Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Averett

Re: Anthony Averett

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    He can cost us a game with his play.
    ... He sucks.
    What did you see yesterday that was as terrible as all that?

I saw some improvement. He was usually in a reasonable postion, as he normally is, but I thought he even attempted to make at least one play on the ball, which is new.

We need to stop making excuses. Averette has been trash since his first snap. He has never gotten better. He gets beat every game he plays in. He can’t cover at all.
    Well no hyperbole there. People acting like Averette is the apocalypse of our secondary. Simmer down.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Stop saying he is the 5th CB. He is playing in the game. Doesn’t matter if he is the 10th CB. He can cost us a game with his play.

In fact I honestly don’t understand your logic.. so because we have 2 good corners we shouldn’t care that our due to injuries we have a 5th CB that is playing and getting burned?

I’m really confused. It’s not like he is on the bench all game. He is playing! In the freaking game! He sucks.

We need to get a real CB in here due to injury. It happens.

No team just accepts garbage play at a position because he is “5th on the depth chart”. That’s why when key positions get hurt on teams they make trades to patch the hole.
    Is this serious?

You've never seen a bench player go in a game and struggle? Like this is the silliest thing I've read.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    What did you see yesterday that was as terrible as all that?

I saw some improvement. He was usually in a reasonable postion, as he normally is, but I thought he even attempted to make at least one play on the ball, which is new.
    That's what I saw. He's a very athletic player. His issue is awareness and getting his head aroudn to the ball.

At least if you're going to shit on a player, have some substance to your point.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Stop saying he is the 5th CB. He is playing in the game. Doesn’t matter if he is the 10th CB. He can cost us a game with his play.

In fact I honestly don’t understand your logic.. so because we have 2 good corners we shouldn’t care that our due to injuries we have a 5th CB that is playing and getting burned?

I’m really confused. It’s not like he is on the bench all game. He is playing! In the freaking game! He sucks.

We need to get a real CB in here due to injury. It happens.

No team just accepts garbage play at a position because he is “5th on the depth chart”. That’s why when key positions get hurt on teams they make trades to patch the hole.
    I think you are being a bit unrealistic. Sounds like you believe the third player on a depth chart should be expected to step up and start without missing a beat. If the Steelers--who have a very good defense--are forced to play James Pierre, you think he plays just like a starter?

The Ravens have now lost Marshall (he sucks, too, right?) and Young at corner. Harbaugh has talked plenty about how teams will lose RBs and CBs, and you need depth. That's what Averett is there for.

Price Amukamara is out there. Probably for a reason. Someone will probably offer. Not sure he's an upgrade...but he's out there. There are probably some practice squad corners they could look at, if they aren't protected. Brandon Carr is with Dallas. I don't anyone is going to trade a player with a lot of value.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Is this serious?

You've never seen a bench player go in a game and struggle? Like this is the silliest thing I've read.
    The poster is probably taking gas because the Ravens don't have a string of Marsal Yandas on the OL too.

One or two guys in a position group having a hard time? You can scheme around that given some practice time.

Give him some game tape of 2007 if he really wants to see what helpless DB play looks like. I'd specifically call out the Pittsburgh road game and the Colts home game.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    The poster is probably taking gas because the Ravens don't have a string of Marsal Yandas on the OL too.

One or two guys in a position group having a hard time? You can scheme around that given some practice time.

Give him some game tape of 2007 if he really wants to see what helpless DB play looks like. I'd specifically call out the Pittsburgh road game and the Colts home game.
    I jsut think context matters.

Pretty much anytime a corner goes down in a game their backup gets targeted heavily.

I also find it funny becuase the concern from me for our pass D that no one seems ot be talking about is that the TEs caught 9 of 11 targets against us including Akins catchng 7 of 7.

The coverage in the intermediate MOF is STILL an issue. And Travis Kelce is ocming to town.

I think they built the defense to have Jimmy free to man up on Kelce (You build for who you have to beat i nthe playoffs and for us that's KC).

Kelce is going to eat this defense alive if they play like that.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

The board always roasts Frank Walker or Chykie Brown to name a couple for being 5th string CBs that sucked when they had to play, so I'm not going to give AA a pass with that justification in the same situation.

But at the same time I don't think he gave up a score and overall didn't negatively impact them in a big way, so I'm not super upset at his play.

It would be different if he had come in and given up three consecutive TDs and cost us the game.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The board always roasts Frank Walker or Chykie Brown to name a couple for being 5th string CBs that sucked when they had to play, so I'm not going to give AA a pass with that justification in the same situation.

But at the same time I don't think he gave up a score and overall didn't negatively impact them in a big way, so I'm not super upset at his play.

It would be different if he had come in and given up three consecutive TDs and cost us the game.
    Averett is significantly better than those 2 IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Should we talk about anything positive? He played 8 snaps last week. Targeted 1 time and it was an incomplete pass.

https://twitter.com/realjakevogel/st...75900250619905

Here he comes down hill avoids the pick coming at him and blankets OBJ.

I don't know. A whole lot of bitching, at least acknowledge something positive?
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Averett is significantly better than those 2 IMHO.
    He's better, but I don't know if I'd agree with significantly so. We really haven't seen a lot of him, he wasn't very good last year.

I expect if he does end up playing significant time, he'll be exposed the same way they were. Especially given he'll be the whipping boy every team goes after with Peters and Humphrey on the field.

Just my opinion.

I'm not concerned either way. EDC will address it if it's a problem.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

We’re just going to have to live with him ( I don’t think he’s that bad either) most teams would kill to have 3 great corners heck they would be happy with 1. No team has 4 bad azz CBs until yesterday when tavon went down, think about that