Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3637383940 LastLast

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Executing a run fake / possible option.
    Do do you think the poor blocking was much on Dobbins? or just Phillips sliding left?

Blog Entries

Re: Film Review: Key plays, Big plays, Interesting Concepts and Miscues (A CLOSER LOOK)

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Do do you think the poor blocking was much on Dobbins? or just Phillips sliding left?
    sure looked like Dobbins left his assignment too early and released as an outlet

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    sure looked like Dobbins left his assignment too early and released as an outlet
    Cole GWNR tweeted this in the early morning hours after the game:

Cole Jackson
    @ColeJacksonNFL
    1:05 AM · Jan 17, 2021
    https://twitter.com/ColeJacksonNFL/s...85564337590272
    I just don’t know what Tyre Phillips is thinking here.

It’s slide protection left to compensate for the overload. But like that’s Phillips man. It’s not even really a debate. He didn’t even help anyone inside.

Inexcusable.

#RavensFlock
    The guy was head-up on Phillips at the line, and Phillips didn't wind up blocking anyone when he slid away from him. Phillips was fucking up all season, so he gets zero benefit of the doubt.

There was a play from earlier this season (not the Bills game), where Dobbins was lined up behind Lamar, and he was supposed to execute a play-fake on the offense's right side. But pre-snap he saw that the defense was blitzing off the offense's LEFT side. Dobbins alertly and correctly bailed on the fake, instead going around the "other" side of Lamar and making a block on the blitzer. The play /looks/ busted: Lamar turns and does a play fake to no one, while Dobbins runs around the other side of him. But it's really that Dobbins was smart & alert.

So we know Dobbins is CAPABLE of bailing on a fake if necessary, to deal with a rusher.

I was wondering if this might be an RPO, so Dobbins had the option of getting the ball and running it outside to the right. If that's the case, then Dobbins really couldn't cut his action short. He would have had to run all the way thru the mesh until he didn't get the ball, before he was free to come back inside to block. If he'd got the ball he would bounce it outside, around that pass rusher.

I think Dobbins executed his assignment on this play, then at the last instant saw the free rusher and tried to lunge at him. Not his responsibility, it was Phillips guy, but Dobbins tried to help (and failed).

Blog Entries

yup after watching sure looks that way Jim ^

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Do you really like it that much?
    Yes.

I mean, I get that it's the best dropback we saw that night. But I don't like how the throw is separated from the hitch. It goes: 5 step drop, hitch, hesitate, throw. That extra beat seems to take it OUT of rhythm.
    Is he in perfect rhythm? No. Is he OUT of rhythm...NO if he was out of rhythm he would be too late or too early or out of sync to the point that he couldnt connect on the throw.

It's very strange and arbitrary to me which plays you choose to nitpick. You nitpick one of his best dropbacks yet ignore plays where the enitre dropback is messed up from start to finish and was the cause of failed play.

Even if it's the best dropback of the night, this to me feels like an example of just how broken Lamar got this season. Even on a dropback where the whole process is perfect, he's STILL either not ready to throw off the hitch, or not trusting what he sees so he hesitates / double-clutches.
    You're preaching to the preacher on this note. Weren't you saying how much he improved in this regard not to long ago?
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Is he in perfect rhythm? No.
    That's what I said.

It's very strange and arbitrary to me which plays you choose to nitpick. You nitpick one of his best dropbacks yet ignore plays where the enitre dropback is messed up from start to finish and was the cause of failed play.
    I already agreed with you that the play was one of his best dropbacks of the night. My "nitpick" is in holding it up as an example of good play. For the best rep of the game, it's not really all that great. It's ok. Only looks good in comparison with his other plays from that game.

The hesitation / double-clutch is super obvious on that play – if anything, it's highlighted by the clean fundamentals of the footwork – and that hesitation is one of the biggest problems in Lamar's play from this year.

You're preaching to the preacher on this note. Weren't you saying how much he improved in this regard not to long ago?
    Yes. And I still maintain that. Rock bottom was before the bye; the Philly game, or the ones leading into it.

(I still haven't had the stomach to re-watch the Chiefs game. Ugh.)

Blog Entries

That's what I said.
    Its not a big deal to me, but that is not what you said you said he was OUT of rhythm.

I already agreed with you that the play was one of his best dropbacks of the night. My "nitpick" is in holding it up as an example of good play. For the best rep of the game, it's not really all that great. It's ok. Only looks good in comparison with his other plays from that game.
    It is an example of good play though.
    All the other plays that you don't mention at all where Lamar's footwork actually causes a failed play is what makes your nitpick of a good play weird.

Yes. And I still maintain that.
    I don't see his improved footwork fundamentals over the final games nor into the post season.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Joshua Harris on What Lamar Needs to Improve
    05:27 / 12:23

https://www.radio.com/1057thefan/authors/vinny-haynie

great, must listen!

Joshua Harris on What Lamar Needs to Improve
    05:27 / 12:23

https://www.radio.com/1057thefan/authors/vinny-haynie

great, must listen!
    Good piece. Direct link:

If I read it right, the interview was from Jan 21.

Blog Entries

No where else to put this....but a sideline stop route from the pro-bowl (2019) w/ good footwork

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    yup after watching sure looks that way Jim ^
    Hey – FYI Cole seems to have reversed himself. There's an excellent Twitter thread where he & Michael Crawford and others are rehashing this play, and who has what responibility in "slide protextion" etc. Cole's posted vid of the Ravens using a similar protection just 4 plays earlier, and Crawford has posted a page from Roman's 2013 playbook showing the protection.

It's an INCREDIBLY informative thread, worth checking out.

One guy suggests that Dobbins initially thought his responsibiliy was the OLB who winds up covering Ricard, and then has an oh-shit moment when he realizes who his guy actually is.

Everyone agrees that Phillips should have at least chipped the guy, and did nothing to "find work" on the play. He's not blameless. But current thinking is that he was Dobbins primary responsibility.

Blog Entries

Good piece. Direct link:

If I read it right, the interview was from Jan 21.
    Great interview w/ Greg Cosell.

Another must listen for the Ravens football Xs&Os diehards.

https://pressboxonline.com/2021/02/0...l-aspirations/

https://soundcloud.com/glennclarkrad...anuary-28-2021