Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Gale Sayers

Blog Entries

RIP Gale Sayers

Gale Sayers passed away at 77.

He was one of the first memories I have of really being "wowed" by someone's athletic ability on the football field. Obviously I wasn't alive during his playing years, but I remember having an old NFL "Greatest Running Backs" VHS tape that included people like Jim Brown, Marion Motley, Eric Dickerson, etc. But Gale Sayers always stood out to me. He was the one I remember the most from that video when I was a kid and just learning about football. His ability to change direction and accelerate was just absolutely incredible. He didn't play a tremendously long career, but his style influenced countless players.

The NFL definitely lost a great one.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: RIP Gale Sayers

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Cool Re: RIP Gale Sayers

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gale Sayers passed away at 77.

He was one of the first memories I have of really being "wowed" by someone's athletic ability on the football field. Obviously I wasn't alive during his playing years, but I remember having an old NFL "Greatest Running Backs" VHS tape that included people like Jim Brown, Marion Motley, Eric Dickerson, etc. But Gale Sayers always stood out to me. He was the one I remember the most from that video when I was a kid and just learning about football. His ability to change direction and accelerate was just absolutely incredible. He didn't play a tremendously long career, but his style influenced countless players.

The NFL definitely lost a great one.
    Wicked, I'm old enough to remember Sayers' playing days. One of the most incredible games he or anyone ever had was a game in, I believe 1965 against the Niners (and I think it was actually in SF too) where he scored, on a rainy wet field, something like six TDs.

He was the only RB that I ever saw who was more dangerous on a wet field than a dry one.

May he rest in peace!

Blog Entries

I'm another fan who knew Sayers only from the tape but tape was just incredible to watch. Was there ever a running back who ran that smooth and graceful? And his leaping ability was just revolutionary!

Gale Sayers the man was even greater than Gale Sayers the player. Brian's Song remains the greatest sports movie of all time. That story captured the human greatness that comes to the forefront through sports.

RIP Gale Sayers. You truly will be remembered for as long as there is an NFL.

Not the fastest RB, but his vision was phenomenal, as was his ability to change direction.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

I, too, am old enough to have seen Sayers come into the league.

I always had Jim Brown and Gale Sayers as the two best RB’s I ever saw. Barry Sanders may be in that conversation also, but that’s the top three; no question.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The Kansas Comet! We don't have the cool, cool nicknames that they had for players back in the 50s-60-s-70s.

Is it just me, or has there been an unusually dense spate of famous old people dying this year? People in their 70s-80s-90s? Individually none of them a surprise; but a whole lot of them?

It's hard not to wonder about Covid, in that context.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: RIP Gale Sayers

"Brian's Song" was a wonderful 1971 movie "Based on the real-life relationship between teammates Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers and the bond established when Piccolo discovers that he is dying."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068315...m_flmg_act_104

This is the theme song "The Hands of Time", sung by Perry Como :

https://youtu.be/4HEoZGDf4oI

Now is a good time to see it again
    R.I.P. Gayle Sayers... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    The Kansas Comet! We don't have the cool, cool nicknames that they had for players back in the 50s-60-s-70s.

Is it just me, or has there been an unusually dense spate of famous old people dying this year? People in their 70s-80s-90s? Individually none of them a surprise; but a whole lot of them?

It's hard not to wonder about Covid, in that context.
    Road Warrior Animal also passed away today at age 60. He was a legendary wrestler. His son James Laurenitus was a hell of a MLB for the Rams.

You're right. It's been a bad year

10. Re: RIP Gale Sayers

Gale Sayers is the player who's running most reminds me of LJ8. RIP Gale.

Rest In Peace brother. Sayers was like water in motion. Fluid. Sooo smooth. Looked like he could see a “crack” and boom ...he was threw it. Great player and a great human.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was smooth, fast and played hard. Pity too few got to watch him.