Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Blog Entries

Re: More concerned about the offense or defense?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    my concern is now the Chiefs are solidly in the head of the Ravens. 0-3 against Mahomes. I feel we had a better chance against the old Brady led Pats.
    The Chiefs are to this version of the Ravens what the Peyton Manning led Colts teams were to the Ravens through the 2000s.

No matter how great the Ravens were in any particular year, they could not beat him. They went 13-3 with a back end of his prime Ray Lewis and in their primes Terrell Suggs and Ed Reed in 2006 and lost to him. They played him with Flacco and they got plastered. They couldn’t beat him. They lost 9 consecutive times to him from 2002 to 2012. Of course we eventually did beat him and in spectacular fashion. But it took a LONG time.

A lot of similarities here.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Which begs the question - how exhaustively are the studying what KC is doing and how they are doing it.
    He doesn't have the arrows in his quiver. It is what it is. Like I said in another thread, I was hoping the hiring of David Culley (Reid disciple) meant adding some unique passing concepts on top of Roman's running schemes but I don't see it happening.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. Re: More concerned about the offense or defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The Chiefs are to this version of the Ravens what the Peyton Manning led Colts teams were to the Ravens through the 2000s.

No matter how great the Ravens were in any particular year, they could not beat him. They went 13-3 with a back end of his prime Ray Lewis and in their primes Terrell Suggs and Ed Reed in 2006 and lost to him. They played him with Flacco and they got plastered. They couldn’t beat him. They lost 9 consecutive times to him from 2002 to 2012. Of course we eventually did beat him and in spectacular fashion. But it took a LONG time.

A lot of similarities here.
    I will always and forever blame Gary Baxter for the Colts thing. This came in Peyton's first win against the Ravens (started his career 0-2). Up 20-19 late in the game, 4th and long, Baxter interferes to gives the Colts new life. I wonder if that was the first time I ever saw the Ravens D fold in a big situation (they certainly kept it up that year, letting Tim fucking Couch drive 92 yards in the final 2:18 of the game to give Cleveland a big late season win which got the new franchise into the playoffs for the first and only time btw). Anyway, this is my immediate reaction whenver it comes up that Peyton won X in a row against the Ravens (he didn't lose again until the 2012 playoffs, and he never lost another regular season game against them). There's even a long 4th down conversion (just like Mahomes to Hill in 2018)!

Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Good information there oc21. I appreciate your analysis as usual. It's wild how similar the situations are.

Here's a good thread from Cian Fahey(? i think that's his last name?) on Twitter on why maybe we should be concerned about the defense:

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/1311294897203355649

One takeaway? The safeties were really bad.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

score some points and the defense will look like all pros again.

Gotta love the impact Philip Rivers and Tom Brady have had on their new teams. Colts (No. 1) and Buccaneers (No. 2) are the top-two defenses in DVOA. True leadership from the veterans. So much poise and leadership. Just truly great leaders and we're seeing the results. Leadership

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!