Uniform colors and TV

Way back in the 1950s two things were really starting to catch on - NFL football and television. Squads, both college and pro, wore their team colors. Since all TV was black and white, it was sometimes difficult to tell who was who when both had either dark, or both had light colors. It made sense then to have one team wear white.

Those times are long past and the rule is no longer valid. The 49ers in red and the Packers in green for instance, are easily discernible in person and on color TV. The experience of seeing them play in their team colors would be far more vivid than the way it is now having one team in white.

Now you might have that 2% of people watching on a B&W set in a kitchen or somewhere, that could still have a tiny gripe, but the solution is ridiculously simple; For the chromatically-challenged TV viewer, you could have one team wear white HELMETS if need be.

Back then, our high school (Bloomfield, in north Jersey) had their traditional Thanksgiving final game against hated rival Montclair. We took the field in the Red and Grey, and Monclair was in blue. It was awesome.

In the late 50s, we were undefeated going into the final game, and Montclair had only one early loss. There were 22,000 people in the stands and Channel 5, in New York decided to televise the game (Chris Schenkel did the play by play) but the television people decreed that one of the teams had to wear white.

Something was lost. It seems a small thing, but a part of the tradition was taken away, and the enjoyment was lessened. It may be time to 'go back to the future'.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Re: Uniform colors and TV

Those times are long past and the rule is no longer valid. The 49ers in red and the Packers in green for instance, are easily discernible in person and on color TV. The experience of seeing them play in their team colors would be far more vivid than the way it is now having one team in white.
    Well, the only problem I could see is when certain teams with the same colors play. Imagine trying to watch the Ravens play the Vikings on Friday with them both wearing purple? Imagine trying to find the open receiver on the team when both the receiver and the defender are wearing the same color or close?

I think the white road jerseys are as much for the teams themselves as they are the fans. Same thing that happens in Soccer, or any sport where there is a lot of fast action.

It brings to mind the great debate in Florida when Vinny was there. He threw a lot of interceptions and everyone was convinced he was color blind. If I recall correctly some smart asses even put up a billboard showing him the color of Tampa Bays uniforms.

What about Navy and Notre Dame? Those two teams are pretty much exactly alike.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Imagine trying to watch the Ravens play the Vikings on Friday with them both wearing purple?
    Don't worry... the new Vike unis are so horrendous, there'd be no mistaking the two.

Quote Originally Posted by IanWhetstone
    Don't worry... the new Vike unis are so horrendous, there'd be no mistaking the two.
    Yeah, what's up with the racing stripes? Is that what they are?
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Nothing is worse than Denver's uniforms. Blech.

Nothing is worse than Denver's uniforms. Blech.
    The NFL really does have some balls. First they tell the CFL stallions they cannot use the name colts, then they steal the logo for the broncos:

can't seem to get the images to work. here are the links:

http://www.misterhabs.com/helmets.htm

http://www.misterhabs.com/helmets.htm
    Last edited by hurting; 08-22-2006 at 04:36 PM.