Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bradley Bozeman

Re: Bradley Bozeman

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    This board passes judgment on players before giving them a reasonable amount of time for them to learn their craft. Judgment has been passed here (by some) on Makari and by any realistic measure for a UFA he did great and could doing well solving what issues he did have.

Bozeman? He wasn’t considered a starter in this league in any position from what I recall. I cant remember exactly but he wasn’t thought if as quick enough, strong enough to be a center and I don’t recall much talk about him being a guard. Expectations from the media scouts was low. Honestly he is exhibit one in the argument that the national media “scouts” don't know what the hell they are doing.

I’m hoping Phillips is exhibit two.
    Tyus Bowser definitely got that treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    This board passes judgment on players before giving them a reasonable amount of time for them to learn their craft. Judgment has been passed here (by some) on Makari and by any realistic measure for a UFA he did great and could doing well solving what issues he did have.

Bozeman? He wasn’t considered a starter in this league in any position from what I recall. I cant remember exactly but he wasn’t thought if as quick enough, strong enough to be a center and I don’t recall much talk about him being a guard. Expectations from the media scouts was low. Honestly he is exhibit one in the argument that the national media “scouts” don't know what the hell they are doing.

I’m hoping Phillips is exhibit two.
    His downside was always athleticism.

I personally felt his lack fo athleticism as a guard was quite noticable last year. A specific example is on outside zone runs, rather than taking a 90-45 step sequence he would shuffle to get there quicker because he didn't haev the athleticism.

I commented on that quite a bit, but he does look noticably more fluid.

The thing you have to remember is that players can and do develop. I spend a lot of time watching film. My takeaways are usually a stamp in time based on what I can see. I just think the caveat that 'this player can devleop' should always be there, but it has to be reasonable.

I'm quite floored with how much more fluid he has gotten. Doesn't change what I saw last year though.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

I personally felt his lack fo athleticism as a guard was quite noticable last year. A specific example is on outside zone runs, rather than taking a 90-45 step sequence he would shuffle to get there quicker because he didn't haev the athleticism.

The thing you have to remember is that players can and do develop. I spend a lot of time watching film. My takeaways are usually a stamp in time based on what I can see. I just think the caveat that 'this player can devleop' should always be there, but it has to be reasonable.

I'm quite floored with how much more fluid he has gotten. Doesn't change what I saw last year though.
    That's interesting. It seems like athletic traits in general are not areas where we expect players to develop significantly. Technique and consistency can be improved significantly through coaching (c.f. Jackson, Lamar.) And some guys can hit it hard in the weight room and change their bodies significantly. (c.f. Fluker, DJ.)

But generally a guy who is slow stays slow. A guy who plays too high keeps playing too high. A guy who can't flip his hips can't flip his hips. And a guy who isn't fluid isn't fluid.

I'm not surprised that there can be SOME improvement, but we mostly assume the big limitation is genetic. So from a scouting standpoint, how do you spot those athletic limitations where there is significant room for growth?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    That's interesting. It seems like athletic traits in general are not areas where we expect players to develop significantly. Technique and consistency can be improved significantly through coaching (c.f. Jackson, Lamar.) And some guys can hit it hard in the weight room and change their bodies significantly. (c.f. Fluker, DJ.)

But generally a guy who is slow stays slow. A guy who plays too high keeps playing too high. A guy who can't flip his hips can't flip his hips. And a guy who isn't fluid isn't fluid.

I'm not surprised that there can be SOME improvement, but we mostly assume the big limitation is genetic. So from a scouting standpoint, how do you spot those athletic limitations where there is significant room for growth?
    I don't necessarily agree with those that do say some of it can't be developed. You can develop flexibility. A certain piece of it could be simple anatomy, but most can be developed through the right focus.

You also learn how to mask it form experience. Skura is a great example. He had similar concerns, but has gotten so damn good at coming off blocks and taking angles that you mask it. Orlando Brown Jr was on the Trench Warfare podcast with Brandon Thorn and talked about how he does that too.

One thing I do hate from scouts is when they talk about athleticism as a broad topic. For example, saying Tyre Phillips isn't athletic lacks nuance. he lacks foot speed in pass protection, which is a component of athleiticsm, but he has great flexibility through his lower body and is actually quite quick on his feet when pulling, which is the opposite. You just can't use athleticism as a broad term. That's a lesson I've learnt in the past year and something I hope to improve moving forward (I'm 100% guilty of making the mistake I'm tlaking about).

So how do you spot them? You have to scout the traits in a players game and understand how they can be improved upon.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Tyus Bowser definitely got that treatment.
    I know it's a bit early, but that guy has played really well and is on the brink of deserving a modest extension IMHO. Especially considering the only edge guy we have under contract for next year is Ferguson.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I know it's a bit early, but that guy has played really well and is on the brink of deserving a modest extension IMHO. Especially considering the only edge guy we have under contract for next year is Ferguson.
    I find myself rooting for him to be good, but not TOO good.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I find myself rooting for him to be good, but not TOO good.
    HA! Me too - like I want Tyus to be consistent this first half of the year, sign a team friendly extension, and then blow up and go crazy. I know it's wishful thinking and not really based in reality, but wouldn't it be fantastic if it happened?!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

Is it possible that working on his flexibility(perhaps yoga?) along with having more confidence in what he is actually doing and and not having to think about it too much have helped to make him noticeably better this season?