Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Averett

Re: Anthony Averett

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    I think they give Averett a few games, KC and WTF, probably Bengals and Philly and if he's not up to it look at a trade. Quite a few teams are way worse than the Ravens at CB and nobody has signed Amukamara yet.
    Yes, 31 teams are way worse than the Ravens at CB...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Yes, 31 teams are way worse than the Ravens at CB...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was happy to give a couple of teams the benefit of the doubt, lol, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    they weren't even trying to clamp down and stop all passing. they were up two scores (or more) the whole second half and were allowing some of the underneath stuff in order to prevent big gains.
    Also very true. They were clearly in (hate this word) a variation of Prevent defense later in the game. I say a variation because it looked like they were playing it between the 20s and on 1st and 2nd down, but then switched to a little more pressure on 3rd downs and if the Texans got into scoring position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk9Xn1KRvwI&t=296s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTzIcOxtY68&t=4s

If anyone's interested, here's a couple of pieces I did on Averett. One is his alignments/assignments vs KC last year. The other is a film breakdown of him vs Miami in the opener last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Hump in the slot is an issue within itself.
    Marlon Humphrey made 1st-team All-Pro last season, while playing as our primary slot corner.

"Issue"?

https://twitter.com/ColeJacksonRSR/s...32811701030921

If you click on that tweet and look at the thread I retweeted, it shows all of the targets against AA.

Two of them were in zone, 1 of which was a screen where he makes the tackle. 1 of them was the Cooks catch that he laid out for and Watson placed perfectly. And the 4th was really his only bad play to me. He breaks on the ball and slips allowing the completion.

So he "allowed" 4/4, but I think 2 of those you can see he breaks on the guy immediately, but is below him in the zone on short passes.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

AA started at Alabama. EDC liked him. That's good enough for me to give him a little slack.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    https://twitter.com/ColeJacksonRSR/s...32811701030921

If you click on that tweet and look at the thread I retweeted, it shows all of the targets against AA.

Two of them were in zone, 1 of which was a screen where he makes the tackle. 1 of them was the Cooks catch that he laid out for and Watson placed perfectly. And the 4th was really his only bad play to me. He breaks on the ball and slips allowing the completion.

So he "allowed" 4/4, but I think 2 of those you can see he breaks on the guy immediately, but is below him in the zone on short passes.
    I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to find it.

With all our corner depth I was shocked to see Levine in coverage last week. Hopefully that doesn't happen against he's ST only at this point

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    With all our corner depth I was shocked to see Levine in coverage last week. Hopefully that doesn't happen against he's ST only at this point
    He is now the #1 option when they go quarters, and the seventh DB.

Against Cleveland, other than the 70-some snaps for the four "starting" DBs, Young had 35 snaps as the nickel, and Jimmy had 24 snaps mostly in the dime, and Averett had eight snaps in the quarter.

When Young went down after three snaps in Week 2, they essentially moved Jimmy up to boundary corner and bumped Marlon up to Young's spot when they played a slot corner. The starters had 59 snaps apiece. That gave Jimmy 50 snaps--they played a lot of nickel. Averrett as the dime got 23 snaps as the dime, and they went quarter ten times, with Levine in as the extra LB/S. (He had 1 defensive snap versus the Browns).

The good news, if Levine worries you, is that he was mostly only on the field in prevent situations at the end of each half, for less than 20% of snaps.

Against the Chiefs I think we can anticipate plenty of Averett. Not sure about Levine, in what should be a close game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    He is now the #1 option when they go quarters, and the seventh DB.

Against Cleveland, other than the 70-some snaps for the four "starting" DBs, Young had 35 snaps as the nickel, and Jimmy had 24 snaps mostly in the dime, and Averett had eight snaps in the quarter.

When Young went down after three snaps in Week 2, they essentially moved Jimmy up to boundary corner and bumped Marlon up to Young's spot when they played a slot corner. The starters had 59 snaps apiece. That gave Jimmy 50 snaps--they played a lot of nickel. Averrett as the dime got 23 snaps as the dime, and they went quarter ten times, with Levine in as the extra LB/S. (He had 1 defensive snap versus the Browns).

The good news, if Levine worries you, is that he was mostly only on the field in prevent situations at the end of each half, for less than 20% of snaps.

Against the Chiefs I think we can anticipate plenty of Averett. Not sure about Levine, in what should be a close game.
    We may need to pick up another CB. There are guys available like Prince Amukamara who would be a major upgrade over Averett.

Levine has really struggled in coverage the last couple of years I'd rather send an extra blitzer then have him drop back into coverage. He just isn't that guy anymore and hasn't been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    We may need to pick up another CB. There are guys available like Prince Amukamara who would be a major upgrade over Averett.
    What do you base that on, out of curiosity? When did you last actually watch Prince play?

He's 31, and he just got cut from a team that had the 25th-ranked pass defense last year. He wasn't even making $1MM. And he's still on the street. How good do you think he is?
    "Chin up, chest out."