Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 383940
    Blog Entries

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

Huddle It Up Films
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LwnjpLNUH0

He posted a great cut-up of Lamar's scrambles.
    Would be great for film discussion for those interested......
    The 1st play..
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Thank you for posting this and giving your observation Ed, I've gotten some good observations in the comment section of the video too. I like how you added the fire graphics above. I think I'm going to do a follow up to this in which I pinpoint where the breakdowns occurred, or if it's too long, maybe a few examples of each kind.

On this play, I'd technically chalk up the scramble to Oline protection, specifically Zeus at RT. That's what causes Lamar to move off his spot instead of hanging in for another split second. But I do agree with you that a throw to Boykin is there; it would be a tough throw and maybe not worth the gamble on 2nd down in the red zone. The underneath coverage by the Browns stayed disciplined just long enough to make it a tough throw. They didn't take the bait on Snead or the RB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo 11-26-2020 View Post
    Yeah, i'm a little surprised by Queen play. Granted, I think the scheme requires him to 'take on' OL more then I thought....i expected Queen to be more explosive. Going back to training camp, I thought Queen looked a little heavy. I saw Queens quickness, speed and movement as his greatest strengths and i think he's lost some of that as a result of bulking up and I think he bulked up because he's playing more MIKE/Buck then WILL/Mack and I think he's better suited at the WILL/Mack and Harrison is better at the MIKE/Buck. I'm using Mike/Buck to mean the strongside inside linebacker that is schemed to be the 'take on' guy that keeps the other ILB (weakside) protected.
    I thought he bulked up because of the role he was playing and that defense asked him to get bigger but from the horses mouth:

Quote Originally Posted by Queen
    "It's insane. Last year, I didn't go into the season in shape at all. I came in like 240-something, couldn't catch my breath when we were running. It's just so hard when you're not doing any football activity outside of working out, so that last offseason was terrible. I came into the season, and I was like, 'Bro, this is going to be a long season for me to get in shape.' So, it took me like five games to get in shape, finally. And just coming into OTAs [organized team activities] this year, you get to practice, you get to train, you get to do whatever you want. You could do stuff on your own. So, you've got the resources now to actually get in shape and do what you need to do to be prepared for when we come back to training camp and try to get in football shape. So, it's way better now coming into OTAs."
    You mentioned that you were about 240-something to start last season. Is there a target weight that you have for 2021? (Jonas Shaffer)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen
    "I feel comfortable anywhere, really, as long as my wind is good. So, whatever it takes for me to have my good wind, I'll be straight. Preferably, 235 [pounds] – somewhere in that range."
    https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...-team-activity

Last edited by edromeo; 06-10-2021 at 11:02 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

The 1st play..
    Quote Originally Posted by Huddle It Up Films View Post
    Thank you for posting this and giving your observation Ed, I've gotten some good observations in the comment section of the video too. I like how you added the fire graphics above. I think I'm going to do a follow up to this in which I pinpoint where the breakdowns occurred, or if it's too long, maybe a few examples of each kind.

On this play, I'd technically chalk up the scramble to Oline protection, specifically Zeus at RT. That's what causes Lamar to move off his spot instead of hanging in for another split second. But I do agree with you that a throw to Boykin is there; it would be a tough throw and maybe not worth the gamble on 2nd down in the red zone. The underneath coverage by the Browns stayed disciplined just long enough to make it a tough throw. They didn't take the bait on Snead or the RB.
    Thanks, i'll keep an eye out and look forward to watching it if you are able to follow-up.

As far as the play discussion of the play goes.....I would agree that the breakdown occurred w/ Brown at RT.

I don't think Lamar needed to scramble there.....but that question of "should" Lamar scramble will always be a tough call because he's such a dynamic QB that you could argue its almost never wrong for Lamar to take off especially when compared to every other QB that isn't Lamar.

But, looking at the execution of the play....Lamar had open eligible receivers when he was at the 'top' of his drop back.
    Was Brown getting beat? Yes.

But when Lamar is executing the passing game at high level (like in 2019) these are the types of plays I know and expect him to make.

When Lamar gets to the top of his dropback it looks like he has a clean enough pocket in the to make a throw
    Lamar's helmet seems to be facing the (L) so it seems like he's starting his read on the (L)
    The #1 receiver on the (L) is open on a Post route
    The RB is open in the (L) flat
    The #1 receiver on the (R) is in a reduced split and runs a drag from (R) to (L) and also looks open before he gets to the 2nd hash mark where the ILB steps down to cutoff the drag route
    Then Brown gets beat and Lamar steps through/past the rush to scramble but i think he could have taken a quick hitch up in the pocket (no heel click!) and could have made a throw to the flat or on the drag

my 2 cents

For sure Ed, we're seeing the same things. I think it's really hard to nail it down to one thing on some plays. Really appreciate the feedback. Football is Family.

Don't snap the ball over the QB head
    Dump off to WR
    Run the ball
    Score TD in the red zone

No concepts needed
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huddle It Up Films View Post
    For sure Ed, we're seeing the same things. I think it's really hard to nail it down to one thing on some plays. Really appreciate the feedback. Football is Family.
    From one football nerd to another...anytime bro! Love the work you put in and the content you create, much respect!

Was going to go into some similar plays/route concepts where's he made similar throws to the one we discussed but didn't want to get any more long winded then I am....but imho some of the routes he doesn't pull the trigger on are footwork-timing related...might still post them when i get a chance just to complete my thought on this

Appreciate the kind words. Want to leave this video here too. It shows Lamar's throws on the move so it's related to the scramble video. I think many people have the misconception that Lamar is a one read QB and looks to run if his first option isn't there. I chose the End Zone angle on some of these plays to make for a better video but you can't see the WRs in every play. Still a lot of good examples of Lamar using his legs to get out of the pocket and make a throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPFNyVQ-x28&t=59s

Rashod Bateman- Receptions by route. There are a few routes that could be categorized a couple different ways. But this video gives you a really good idea of how Bateman sets up his routes. Thank you to anybody who gives feedback on what they see. I see a player who does a really nice job mixing up his route speeds and releases. He's very polished, especially for a rookie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoycBE0vkVU&t=261s

Blog Entries

The 1st play..
    ...When Lamar gets to the top of his dropback it looks like he has a clean enough pocket in the to make a throw
    Lamar's helmet seems to be facing the (L) so it seems like he's starting his read on the (L)
    The #1 receiver on the (L) is open on a Post route
    The RB is open in the (L) flat
    The #1 receiver on the (R) is in a reduced split and runs a drag from (R) to (L) and also looks open before he gets to the 2nd hash mark where the ILB steps down to cutoff the drag route
    Then Brown gets beat and Lamar steps through/past the rush to scramble but i think he could have taken a quick hitch up in the pocket (no heel click!) and could have made a throw to the flat or on the drag

my 2 cents
    Was going to go into some similar plays/route concepts where's he made similar throws to the one we discussed but didn't want to get any more long winded then I am....but imho some of the routes he doesn't pull the trigger on are footwork-timing related...might still post them when i get a chance just to complete my thought on this

Blog Entries

Lamar Jackson ranked #6 QB in the NFL (Chris Simms)

Good watch from PFT: Chris Simms QB ranking Lamar Jackson #6

Blog Entries

Greg Cosell + that other guy AFC North
    7:45 Ravens
    Last edited by edromeo; 07-06-2021 at 05:37 PM.