Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey The Jet

Re: Joey The Jet

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post

I don't know about the pocket passer era being dead. It would be awfully hard to back up a guy like Lamar with someone with a similar skillset. We've tried with RGIII, but I'd be just as happy with a Dilferized version of the offense and a solid veteran to run it if we needed a backup.

An older game manager, who can hand the ball off, avoid dumb mistakes, make good reads, and complete the easy passes -- that guy will always be able to find work in the NFL. Of course, that's never really been Flacco's game.
    You and I may agree, but I wonder about NFL owners and what they will be expecting out of their GMs.?

When you look at the hot younger QBs in the league you have Lamar, Mahommes, Wilson, Murray, Watson, even Allen who have a degree of mobility as part of their game. Even Gardner Minshew is a bit intriguing, with some mobility. Prescott is a bit of a tweener--some people may include him on this younger, more mobile QB list

If you skip the older guys (starting with the Flacco/Ryan era) the rest of the younger QBs on the list, who are more traditional, have more question marks than the guys with some legs to their game.

Wentz (who can run a little) is a walking injury report. Tannehill, Goff, Mayfield, Darnold, Carr, Jones, Lock, Tribusky, Haskins and Garopollo are a notch, or more, below the more mobile guys.

I'd say the only young pocket passer with any buzz around him right now is Joe Burrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    You and I may agree, but I wonder about NFL owners and what they will be expecting out of their GMs.?

When you look at the hot younger QBs in the league you have Lamar, Mahommes, Wilson, Murray, Watson, even Allen who have a degree of mobility as part of their game. Even Gardner Minshew is a bit intriguing, with some mobility. Prescott is a bit of a tweener--some people may include him on this younger, more mobile QB list

If you skip the older guys (starting with the Flacco/Ryan era) the rest of the younger QBs on the list, who are more traditional, have more question marks than the guys with some legs to their game.

Wentz (who can run a little) is a walking injury report. Tannehill, Goff, Mayfield, Darnold, Carr, Jones, Lock, Tribusky, Haskins and Garopollo are a notch, or more, below the more mobile guys.

I'd say the only young pocket passer with any buzz around him right now is Joe Burrow.
    Not sure how mobile he is, but Justin Herbert made some incredible throws from the pocket. Looks like an old school pocket passer also.

“In two games this season, Herbert has thrown for 641 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions. He's completed 69.5 percent of his attempts this season.” From 24/7 sports.

May have the best pure arm strength of any QB in his class, though a lot of his passes were short he had some absolutely effortless deep bombs.

When all is said and done he may give Burrow a run for his money from this class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    Not sure how mobile he is, but Justin Herbert made some incredible throws from the pocket. Looks like an old school pocket passer also.

“In two games this season, Herbert has thrown for 641 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions. He's completed 69.5 percent of his attempts this season.” From 24/7 sports.

May have the best pure arm strength of any QB in his class, though a lot of his passes were short he had some absolutely effortless deep bombs.

When all is said and done he may give Burrow a run for his money from this class.

Good point. I kind of forgot he's now active -- and I was away this weekend and didn't see any games :(

True, but are there enough mobile guys to fill 32 starting slots AND 32 backup slots?

The mobility is showing to be a huge weapon. But in terms of QB skills, it is far down the list. (At least it's far down MY list.) Lamar is the most electric runner anyone has seen at the QB position. But the reason he is an MVP is because he is a great decision maker, he reads defenses and leverage extraordinarily well, is an accurate thrower, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you made me pick between two players -- one has all of Lamar's mobility and running ability but none of the plus-passing attributes, and one who has all of those great passing attributes but was as mobile as Peyton Manning -- I would take the second guy every time.

Watching Wilson yesterday...holy shit! That guy is one of the best passers of the football I have ever seen. And if he ran like Scott Fucking Mitchell he'd still be one of the best QBs in the league.
    "Chin up, chest out."

An older game manager, who can hand the ball off, avoid dumb mistakes, make good reads, and complete the easy passes -- that guy will always be able to find work in the NFL.
    Unless he knelt to protest police brutality a couple years too early, before it was fashionable.

True, but are there enough mobile guys to fill 32 starting slots AND 32 backup slots? ...
    I guess what I'm saying is, if you made me pick between two players -- one has all of Lamar's mobility and running ability but none of the plus-passing attributes, and one who has all of those great passing attributes but was as mobile as Peyton Manning -- I would take the second guy every time.
    I think we're just debating two different points. You're making the case for what kind of QB you'd want. And I'm making a case for what may happen over the next couple years in a copy cat league regardless of what you and I would do. To your point, Belichick may swing back to a pocket passer if that pocket passer is talented enough.

While I think owners and GMs may generalize, I agree you have to pick the best QB you can. Look at what Belichick has done with Newton when he was the best option, moving in a completely new direction.

I will say that I think they college game has always supplied a ton of mobile QBs who didn't used to be considered at all. I agree that if they are run only, they still may not get a job, but at least now they will be considered, and given a chance to show they can sling it.

Lamar doesn't have Flacco's arm but he has been pretty damn good none the less throwning the ball.

Maybe the next Kennan Reynolds isn't going to be given a chance to start at QB, but those guys will at least be given a look now, I think.

Blog Entries

I think we're just debating two different points. You're making the case for what kind of QB you'd want. And I'm making a case for what may happen over the next couple years in a copy cat league regardless of what you and I would do. To your point, Belichick may swing back to a pocket passer if that pocket passer is talented enough.

While I think owners and GMs may generalize, I agree you have to pick the best QB you can. Look at what Belichick has done with Newton when he was the best option, moving in a completely new direction.

I will say that I think they college game has always supplied a ton of mobile QBs who didn't used to be considered at all. I agree that if they are run only, they still may not get a job, but at least now they will be considered, and given a chance to show they can sling it.

Lamar doesn't have Flacco's arm but he has been pretty damn good none the less throwning the ball.

Maybe the next Kennan Reynolds isn't going to be given a chance to start at QB, but those guys will at least be given a look now, I think.
    Few QBs have/had an arm like Flacco's. When at the top of his game, he was one of the best. His problem, as has been well documented, was inconsistency (good Flacco/bad Flacco, rinse and repeat), aloofness on the field, and insufficient work to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    Few QBs have/had an arm like Flacco's. When at the top of his game, he was one of the best. His problem, as has been well documented, was inconsistency (good Flacco/bad Flacco, rinse and repeat), aloofness on the field, and insufficient work to get better.
    I agree with most of that.

I think the a whole, "Joe doesn't work hard" thing was a bit of a myth perpetuated by a few sportswriters and radio hosts.

When it came to that I think Joe was not a good PR guy for himself. His super low-key, matter of fact attitude opened him up to the appearance that he didn't care. I think most around him would argue he was actually just as super competitive and dedicated as any professional athlete.

Lamar wears his emotions on his sleeve and says all the right things. His hyper personality gives you the feeling that he's always working.

And he did get better from year one to year three in a way that Joe wasn't achieving in year seven. All that contributes to our impressions.

All that aside, the number one factor in both cases isn't on your list.

I believe that Joe's "inconsistency" stemmed from him just not seeing the field as instinctively well as Lamar does. When Joe was pressured he didn't have the same ability to find the room in the pocket and find the open man.

As soon as Lamar got here Morninweg and and teammates were talking about his vision. I think that is what sets him apart. I would argue it comes into play when he is running with the ball as well. He anticipates where tacklers are going to be and where open field will be...and has the athleticism to step aside and get to that open spot.

Yeah, I’m just talking about backups.

"Chin up, chest out."

It has begun. Joey the Jet has arrived

Well well well.

Joe Flacco indeed returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    It has begun. Joey the Jet has arrived
    Thought the tackle that KO'd Darnold was a little excessive - if a lineman had thrown him around like that it would have been a penalty.