Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Yeah, i'm a little surprised by Queen play. Granted, I think the scheme requires him to 'take on' OL more then I thought....i expected Queen to be more explosive. Going back to training camp, I thought Queen looked a little heavy. I saw Queens quickness, speed and movement as his greatest strengths and i think he's lost some of that as a result of bulking up and I think he bulked up because he's playing more MIKE/Buck then WILL/Mack and I think he's better suited at the WILL/Mack and Harrison is better at the MIKE/Buck. I'm using Mike/Buck to mean the strongside inside linebacker that is schemed to be the 'take on' guy that keeps the other ILB (weakside) protected.
    I've been back and forth with this through the season so I figured I'd wait and see if anybody else chimed in. I think there's a good argument both ways. I think the Ravens are force feeding Queen to be at Mike, eventually making the calls and being a three down backer.

I know some strongly disagree (and this is a bit off topic to what you're asking) but I'd heavily cut Queen's PT and try to put him in the best situations to succeed. Kind of like a relief pitcher in baseball, let him get some confidence and take it slower.

Fort can handle Mike. Let Harrison continue to thrive at Will. Use Board as your dime backer. Bring Queen in to blitz and match up accordingly. Queen's great plays are fantastic but his bad plays are really bad and killing us in critical situations. The rest of the defense is good. I'd take a safe approach at LB. We don't need a great athlete as much as we do somebody we can rely on.

Blog Entries

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Quote Originally Posted by Huddle It Up Films View Post
    I've been back and forth with this through the season so I figured I'd wait and see if anybody else chimed in. I think there's a good argument both ways. I think the Ravens are force feeding Queen to be at Mike, eventually making the calls and being a three down backer.

I know some strongly disagree (and this is a bit off topic to what you're asking) but I'd heavily cut Queen's PT and try to put him in the best situations to succeed. Kind of like a relief pitcher in baseball, let him get some confidence and take it slower.

Fort can handle Mike. Let Harrison continue to thrive at Will. Use Board as your dime backer. Bring Queen in to blitz and match up accordingly. Queen's great plays are fantastic but his bad plays are really bad and killing us in critical situations. The rest of the defense is good. I'd take a safe approach at LB. We don't need a great athlete as much as we do somebody we can rely on.
    Just looking at the skillset strengths and weaknesses between PQ and Malik I would think that PQ is better suited as a run and chase LB and Malik is better suited to be the downhill thumper.
    But, this scheme seems to place the "green dot" with the "thumper" role.
    I say play PQ as WILB and Malik at SILB and still give PQ the green dot.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Just looking at the skillset strengths and weaknesses between PQ and Malik I would think that PQ is better suited as a run and chase LB and Malik is better suited to be the downhill thumper.
    But, this scheme seems to place the "green dot" with the "thumper" role.
    I say play PQ as WILB and Malik at SILB and still give PQ the green dot.
    What is the reason to have Queen at thumper. Harrison is a big thumper why is he the WILL while Queen his perfect size for WILL. There has to be a reason why Wink is doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    What is the reason to have Queen at thumper. Harrison is a big thumper why is he the WILL while Queen his perfect size for WILL. There has to be a reason why Wink is doing that.
    Like I said a couple posts ago, I'm pretty sure the reason is that they're force feeding Queen, grooming him to play Mike and wear the green dot. He was their first rounder and even though it's clear he's not ready, they're sticking with it.

I don't agree with it, I think you always play your best players. Queen can still be very good but he needs a full offseason. I agree with Ed but the only thing I'd pick at him on is that Harrison is doing plenty of thumping playing Will right now. Every week he's blasting gaps and blowing up lanes. That's why my solution is to keep letting Harrison thrive at Will and play Fort at Mike.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    In Wink's defense the MIKE wears the green dot and maybe they think that when/if Queen is able to adjust to the physicality of the MIKE then his speed will be real asset.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Can't wait to watch the defensive tape for this game. Queen seemed like a different player on TV. Man it would be great if the light suddenly came on. Seeing online that Harrison only played 10 snaps though. Not a fan of that even though Pitt's a quick passing team in general.

Blog Entries

Oz or huddle do you guys happen to have a gif of the over the shoulder overthrow to Hollywood?

Blog Entries

Past due shout outs:

Blog Entries

Successful Play Concepts: Verts (all-go)

Historically, Lamar has been good through all-go special or 4/5 verticals concepts
    Makes a good read here and connects w/ Andrews making a play
    (probably could/should have thrown that ball more on a line then a floater)
    I like his drop here but he takes 1-hitch then settles his feet, and makes the throw without any noticeable front foot strike and minimal weight transfer; but he still has enough arm to get the ball out there
    Last edited by edromeo; 12-07-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Successful Play Concepts: 'Wasp' or Slot/Y Corner + Play action

-The play above is a similar route concept to the Hollywood Brown TD vs the Browns and to the interception later in the game to Duvernay.
    Play-action + 5-step (2 hitches)

This speaks to the predictability of the playcalling, because the passing game doesn't contain many concepts.
    But the concepts has worked against different coverages Cover-3 and man.

Blog Entries

Re: Successful Play Concepts: 'Wasp' or Slot/Y Corner + Play action

This is about as clean and traditional a release/throwing motion you see from Lamar.
    And his footwork was disciplined play-action 5 step +2 hitches
    Lamar show's plus ball location by leading Andrews away from the sideline and upfield towards the endzone.

Blog Entries

Taking the outside the numbers yards the defenses are giving the Ravens

Quick hitch that converts by design (drifts) towards the sideline

'Smoke' route. Sight adjust/audible vs off coverage.
    Another way to take the free yards outside the numbers defenses are conceding.
    I would rather see these passes go to Duvernay or Boykin.
    Duvernay has explosive speed, great hands and is RB-esque with the ball in his hands.
    And the targets will build his confidence.
    Boykin, is one of the only outside receivers (might be the only one) on the roster that has lined up on the outside and won running actual routes that were being defended and not merely given: slants, comebacks, out route.