Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Love Romans run game, but his passing scheme is lacking

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    I dont expect Greg to bounce back. He is what he is at this point, a limited passing game coordinator & his playcalling lacks poise and that infects the offense.
    I'm an optimist in that I think both are correctable. I am not saying his passing concepts are going to be the second coming of Andy Reid. But he is better coordinator/playcaller then what we saw monday night.

And I think Greg deserves some credit for the success of this offense. And this offense has been damn good.
    I don't think many coordinators would have this level of success.

He just needs to find better answers against certain styles of defense. I think he needs to focus on beating the Spagnulo/Vrabel defensive schemes.

Now the question about poise....

Caveat: I'm talking about what can be done this season the offseason is a whole 'nother ball of wax
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Pray tell me, what exactly do you expect someone to do with this pass catching talent? Do you actually think it’s good, let alone easily bottom 25% in the league?
    Regardless of where the individual talent in the receiving corps ranks the unit has literally been much more productive in every game then they were on monday.

I think the pass catching talent is bottom 1/3. Their best player is Mark Andrews. They have a young group of wide receivers that are unproven and lack a bona fide prototype "#1". But with all that being said the fact of the matter is the passing game as unit was one of the best in the NFL. How is that for a paradox?

In short; so you don't misrepresent what I've said above:
    (1) - Yes the receiving talent as whole is not very good. To bring a some objective assessment: pff ranks them 25th
    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-nf...corps-rankings

Pray tell me, what exactly do you expect someone to do with this pass catching talent?
    btw-Love the use of praytell....one of my favorite turns of phrase.

what exactly do you expect someone to do with this pass catching talent?
    Maximize it.
    Put players in position to make plays.

(1) Scheme people open.

Just look at some of the Chiefs scoring plays. I know you hate (film) lol so I won't post them ;)
    -the TD shovel pass to FB Sherman isn't about talent
    -the TD pass to the eligible OT isn't about talent
    -look at all the creative formations, motion and shifts that created wide open players

one of the plays Greg called was a half-field roll out right w/ 3 receivers on the short side of the field. But not in stack or bunch. The defense easily covered the receivers that were all in the same tight space.
    Contrast that to some of the RZ plays used in the past where Greg would go 4 sometimes even 5 wide

(2) Use personnel better
    -Many scouts would argue that JK Dobbins is a better back then Clyde, but at minimum they are similar players.
    JK Dobbins wasn't part of the gameplan to start the game.

(3) Have a better opening script of plays

(4) Be who you are-
    We got to the RZ in the first series by running the ball at a clip of 7+ yards per carry then Greg called 3 pass plays that defense covered. It wasn't about execution it was about defensive call being better then the offensive call.

Greg doesn't need to prove anything about the passing game. Don't be cute. Just run the damn ball.
    {this isn't on Greg but on Harbs} be who you are...Harbs had established the Ravens as a team that is aggressive on 4th down.
    Be who you are and go for it on 4th down.

I could go on.....
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Who you got in mind?
    David Culley or James Urban?

I don't know I'm just super jaded by Roman because of the two Chiefs games & the Titans debacle where he just loses his damn mind & completely undermines our success.

I also lived in Buffalo for many years & as others have alluded to, his passing game was whack. I was having Tyrod Taylor flashbacks monday night.

Hope Roman can do better but if he's pull this crap in January again I dont see why we can't give the reigns to Culley. He's always deserved the opportunity & honestly he should've gotten one opportunity sometime in the past decade but we all know there's a barrier for black playcallers.

Why not let him refashion Greg's concepts if worst comes to worst and maybe he can take Lamar to the next level.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Blog Entries

Also...i wonder how much a difference being on the field makes vs calling play from the booth?

I can't help but feel that at least to some degree some of the issues with "game feel" are from being in the booth as opposed to on the field?

Also, I think the playcaller - QB relationship is one of the most important on the football team.
    Lamar being able to talk to Greg on the sideline to feel each other out would be beneficial imho

And if the offensive as whole struggles or the playcalling issues in "big games" continue.....maybe it is time to look at letting someone else call the plays like Culley or Urban

-I would have Scott Linehan on my offseason acquisition
    Last edited by edromeo; 10-02-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Hmmm,

Matt Bowen
    @MattBowen41
    Watched QB Lamar Jackson vs. CIN earlier today.

Lamar missed some throws, locked-on to his primary targets at times.

But the pass game structure was pretty stagnant. Too many vertical concepts.

Expected to see more schemed throws to Brown & Duvernay on crossers.

#Ravens
    This seems like it should be a fairly easy thing to fix and yet.....

Matt Bowen
    @MattBowen41
    One more from BAL-CIN...

Lamar on boot concepts — CIN took that away multiple times vs. pistol/shotgun sets (backside contain stayed home).

Would like to see BAL use Lamar more under center on boot. Get him on the edge (quick)+ force the contain defender to chase run flow.
    At this point teams are rushing straight at Lamar on those boot calls not even giving him time to set his feet.

Have to agree that it’s more scheme than pass catchers. Hell- the Raiders beat KC yesterday and have no “premiere” receivers (sorry Waller fans- Darren’s coming on strong but ain’t quite there yet). They also don’t have an elite QB. Yet they racked up nearly 350 passing yards and 3 TD receptions- including 72-yd and 59-yd TD bomb catches from Henry Ruggs III (who the fk?) and Nelson Agholor. The KC secondary can be beat- the Raiders exploited the hell outta that. Why couldn’t the Ravens?

Still applies.

The Steelers adjusted in second half and stacked/bunched their receivers to get them loose. Why the HELL can't Roman do any of that!?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Still applies.

The Steelers adjusted in second half and stacked/bunched their receivers to get them loose. Why the HELL can't Roman do any of that!?

Because all plays have to be short of the sticks

ugh

Andrews has yet to crack 60 yards in a game this season, and has caught three or fewer passes in five of seven games.

10. Re: Love Romans run game, but his passing scheme is lacking

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Still applies.

The Steelers adjusted in the second half by going spread and playing 4 WRs (which forced the Ravens to play Bonds). Did not see much stacking.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    The Steelers adjusted in the second half by going spread and playing 4 WRs (which forced the Ravens to play Bonds). Did not see much stacking.
    These are the types of plays I'm talking about.

https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/stat...885700097?s=19

https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/stat...411883520?s=19

Like most decently advanced Offense's they have man beaters built in.

Last edited by Justlovemybirds; 11-02-2020 at 01:43 AM.

oy

Marquise Brown was somehow more dangerous 20 pounds lighter and playing with a screw in his foot last year