Page 1 of 18 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS Tracker

Blog Entries

SCOTUS Tracker

Just wanted to start a new thread focusing on the SCOTUS nomination process.

Seems pretty likely that the nominee is going to be Amy Coney Barrett. I haven't researched a ton on her, but from what I have read, she seems to be fairly conservative in terms of how she interprets the law and the Constitution. I think she'd be a good addition to the court.

Obviously the circumstances surrounding this aren't great given that RGB passed away, but this is what you have to consider when you are appointed for "life".

Things I like about Coney Barrett - she's young (late-40's) and she seems to be in line with what I would describe as a Constitutionalist.

Things I don't like - the timing of all this is going to be very rushed and chaotic.

I was talking about this with my wife last night and she asked me if I thought it was in poor taste for Trump to be moving forward with this nomination. My response was that, yes, it does seem to be disrespectful to RBG. However, what keep arriving at is that if Trump were a Democrat and the Senate were controlled by the Democrats, they'd be doing the same thing and everyone (ie, the media) would be fawning over their "strength in a dark time". The reason we know this is true is because Obama nominated Merrick Garland a few months before the 2016 election. Had the Democrats controlled the Senate, it would have absolutely been pushed through and Garland would be a SCJ.

I think Trump's Press Secretary said it best: "He is the President for 4 years. Not 3 years or 3 years and 6 months."
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: SCOTUS Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just wanted to start a new thread focusing on the SCOTUS nomination process.

Seems pretty likely that the nominee is going to be Amy Coney Barrett. I haven't researched a ton on her, but from what I have read, she seems to be fairly conservative in terms of how she interprets the law and the Constitution. I think she'd be a good addition to the court.

Obviously the circumstances surrounding this aren't great given that RGB passed away, but this is what you have to consider when you are appointed for "life".

Things I like about Coney Barrett - she's young (late-40's) and she seems to be in line with what I would describe as a Constitutionalist.

Things I don't like - the timing of all this is going to be very rushed and chaotic.

I was talking about this with my wife last night and she asked me if I thought it was in poor taste for Trump to be moving forward with this nomination. My response was that, yes, it does seem to be disrespectful to RBG. However, what keep arriving at is that if Trump were a Democrat and the Senate were controlled by the Democrats, they'd be doing the same thing and everyone (ie, the media) would be fawning over their "strength in a dark time". The reason we know this is true is because Obama nominated Merrick Garland a few months before the 2016 election. Had the Democrats controlled the Senate, it would have absolutely been pushed through and Garland would be a SCJ.

I think Trump's Press Secretary said it best: "He is the President for 4 years. Not 3 years or 3 years and 6 months."
    RBG said that too. The only thing I think Trump could have done differently is not announce he will fill it until after her funeral. That seems to be part of why he's not announcing who it will be, but he could have held off everything.

My guess is it will also be ACB. We should find out in a few days.

Blog Entries

Politically, it's pretty smart because this will make every MSM jerk and Democrat come out and trash a woman.

Blog Entries

Looks like Lisa Murkowski walking back her comments about confirming Trump's SCOTUS nominee....

I suspect Susan Collins may be next to fall in line.

Blog Entries

Looks like Lisa Murkowski walking back her comments about confirming Trump's SCOTUS nominee....

I suspect Susan Collins may be next to fall in line.
    Polling....

ABC came out today and said that their polls say Trump is ahead in AZ and FL. With other republicans giving the green light to this so quickly, something tells me the polls are telling them to.

Blog Entries

Politically, it's pretty smart because this will make every MSM jerk and Democrat come out and trash a woman.
    Plus it will trigger more rioting and burning which benefits Trump.

7. Re: SCOTUS Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Plus it will trigger more rioting and burning which benefits Trump.
    Probably so on both counts.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/09/22...coney-barrett/

I think once she gets confirmed. The GOP will have no more use for Trump. They got what they needed from him. 30 years majority in supreme court. They'll start trying to regain control of their party. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them hope he loses this November.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddr_jr View Post
    I think once she gets confirmed. The GOP will have no more use for Trump. They got what they needed from him. 30 years majority in supreme court. They'll start trying to regain control of their party. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them hope he loses this November.

Your last statement is true, but I don't think the Supreme Court nominee has anything to do with many of the Rino's wanting him to lose. He's still an outsider to them first and foremost. He's not one of them..

Quote Originally Posted by ddr_jr View Post

The days of Romney-McCain-Flake-Corker-Harvard Club Never-Trumpism are over.

Flake and Corker were repudiated by their own bases and didn't even run again..

Romney went begging for the Secretary of State role, and was told to pound sand...

Every Never-Trump media figure was crushed and driven off their venue.

It isn't that people love Trump... It's that they hated these two-faced hypocrites that have been whoring the country into a leftward death spiral for decades. And while Trump was surely an imperfect vehicle to voice their displeasure... it got the point across.

We'll see if they stay learned or not

11. Re: SCOTUS Tracker

I've been hearing some chatter for a few days about some Dem wanting to pass a bill limiting a SCOTUS term. I kind of blew it all off, thinking that it's just another ploy by a Dem to raise their collective hackles, as well as my belief that it would take a constitutional amendment to do so (I still do believe that). Anyway.....I came across this article about the supposed pros and cons of the idea, as well as touched on the idea of term limits in general. I have to say that it presents interesting points. I know it'll probably never happen, but it makes for a good read, I suppose. Although I'd love to see congressional term limits, I'm not so sure that setting them for SCOTUS is a good idea. I am a bit surprised that a member of Congress wouldn't know that it may (will?) take more than a vote by them for it to come to fruition.

https://wlos.com/news/connect-to-con...-pros-and-cons

Blog Entries

Rumor has it that it’s Amy C Barrett