Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey The Jet

Re: Joey The Jet

Flacco being 35, does anyone think he's still got a chance at a resurgence? He's gotten the chance in the last year or so to just sit and heal from any injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Flacco being 35, does anyone think he's still got a chance at a resurgence? He's gotten the chance in the last year or so to just sit and heal from any injuries
    Flacco has never looked right since his injury in 2015. I think he's toast.

I can’t imagine Flacco would go through recovery from a neck injury at 35 instead of just retiring if he still didn’t have some competitive juices. He looked pretty done in Denver, but I wouldn’t bet money against Flacco never having another resurgence.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Not on the Jets. Put him in the Browns offense and he has more talent around him on offense than he's had in his entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    Not on the Jets. Put him in the Browns offense and he has more talent around him on offense than he's had in his entire career.
    Things could change by midseason though, eh? Though Joe was never really all that great with adjusting his protection presnap. Don't know how Becton is looking for them but he is a rookie and maybe going through growing pains

Becton is pretty much the only positive on that entire roster so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Josepho View Post
    Becton is pretty much the only positive on that entire roster so far.
    Well that's something lol.

Becton got injured. https://nypost.com/2020/09/27/mekhi-...n-more-absurd/

Flacco would not fare any better than Darnold.

Quote Originally Posted by G54377 View Post
    Flacco has never looked right since his injury in 2015. I think he's toast.
    Old guys who have some history in the league can hang around for an awful long time as backups after they are no longer good.

Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Doug Flutie, David Carr and our dear friend Matt Schaub off the top of my head all tacked several years onto the end of their career standing around holding a clipboard (well, Surface Pro these days, but same idea.)
    "Chin up, chest out."

People still hold onto hope for Flacco? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Old guys who have some history in the league can hang around for an awful long time as backups after they are no longer good.

Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Doug Flutie, David Carr and our dear friend Matt Schaub off the top of my head all tacked several years onto the end of their career standing around holding a clipboard (well, Surface Pro these days, but same idea.)
    Good point.

It made me check out Matt Schaub's career, recalling he was the back up in Baltimore in 2015, that terrible year with Trestman as OC when Flacco tore his ACL and Schaub got two starts before taking a shot to the chest, yielding to Clausen and Mallet to mop up two starts apiece. Funny to look back and think how people wanted Harbaugh fired bc of it.

Anyway, Schaub is still active in his 17th season and has earned over $130MM. He had about a five year period in Houston where he was the starter and a couple 4,000+ yard seasons. Who would think though that he'd still be collecting a check all these years later.

Hard to argue Flacco can't have the same career if he wants it.

Although, that said, the pocket passer era may be coming to an end, which may make the market for these old dudes less viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Good point.

It made me check out Matt Schaub's career, recalling he was the back up in Baltimore in 2015, that terrible year with Trestman as OC when Flacco tore his ACL and Schaub got two starts before taking a shot to the chest, yielding to Clausen and Mallet to mop up two starts apiece. Funny to look back and think how people wanted Harbaugh fired bc of it.

Anyway, Schaub is still active in his 17th season and has earned over $130MM. He had about a five year period in Houston where he was the starter and a couple 4,000+ yard seasons. Who would think though that he'd still be collecting a check all these years later.

Hard to argue Flacco can't have the same career if he wants it.

Although, that said, the pocket passer era may be coming to an end, which may make the market for these old dudes less viable.
    Derek Anderson had only one full season as a starter. Two others he began the year as a starter and then got benched. He played a total of 13 years in the league -- until he was 35 years old.

I don't know about the pocket passer era being dead. It would be awfully hard to back up a guy like Lamar with someone with a similar skillset. We've tried with RGIII, but I'd be just as happy with a Dilferized version of the offense and a solid veteran to run it if we needed a backup.

An older game manager, who can hand the ball off, avoid dumb mistakes, make good reads, and complete the easy passes -- that guy will always be able to find work in the NFL. Of course, that's never really been Flacco's game.
    "Chin up, chest out."