Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ravens pass-catchers thru 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Ate_My_Lunch View Post
    I can only recall one missed catch that was right at the goalline, but can't recall which game.
    Game 1:

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

Route: Goalline Square Out / pylon back shoulder?
    Win/Separation: n/a off coverage
    Ball Location: ~1 yard short, low
    Catch: drop (got both hands on the ball btw)
    Play Result/Design: X-Iso Out

I thought his legs needed to get his body/hands into better position to make the catch standup instead of laying out
    -be more explosive/aggressive out his break
    -finish the catch standing up

But at the same time, if that throw was a little higher and yard/yard-n-half deeper – Miles gets his 1st TD of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    A lot of that was a reflection of the defense Houston was playing. They relied on Watt to get pressure on the QB all by himself. That allowed them to play mostly Cover 2, which took away the deep throws to Hollywood. And they put a corner on Andrews most of the game, bracketing him with safety help. That left Boykin as the obvious guy to get the ball to.
    This is why I lavish so much attention on Boykin. Not because I think he's better than Andrews & Marquise
    (maybe in my heart-o'-hearts I nurse the hope that he could potentially have a higher ceiling, in a year or two)
    but because I think he's the X-factor.

Andrews & Marquise are "known quantities", and excellent. But a talented defense that can get pressure with 4, could double Andrews and put some kind of cloud over Marquise. I could see the Niners doing that, or Pittsburgh, or Buffalo. Maybe Indy with Buckner. That would stop our passing game; unless Boykin can make plays. If Boykin steps up, then defenses have an unsolvable problem.

I see Boykin as sort of the key that unlocks a productive higher-volume passing game.

But y'know, forget all that if Snead keeps being perfect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Ate_My_Lunch View Post
    I see him using his frame better than last year. His hands are pretty solid. I can only recall one missed catch that was right at the goalline, but can't recall which game.
    And I don't even put the fault with that incompletion on Boykin.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Great to see Boykin and others taking some pressure off Mandrews and Hollywood -- and being far more than afterthoughts. Spreading the ball around effectively can only be a good thing. Hollywood may be our fastest WR, but Boykin and Duvernay can get deep.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Hope we use our backs in the receiving game more

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    And I don't even put the fault with that incompletion on Boykin.
    I do. I think it's underrated that a lot of these low/seemingly off target throws around the goal line or in the end zone are to eliminate the possibility of an interception. Lamar has respect for defenders in the league.

For example, on the "bad" TD pass to Mark Andrews, Lamar is thinking that there might be a defender behind him that he can't see. He puts the ball in a spot where it can't be intercepted if there is a guy there and trusts his guy to make a tough catch.

On the aforementioned pass to Boykin, if he leads Boykin and throws the ball high that defender can break on the ball. Boykin got out of his break too late (which has always been a problem for him). Lamar made the exact same pass to Ricard. We know Lamar can put the ball where ever he wants, so the consistency of placement tells me he's doing it on purpose.

The nice thing is, that's very fixable from a chemistry perspective.

7. Re: Ravens pass-catchers thru 2

Quote Originally Posted by 4Fights View Post
    Lamar made the exact same pass to Ricard. We know Lamar can put the ball where ever he wants, so the consistency of placement tells me he's doing it on purpose.
    I don't agree with this (and neither does Lamar). He called out the pass to Ricard and the overthrow to Brown at Q2, 05:40 as bad throws. Just because he can make a throw on any play doesn't mean he makes the throw every play.

Quote Originally Posted by Question
    After a game like today when you see the passes you make or don't make working on your own game and seeing how many times you read well. In a game like this how many mistakes do you feel like you made when you go back and watch a film?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Jackson
    I don't know. Probably the touchdown pass to Pat (Patrick Ricard) was a bad throw, but he just made a heck of a catch, and the corner pass to Marquise (Brown), I wish I could have that back. Bring the ball down a little more. That's probably it, though.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

there used to be a position called H-Back (not halfback) that was basically a TE lined up in the backfield, but i don't think people use that term anymore. probably the most illuminating to keep Ricard as a RB. it's not just what he is (TE or RB) when he catches the ball that i think is important, it's where he is overall that reveals what's going on "under the hood" so to speak. put differently, if i wanted to see how successful Ricard might be catching passes against Team X, i'd want to see how well Team X has been defending RB passes moreso than TE passes.

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I don't agree with this (and neither does Lamar). He called out the pass to Ricard and the overthrow to Brown at Q2, 05:40 as bad throws. Just because he can make a throw on any play doesn't mean he makes the throw every play.
    The low and away throw to Boykin seemed to be on purpose because he had a corner on him.

That wasn't the case with Ricard, so yeah, that one was unnecessarily low.

Blog Entries

...The nice thing is, that's very fixable from a chemistry perspective.
    I definitely agree with your last sentence. Some of the incompletions between Lamar and Boykin are chemistry related.

I do...
    ...On the aforementioned pass to Boykin, if he leads Boykin and throws the ball high that defender can break on the ball. Boykin got out of his break too late (which has always been a problem for him). Lamar made the exact same pass to Ricard.
    There's a good discussion on that throw here: https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...93#post1937593

Your statement that Lamar made the exact same pass to Ricard doesn't support the stance that the throw was on target based on Lamar's own admission.

Also, Lamar didn't need to lead Boykin on that pass. He just needed to the pass 'on' him, if that pass is thrown to Boykin's frame then its a touchdown. Boykin had ample separation. If Boykin would have made his break at the same level as the throw then he would have been short of the endzone. And given the amount of time on the clock it wouldn't have made sense because if Boykin gets tackled short of the endzone time could have run out.

I might post some examples where placement could have been.

We know Lamar can put the ball where ever he wants, so the consistency of placement tells me he's doing it on purpose.

think it's underrated that a lot of these low/seemingly off target throws around the goal line or in the end zone are to eliminate the possibility of an interception. Lamar has respect for defenders in the league.
    I agree that Lamar's ball placement is good. But like with every QB, every game is gonna have some throws that they miss.

For example, on the "bad" TD pass to Mark Andrews, Lamar is thinking that there might be a defender behind him that he can't see. He puts the ball in a spot where it can't be intercepted if there is a guy there and trusts his guy to make a tough catch
    You're preaching to the preacher on this one. I agree with you about the Mark Andrews TD pass: https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...90#post1938090
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Lamar made the exact same pass to Ricard.
    I know Ed pointed this out, but just to underline it: in the postgame press conference after the Texans game, Lamar said his throw to Ricard was a bad one, that Ricard rescued with a great catch.

Q:After a game like today when you see the passes you make or don't make, working on your own game and seeing how many times you read well. In a game like this how many mistakes do you feel like you made when you go back and watch a film?

A: "I don't know. Probably the touchdown pass to Pat (Patrick Ricard) was a bad throw, but he just made a heck of a catch...
    So, if Lamar made the "exact same pass to Ricard" as on that goalline throw to Boykin (debatable), then that means the fault for the incompletion doesn't go to Boykin. It's on Lamar. And that would be two bad throws on goalline-outs that he's made in two games.

I dunno if that's something I want to hit too hard. There were plays to be made; Ricard made one, Boykin did not. But I do want to squash the idea that "Lamar made the exact same pass to Ricard" has any bearing on the ball to Boykin being catchable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I dunno if that's something I want to hit too hard. There were plays to be made; Ricard made one, Boykin did not. But I do want to squash the idea that "Lamar made the exact same pass to Ricard" has any bearing on the ball to Boykin being catchable.
    When grading plays I'm looking at the entire volume. And on the whole Lamar is killing it. Every QB is gonna miss some throws every game. I thought the slant to Boykin vs the Browns was a miss on Lamar too. And when it comes to Boykin they are still building their chemistry fault can go both ways on incompletion. The slant he threw to Lamar vs Houston was on point.

For me its important to be able to assess each play has many moving parts that play a role in painting an accurate picture on what happened on a given play. That's why coaches are reluctant to talk about plays from games that just happened without referring to the film first. As Peyton Manning said ~every interception has a story....and no one wants to hear it.