Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens pass-catchers thru 3

Does Duvernay have any drops or was the one an overthrow or throwaway?

2. Re: Ravens pass-catchers thru 3

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    Does Duvernay have any drops or was the one an overthrow or throwaway?
    Not a drop. Possibly a poorly run route, but more likely a misfire or deflection at the line. Broadcast didn't provide a replay, so we wait for all-22 to confirm.

As a sidenote, I like this play design. Get Duv the ball in space with 2 blockers, see what he can do.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    As a sidenote, I like this play design. Get Duv the ball in space with 2 blockers, see what he can do.
    Do I like this play design? Or am I sick and goddam tired of pass plays where only one eligible is looking for the ball and the rest are dedicated blockers?

Can't decide. All I know is that I don't like anything today.

4. Re: Ravens pass-catchers thru 3

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Do I like this play design? Or am I sick and goddam tired of pass plays where only one eligible is looking for the ball and the rest are dedicated blockers?

Consider the situation. There are 5 seconds left in the half. I probably feel differently if the half doesn't end immediately after. I'm just looking to give my playmaker a chance to make a(nother) play.

(But also yes, come back to it later in the week. Today is unpleasant.)
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

One of the most frustrating things I see with Boykin is that he's this really big athletic guy who plays really small IMHO. He does the falling to the ground thing as much as Hollywood, only Boykin has like 6 inches and 40+ pounds on him.

I don't think I've ever seen a WR unnecessarily fall down while making catches as he does...he should be a YAC machine and a guy we feel comfortable throwing a jump ball to in the end zone every now and then...but I just don't see the physicality (ironically, he's a heck of a blocker so he shows it when he's blocking). He just doesn't look as natural as I'd hoped.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    One of the most frustrating things I see with Boykin is that he's this really big athletic guy who plays really small IMHO. He does the falling to the ground thing as much as Hollywood, only Boykin has like 6 inches and 40+ pounds on him.

I don't think I've ever seen a WR unnecessarily fall down while making catches as he does...he should be a YAC machine and a guy we feel comfortable throwing a jump ball to in the end zone every now and then...but I just don't see the physicality (ironically, he's a heck of a blocker so he shows it when he's blocking). He just doesn't look as natural as I'd hoped.
    I know exactly what you’re talking about. Sometimes I just feel like he’s out there too. Nothing about his screams give me the rock. He’s legit just a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I noticed it very specifically in a play against the Texans. It was near the first down marker and he tried to get a few extra yards he showed no physicality to get there.

Blog Entries

Keeping track of Miles Boykin is kinda one of my pet projects.

I am not sure what people expectations are for him.

He's a 3rd round developmental "X" receiver. He some strengths and some flaws.
    If he had fewer flaws he wouldn't have been drafted in the 3rd round.
    Tall, fluid athlete with good speed and agility. Good hands, had a low drop rate in college.
    Decent after the catch but nothing special not his strong suit.
    Lacks nuance and polish as route runner. Some scouts questioned his ability off the line of scrimmage w/ releases.
    Although he had very few drops the paradox was that he had a low catch rate which many attributed to poor QB service.
    But I think he exhibited some issues during the catch process.
    He would often go to the ground unnecessarily...almost as if he was so focused on making the catch with his hands that he didn't finish the routes with urgency to the ball.

I think he has improved as route runner and he's especially improved his release off the LOS.

Last year he was rookie and was the 4th WR in a low volume passing offense.
    Despite being a rookie and the 4th WR he played the "X" WR spot more then any other receiver.
    Playing the X means he does not get scheme help. He is on the LOS and is therefore much more exposed to being pressed at the line. As the X he doesn't motion, which is often used to help create favorable match-ups and avoid being pressed. As the X he will usually face the defenses top CB.
    Also, as the 4th WR he was seldom a primary target.

In the context above his rookie year production: 13 rec, 22 targets, 198 yards, 15.2 ypc, 3 TDs is more then respectable.

This year (3 games): 8 rec, 11 targets, 83 yards, 10.4 ypc, 0 TDs

I don't think we'll know enough about Miles until he receives more opportunity.
    Last edited by edromeo; 09-30-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

9. Re: Ravens pass-catchers thru 3

What about today? Duvernay probably has to make one guy miss to score.

This ball is completely uncatchable. Unclear who is in the wrong (did Lamar throw to the wrong spot or was Duvernay not where he was supposed to be).

What about today? Duvernay probably has to make one guy miss to score.

https://media.giphy.com/media/QPdn7W...r19X/giphy.gif
    I see what you're saying. With a good on-time delivery from Lamar, we've got our electric KR crossing the left hash at around the 40 yard line behind two blockers, heading toward the numbers with our best blocking WR on the DB 10 or 15 yds ahead of him. There's a real chance for a TD here.

I hadn't seen that at all.

GAH! The execution on all the pass plays Monday night — !

11. Re: Ravens pass-catchers thru 3

I see what you're saying. With a good on-time delivery from Lamar, we've got our electric KR crossing the left hash at around the 40 yard line behind two blockers, heading toward the numbers with our best blocking WR on the DB 10 or 15 yds ahead of him. There's a real chance for a TD here.

I hadn't seen that at all.
    I think Duvernay getting tackled is still the more likely outcome, but it's better than the fake kneel hidden handoff they've used before.

GAH! The execution on all the pass plays Monday night — !
    Yea, I'm only through the first half offense on a22, but there are so many plays left out on the field. The Ravens can hang with the Chiefs. They shouldn't be getting blown off the field like they were Monday.

Blog Entries

This ball is completely uncatchable. Unclear who is in the wrong (did Lamar throw to the wrong spot or was Duvernay not where he was supposed to be).
    I think Duvernay getting tackled is still the more likely outcome
    For me Lamar has to put that pass 'on' the receiver frame there.

Yea, I'm only through the first half offense on a22, but there are so many plays left out on the field. The Ravens can hang with the Chiefs. They shouldn't be getting blown off the field like they were Monday.
    Haven't watched the all-22 yet but re-watched the 1st half and some of the 3rd Q last night. And there are a bunch of plays that i would love to discuss/breakdown.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said