Patrick Queen Is The Real Deal

This kid deserves his own thread, he has absolutely exceeded expectations and I was a big fan of his going into the season. This is the level of play you would expect from a 3-4 year starter who was selected in the top 15 and had a full preseason. Queen was knocked for being inexperienced, not enough good tape, the classic "boom or bust" label slapped on him... so far he's been booming and it seems like he's only going to elevate further as he gets all the rookie jitters out and grows confident in the scheme.

Queen just turned 21, he's one of the youngest players in the entire league, for him to be having this much success early is a revelation for this defense. Speed at the ILB position is at a premium in this league, the amount of ground that I've seen PQ cover over the first two weeks should have all of us pumped. Some of his best plays don't even show up in the stat sheet, multiple times when Watson was running around behind the LOS it was PQ that came flying in to put an abrupt end to Deshaun's improv act. The way he plays as a rusher/blitzer has really surprised me, he just has a knack closing things down in a hurry.

Light feet in coverage, I mentioned this in my pre-draft profile on him but he looks like a big safety in his drop, silky smooth. My only knock on him coming out was his run support, I saw him get lost in the wash a decent amount at LSU. Didn't have his "man strength" yet to dis-engage blocks and rally to the ball carrier. While this is still an area he needs to improve I would say he's ahead of schedule.

Handshakes all around to EDC/Ozzie and everybody involved with the pick. EDC let the GM's ahead of him get cute, overthink, and reach... then he scooped up the BPA that fell to them. That is Ravens drafting 101 and it looks like they have hit yet another home run on a player who should've been picked far earlier.

Re: Patrick Queen Is The Real Deal

He's looked better than I thought. Kids got wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    He's looked better than I thought. Kids got wheels
    Top notch athlete that loves football. It's such a tired trope that you "want players that love the game" but it's incredibly true. The energy he brings is infectious to the rest of the defense, when somebody makes a play PQ is the first guy there gassing them up. When Laremy Tunsil started barking at him he had no problem going right back at him. Those are the players that you want on your team.

I thought that was a big big problem with CJ who was a lot more introverted and soft-spoken (except when he's drunk in fed Hill)

Harrison looks good too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    Harrison looks good too

Harrison has look faster than I thought he would be.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Harrison has look faster than I thought he would be.
    Facts

Blog Entries

Question Re: Patrick Queen Is The Real Deal

I am a patient old man, so I think (no disrespect to the OP) that this thread is premature. Two NFL games? Yes, Queen has looked very good so far, and I'm glad he fell to us (DeCosta) when he did because of our void @ ILB/MLB. "Love at first sight" can lead you to believe things that may not be true in the long run. Can't we at least wait until mid-season (perhaps December? before we shower accolades on a rookie? ... Bc

Queen's speed is evident when you see him on tape. However he does show himself as a rookie who didn't get a pre-season sometimes. He bit on a double-move that David Johnson gave him when he lined up wide in the third quarter, and if it weren't for good pressure up the middle, that would have been a touchdown, 6 pts and Queen would've looked pretty bad on the highlight. I saw him lost in coverage a couple times in addition to that. But it's not for lack of talent, he just needs the experience.

Harrison is faster than many people think; that's what I and several other board members were saying during the draft process. I thought he played very well, even in coverage until the 4th quarter where he was exploited a bit. I think his deficiency as a coverage LB has more to do with what he was asked to do at Ohio St. We'll see how he develops won't we?

Again, considering this was the pair's second NFL game with no pre-season, they're both well ahead of the curve. They're going to be tested even harder against the Chiefs though.