Page 1 of 40 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Thread to catalog and discuss interesting plays and concepts.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

A RB screen
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Week 1: WR Screen

Blog Entries

...umhmmnn STUD

watch @ 1:26 mark

"huymmnnnn STUD......STUD over here"
    Last edited by edromeo; 09-22-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Great play design from Roman that set up some favorable blocking match-ups and lol, Ricard and Boyle absolutely maul their guys, and Mekari gets a nice block too

Ingram gets the easiet TD run of his career
    Last edited by edromeo; 09-22-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Blog Entries

RPO Alert

RPO

okay, i cant remember if i actually shared this thought with the board or kept it to myself, so sorry if it's a repeat...
    i was wondering what football might look like in 10 or 20 years, kind of along the lines of a major shift, the way forward passes must've looked to guys playing in the '50s. there's really only one thing i could think of that wasn't just a gimmick or wrinkle, but actually a whole world of untapped possibilities...the lateral! we saw it here on defense for a number of years with #20, and it was sometimes very nerve-wracking since these were not offensive players and this was not a skill they developed to the extent of other skills (although apparently they did it some at practice).

anyway, i had this thought last year and i completely forgot about it until week 1 when LJ lateralled to Ingram, but if ever there was a team to pioneer the offensive lateral it's this one. they have the best rushing QB, heavy downfield blocking from WR/TE/RB. i wouldnt want anyone but Lamar throwing the lateral, but i really think if they actually put in enough time practicing it it could be devastatingly effective and not nearly as nerve-wracking as when a D tries it.

anyway, this seemed like the place to drop this crazy idea. even if the ravens only ran a couple a game it would be enough to either force a team to gameplan for it, or punish a team with an extra 10-20yds each time, with the occasional long TD. and maybe 20 years from now it'll be commonplace for a team to run 10 planned lateral plays a game.

Blog Entries

The 'lateral' that they did in Week 1 is a component of the speed/pitch-option play they called.
    The QB and the RB maintain their pitch relationship all the way down the field.
    But its not new, its option football.

Blog Entries

Yep. That was one of my favorite plays to run in the old NCAA Football games. TD every time.

The problem with this play is that Lamar is too fast. As he accelerates upfield with the ball, the pitch angle has to change with his speed. Otherwise, a backwards pitch relative to his motion ends up a forward pass, as it did in this play.

Re: ...umhmmnn STUD

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

watch @ 1:26 mark

"huymmnnnn STUD......STUD over here"
    He's so damn fast

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    The 'lateral' that they did in Week 1 is a component of the speed/pitch-option play they called.
    The QB and the RB maintain their pitch relationship all the way down the field.
    But its not new, its option football.

that play wasn't particularly well executed. and that sort of downfield option play, while it isn't the predominant option play where the toss happens behind LoS, does exist, as you point out. i guess what i meant (as far as "concepts") is that there's a whole world of laterals that the football world has barely scratched the surface of. there's basically this option play along the sideline, then the hook and lateral with two receivers crossing in opposite directions, and then there's whatever losing teams do on the last play when they're out of Hail Mary range. those are the only ones i can really think of.

i guess my thinking was this...before the forward pass, every exchange ended behind the line of scrimmage. changing that totally changed the game. but what's left to change in the next 20, 30 years? well, for the most part, every exchange still starts behind the line of scrimmage. what if that wasn't the case? what if teams actually worked on that not as a gadget play here or there, but actually incorporated it as a legitimate concept of their offensive philosophy. the way it is now, offenses and defenses are on pretty equal footing in terms of being able to arrange all the pieces where they want pre-snap, but what if the offense could dictate essentially a second "snap" with a second alignment that they basically control. there's the inherent risk of backward passes being live balls, so i'm not saying a team would do this every play or even a majority of the time, but these could likely be 40-50 yard plays. i dunno. i don't think it's anything we'll see any time soon. when we do see it it'll probably be some high school coach trying to save a season doing something unorthodox, then a college borrows it, then maybe an NFL team catches on later. but for right now as far as "concepts" go i like to think about all the possibilities it could open up.