade the RUSH position. I really don't know how they do it without paying a steep price.
    Hope that the Vikings continue to lose and want to recover what they can from the Ngakoue trade. If they continue to be non-competitive they may decide to get what they can back. Shas mentioned it in a thread yesterday and TL has an article about it today. That would be their best hope of addressing it in season IMO.

All options should be on the table after the season. If there is a guy in the draft that you can trade a few picks to go up and get, you need to do that. I don't want them to hoard a bunch of picks in the draft again being on the cusp of a SB and needing a ready to go player to help them get over the hump. IMO they are past the point of needing to stock the team with young talent. They need an impact guy. Not saying to throw the whole draft away but if a guy is reasonably within reach, go get him.

I don't expect them to get involved in any of the big rush FAs but every trade avenue should be explored, every potential cut should be looked into.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Ferguson, I believe, had a bad off season in terms of conditioning through the COVID situation, and it shows. He can't be a starter anymore until he is in better shape.

Judon and Bowser have been on the field together in a number of packages - you can drop either one into coverage on a given play, or even both (but then who's rushing the passer)

This is what happens when you spend ZERO draft capital on the position, knowing that you have THREE UFAs (Judon, Ward, Bowser) at the end of the season and one second year guy (Ferguson) that may or may not develop. The cupboard is bare and there are no available options.

Double dipping at OLB/Edge and DL is a must for 2021.

12. Re: “Non” Sack Daddy and Judon

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    First things first shout out to Bowser. I know he missed that sack on Mahomes but he’s been our best rusher so far and it’s not even close. Where in the hell Jaylon Ferguson? Sack daddy my ass. Judon seemed to check out the moment he didn’t get his contract. I had a feeling when he made those “I’m not the franchise player” comments.
    Ferguson can't get on the field. Playing only ~25% of snaps so far this season (see image below).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Bowser needs more snaps, he's played really well
    FWIW, Bowser has consistently had the 2nd highest snap count among OLBs, trailing only Judon. I'd be ok with giving him more snaps (probably taking some from McPhee with the idea of keeping the vet fresh for both late-game passing situations and late-season games).

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Shhhh! We try not to trouble him with facts.
    Facts aren't going to change his mind. He's got his narrative, and he's sticking to it.

Counting all alignments (includes presnap penalties, image above does not), Judon has 140 appearances/alignments, Bowser 111. They've been on the field simultaneously for 73 of them (it reminds me of late 2019, when the Ravens would put Judon, Bowser, and Ferguson on the field in obvious passing situations). 65 of these have been in the dime. The other 8 were standard nickel. This package wasn't just for a single game either. 22 against CLE, 23 @HOU, 28 vs. KC. 4 of the Ravens 6 sacks have come in these packages: 1 on Baker (Bowser), and 3 on Watson (Humphrey/Campbell, Elliott, Campbell). They're allowing 8.5 yards per attempt (51 attempts for 434 yards) against this package and 7.3 yards per dropback (4 sacks for -27 yards, 3 scrambles for 20 yards).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)