Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ravens pass-catchers thru 3

Somewhat shell-shocked this morning. Trying to go thru the motions of doing normal things.

Here's some stats on Ravens pass-catchers. Note that all of these "overstate" the effectiveness of the passing offense, because all of these represent plays where the Ravens actually got off a pass attempt, rather than being sacked. Also not shown here are the number of times Boykin has taken out a fellow route-runner by open field collision.

Player Targ Rec Yds Y/R TD Y/Targ▼
    Willie Snead 8 8 97 12.1 1 12.1
    J.K. Dobbins 5 5 51 10.2 0 10.2
    Marquise Brown 18 12 156 13.0 0 8.7
    Devin Duvernay 5 4 38 9.5 0 7.6
    Miles Boykin 11 8 83 10.4 0 7.5
    Mark Andrews 17 9 109 12.1 2 6.4
    Mark Ingram 4 2 22 11.0 0 5.5
    Patrick Ricard 2 2 10 5.0 1 5.0
    Nick Boyle 5 4 19 4.8 1 3.8

Snead & Dobbins are perfect so far, they've caught every pass thrown their way. (As has Ricard.)

Andrews yards-per would look very different if he had hauled in a couple passes last night, that he got hands on. He & Mark Ingram have the two worst catch% on the team (53% and 50%). Andrews would still have the second-worst even if he had caught two more of his targets last night.

Target Distribution

WR Targ TE Targ RB Targ
    Marquise 18 Mandrews 17 Dobbins 5
    Boykin 11 Boyle 5 Ingram 4
    Snead 8 Ricard 2
    Duvernay 5
    SUM 42 22 11
    WR 56.0% TE 29.3% RB 14.7%
    Last Year: 42.9% Last Year: 42.5% Last Year: 14.6%

The eye-catching thing here is Dobbins presence atop the RB targets board. He was targeted four times vs the Chiefs; the third-most targeted player after Andrews(8) & Marquise(6). If that's his coming out party, and bodes for the future, then that would be the one positive takeaway from last night's game.

Overall I think the distribution is starting to look like the plan for the year. Seems like they gave all of Hayden Hurst's targets (was 9%) and a chunk of Boyle's (was 10%, now down to 6.7%) to the WR group. I like the idea; but so far only Snead is really earning it. Well, and Marquise. Will be interesting to see what happens with the RB% now that Dobbins has stated his case.

Last week's:
    https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...atchers-thru-2

Speaking of Dobbins in the passing game, you might be wondering what RB target% could look like in a productive offense. A couple touchpoints:

• Ray Rice
    In Ray Rice's 4 good years, he all by himself was over 19% targets each of his 2k-scrimmage seasons; 17% and 15% the other two. he never led the team in targets, but he was often third.

• The Chiefs
    Last year's Chiefs targeted RBs 19.7% of the time, led by Damien Williams (37) and Lesean McCoy (34). That number doesn't seem likely to go down this year, after spending draft capital to get CEH. And in fact, even though they have more high-quality weapons at WR than any team in the league (except maybe Dallas?), thru three games KC RBs are taking a smidge over 20% of their targets. CEH is 4th in the team, after Kelce & Hill & Watkins.

• Kubiak 2014
    Flacco threw 19.96% of his passes to RBs in 2014. Justin Forsett(59) led the target charge, followed by Kyle Juicecheck(27). Even Lorenzo Taliaferro and Bernard Pierce caught some.

Point being, RBs are an important part of the passing game. Ours were under-utilized last year; and also thru the first two games this year. Not so much last night, though; the one thing from last night that I would like to keep as things proceed.

Edited to add:

Snaps Distribution (from PFR)

WR Snap% TE/FB Snap% RB Snap%
    Boykin 74.4% Mandrews 68.9% Dobbins 37.2%
    Snead 70.6% Boyle 64.4% Ingram 36.7%
    Marquise 69.4% Ricard 34.4% Gus 26.7%
    Duvernay 13.3%
    Proche 2.8%

That's all plays, not just pass plays, despite the thread title.

Mildly surprised to see Snead edging out Marquise. It's just a couple of snaps; but Snead has played great. And honestly, Marquise has been slightly disappointing so far. I'm mildly concerned that the added weight may have sapped his suddenness.

Dobbins already ahead of Ingram in snaps. That didn't take long.
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 10-01-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Re: Ravens pass-catchers thru 3

And thus ends Jim’s love affair with Miles Boykin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Jim is off Miles now? After this game? Nah, he’s not that fickle.

Documented for posterity last night at 10:01p:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Documented for posterity last night at 10:01p:

Lol, not sure if serious. You’re off Boykin because he bumped into another receiver not once but *twice*?

I don’t get it. You’ll have to explain that.

Blog Entries

"Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    You’re off Boykin because he bumped into another receiver not once but *twice*?

I don’t get it. You’ll have to explain that
    Twice in the last four games. It also happened against the Titans in the playoff game:

Boykin is split left, at the top of the screen

That's Marquise that he meets in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Lol, not sure if serious.
    I spose I'm not sure either. Like a lot of fans, my status this morning is "mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" I don't have any measured, well-considered takes yet.

My take is Boykin really hasn’t taken the reigns as the bonafide third receiving option which is concerning. There is still time but the fact that I’m open to more Duvernay is telling.

My take is Boykin really hasn’t taken the reigns as the bonafide third receiving option which is concerning. There is still time but the fact that I’m open to more Duvernay is telling.
    Agree on all points; but the play-calling makes it hard to know if we're getting an accurate read.

Blog Entries

My take is that if a receiver is getting open and they're not thrown its inaccurate to then say they're not getting it done.

If a receiver isn't schemed to get open and plays called for them they're not going to develop.

If a receiver is open and they receive an off target pass I don't fault the receiver there either.

If you're looking at stats or volume then sure Boykin isn't getting it done. But, what receiver is?
    But, if you look at the actual plays I can't agree with that opinion.

But, I do agree that DuVernay has earned a role in the passing game.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

The only good news there is, that's fixable. COACHES??? Hello?

Did Andrews have his hands surgically replaced with Perrimans