Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Innovative new offense

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Well, how about this?

https://youtu.be/sU5napbfv_o

... Bc
    That was the Browns-Bengals game on Thursday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That's another thing that would be easy to add to an NFL playbook; rugby passing. When teams need a score and do all the laterals it's a mess. In school, having never played rugby before, it took us maybe one or two lessons to be able to do a bit of basic rugby running and passing. It would take pro athletes maybe 30 minutes and it would be pretty unstoppable until teams learned how to defend it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That was the Browns-Bengals game on Thursday night.

... Bc

Great article and I'm glad guys like Riley and Belichick can get paid using his concepts but when is Marion gonna get a shot at a Head Coaching gig??
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

5. Re: Innovative new offense

Quote Originally Posted by HanktheRIPPER View Post
    It would be awesome to have a second QB to do some of the running things like taysom hill. Can’t risk injuries to LJ but awesome to usher in a new age of offensive football
    Huh? What?

The Ravens have gone 20-3 in the regular season since Lamar EXACTLY BECAUSE the Ravens "risk injuries to LJ" every single game. The Ravens risk injuries to Lamar moreso than any other team in NFL history, and last year the Ravens / Lamar broke the QB rushing record and the Ravens broke the all time single season rushing record. There has been a near perfect 1:1 correlation between Lamar's risky runs and Ravens wins. Lamar goes out there in his first start, runs 26 times, most ever, the Ravens win, and the Ravens almost never lose after that.

What you're watching really doesn't have anything to do with having 2 QBs on the field. Having 2 QBs on the field is definitely something I like - and the Ravens did that last year, ran a speed option, with Lamar and RGIII, Lamar runs right, picks up a few yards, pitches to RGIII, and he picks up a few more yards.

What you're watching with this gogo offense is an extra running back in the backfield, in addition to a running QB. Having 3 run threats in the backfield means that the defense is a little more confused, takes a tiny bit longer to figure out who has the ball and where they're running, and it means that Lamar doesn't have quite as many carries, as he is one of 3 run threats as opposed to just 2 run threats. The coach who invented this offense says that it basically isn't super new. You can watch Malcolm Perry with Navy last year, and the flexbone triple option offense has 4 run threats. Malcolm Perry, the Navy QB last year, who ran for 2,017 yards last year, is on the Dolphins now, was drafted in the 7th, and is someone that I wanted the Ravens to draft. Him and/or whoever was the best day 3 or udfa QB at running. I'm definitely of the position that the Ravens should have a backup QB who is the best possible runner. It's possible that RGIII is that guy already. But I'd still fill those backup spots with the absolute best possible runners. I'd fill those spots to overflowing, and the extras might be slotbacks/QBs, and the Ravens will never be short of top quality running QBs.

Right now, Terrelle Pryor is twiddling his thumbs, waiting for a call, he's similar to Taysom Hill, except that Pryor was as starting QB, and Hill never was that, and Pryor was a 1000 yard WR, and Hill never was that. Hill has special characteristics, in that he has the size/height and weight of a running back, of someone who is heavy enough, but still short, to block from the backfield, so that when you're looking for a blocker, Hill is the right size for it.

I really do like 2 running QBs on the field at the same time, because if you have 2 running QBs out there, and neither one of those running QBs is particularly good at throwing the ball, you can get enough adequate quality throwing between those 2 QBs. I'm looking at the Dolphins, waiting to see if the Dolphins decide to dial something up with their 2 new running QBs, Malcolm Perry and Lynn Bowden. Running QBs coming out of college aren't particularly rare. Look for the teams with a lot of wins, and you'll often find a running QB there. What is rare is an NFL coach who can dial up the running QB to 11, and keep it there, and then almost never lose. That's been Greg Roman. The Ravens have Greg Roman. It really isn't clear at all that there's going to be an other team, another coach who is going to want to innovate with the running QB as much as Roman. 26 runs in a game - Lamar - was the record, is the record, and the Dolphins can throw Perry and Bowden out there, get 26 carries out of those guys, they have the superfast Brieda for one of the running QBs to pitch to, they could win a lot. But NFL coaches not named Greg Roman generally don't do that.

In addition to Terrelle Pryor (who I think the Ravens should get, but definitely don't need to get - they're going to win almost always as long as Lamar keeps running) the Ravens can take a look at Khalil Tate from Arizona, who is also sitting at home. If you can gain 327 yards rushing in a single game, I'd think you might be a running QB of sufficient potency. He's practice squad level at this point. From the cover photo of the SI College Football preview issue 2 years ago to not making a team.

For next year, QB King of the Miami Hurricanes maybe?

6. Re: Innovative new offense

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Great article. Next Ravens OC after Roman gets a HC job?
    There you go!

7. Re: Innovative new offense

That's another thing that would be easy to add to an NFL playbook; rugby passing. When teams need a score and do all the laterals it's a mess. In school, having never played rugby before, it took us maybe one or two lessons to be able to do a bit of basic rugby running and passing. It would take pro athletes maybe 30 minutes and it would be pretty unstoppable until teams learned how to defend it.
    Laterals used to be fairly common in the NFL back 60, 70, 80 years ago. More innovative football has been forgotten than is remembered. The problem with laterals is that they tend to mean more fumbles, more turnovers. Back then, based on what they actually did on the field, it really doesn't seem to have been a problem for them - all the turnovers. Watching the pass game back in the 30s and 40s, they just weren't all that good at it. Rounder football, fewer spirals, no pockets, you often saw the thrower backpedaling and then throwing up a bad pass. Football players weren't particularly fast, or, really, particularly good at football. But there were multiple run threats and there was no Quarterback. The ball was typically snapped to the tailback, and there were actually quite a few not very good passes by the tailback. But the fullback also threw the ball, as did the wingback and the blocking back.

Here's one of my favorite old NFL videos. 1939, Lions v Dodgers. There's a formation they used a lot where the Tailback takes the snap, starts to hand to the fullback, and the wingback runs between the TB and the FB and sometimes runs in the other direction. One moment there where the ball could go on the ground to one of 3 ways. great clear color footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYgzZ2eVni8

Blog Entries

I fully expect Andy Reid to run this

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Nick Boyle’s ability to function as an extra lineman could really open up the possibilities with this scheme. I imagine that I if they line him up at right tackle and slide Brown to right guard, the defense will have to stay on their toes to keep track of who checks in as eligible receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Huh? What?

The Ravens have gone 20-3 in the regular season since Lamar EXACTLY BECAUSE the Ravens "risk injuries to LJ" every single game. The Ravens risk injuries to Lamar moreso than any other team in NFL history, and last year the Ravens / Lamar broke the QB rushing record and the Ravens broke the all time single season rushing record. There has been a near perfect 1:1 correlation between Lamar's risky runs and Ravens wins. Lamar goes out there in his first start, runs 26 times, most ever, the Ravens win, and the Ravens almost never lose after that.

What you're watching really doesn't have anything to do with having 2 QBs on the field. Having 2 QBs on the field is definitely something I like - and the Ravens did that last year, ran a speed option, with Lamar and RGIII, Lamar runs right, picks up a few yards, pitches to RGIII, and he picks up a few more yards.

What you're watching with this gogo offense is an extra running back in the backfield, in addition to a running QB. Having 3 run threats in the backfield means that the defense is a little more confused, takes a tiny bit longer to figure out who has the ball and where they're running, and it means that Lamar doesn't have quite as many carries, as he is one of 3 run threats as opposed to just 2 run threats. The coach who invented this offense says that it basically isn't super new. You can watch Malcolm Perry with Navy last year, and the flexbone triple option offense has 4 run threats. Malcolm Perry, the Navy QB last year, who ran for 2,017 yards last year, is on the Dolphins now, was drafted in the 7th, and is someone that I wanted the Ravens to draft. Him and/or whoever was the best day 3 or udfa QB at running. I'm definitely of the position that the Ravens should have a backup QB who is the best possible runner. It's possible that RGIII is that guy already. But I'd still fill those backup spots with the absolute best possible runners. I'd fill those spots to overflowing, and the extras might be slotbacks/QBs, and the Ravens will never be short of top quality running QBs.

Right now, Terrelle Pryor is twiddling his thumbs, waiting for a call, he's similar to Taysom Hill, except that Pryor was as starting QB, and Hill never was that, and Pryor was a 1000 yard WR, and Hill never was that. Hill has special characteristics, in that he has the size/height and weight of a running back, of someone who is heavy enough, but still short, to block from the backfield, so that when you're looking for a blocker, Hill is the right size for it.

I really do like 2 running QBs on the field at the same time, because if you have 2 running QBs out there, and neither one of those running QBs is particularly good at throwing the ball, you can get enough adequate quality throwing between those 2 QBs. I'm looking at the Dolphins, waiting to see if the Dolphins decide to dial something up with their 2 new running QBs, Malcolm Perry and Lynn Bowden. Running QBs coming out of college aren't particularly rare. Look for the teams with a lot of wins, and you'll often find a running QB there. What is rare is an NFL coach who can dial up the running QB to 11, and keep it there, and then almost never lose. That's been Greg Roman. The Ravens have Greg Roman. It really isn't clear at all that there's going to be an other team, another coach who is going to want to innovate with the running QB as much as Roman. 26 runs in a game - Lamar - was the record, is the record, and the Dolphins can throw Perry and Bowden out there, get 26 carries out of those guys, they have the superfast Brieda for one of the running QBs to pitch to, they could win a lot. But NFL coaches not named Greg Roman generally don't do that.

In addition to Terrelle Pryor (who I think the Ravens should get, but definitely don't need to get - they're going to win almost always as long as Lamar keeps running) the Ravens can take a look at Khalil Tate from Arizona, who is also sitting at home. If you can gain 327 yards rushing in a single game, I'd think you might be a running QB of sufficient potency. He's practice squad level at this point. From the cover photo of the SI College Football preview issue 2 years ago to not making a team.

For next year, QB King of the Miami Hurricanes maybe?
    Bruh...way too long. Didn’t read but I agree at the end. The kid from Miami could be interesting 👍

11. Re: Innovative new offense

Quote Originally Posted by HanktheRIPPER View Post
    Bruh...way too long. Didn’t read but I agree at the end. The kid from Miami could be interesting ��
    They're on tv now, up 20-6 at this point.

Harbs should bring in someone every year as an “intern” that has some great new offensive ideas that can work For the OC