3. Marlon Humphrey
    4. Mark Andrews
    5. Hollywood Brown
    6. Marcus Peters (again)
    7. Nick Boyle
    8. Orlando Brown Jr
    9. Mathew Judon
    10. Tyus Bowser

Subject to change of course. Rookies not included.
    Agree with the top 5 in that order for sure. It goes with Ozzie’s philosophy that the idea of a first round pick is to make them Ravens during their prime. Aside from letting Ben Grubbs walk and signing Yanda instead, he never really deviated. Can’t imagine EDC has an issue with that formula. The rest weren’t worth a second contract except for maybe Oher, but not as a LT. As others have said, RT has always been an interchangeable position they don’t pay for, and Orlando is already pricing himself out.

Who do you pay in the next 2 years if you can maybe afford 3

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    1. Lamar Jackson
    2. Ronnie Stanley
    3. Marlon Humphrey
    4. Mark Andrews
    5. Hollywood Brown
    6. Marcus Peters (again)
    7. Nick Boyle
    8. Orlando Brown Jr
    9. Mathew Judon
    10. Tyus Bowser

Subject to change of course. Rookies not included.
    I’m mostly with you here.
    I’m strangely a bit perplexed about peters next deal at the moment... I personally would put Boyle ahead of him and maybe even Hollywood. I also would put Ricard’s next deal ahead of Bowser(and Z2 I’m not there yet.
    I’m basically out on Ingram, Snead, Judon after this year, Tavon Young and Brandon Williams next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jonboy79; 09-18-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Re: Who do you pay in the next 2 years if you can maybe afford 3

If you take the time to play around with figures you will see that a team can realistically afford to pay 6 to 8 guys top 5-10 money, as long as they don't have many mid tier contracts on the books eating up cap space. I think that ends up being how they work it once our young cornerstone players start hitting their second contracts, a la the Chiefs. So, with that in mind I'll say we keep:

Definite: (99.9%)
    1) Lamar
    2) Stanley
    3) Marlon
    Probable: (80-90%)
    4) Andrews
    5) Hollywood (Assuming he blows up the way we all think, and becomes a DJax/AB hybrid)
    Possible: EDIT %
    6) Peters (Again) (they will want 2 or 3 cornerstones on D, and their analytics team values DBs most highly) - 50%
    7) Zeus (2 stud OL is what they've done for basically forever) - 25%

I really like their odds of keeping at least 5 of these 7 long term. The biggest thing that could throw this prediction off is if they find a way to bring in an elite pass rusher that's not on a rookie contract. That would give them better balance between the offensive, and defensive sides of the ball, in terms of their franchise cornerstone players.

Edit- After playing around with the figures a bit, given our situation with the positions our guys are at, I'm going to say they likely let Zeus go; as sad as that makes me. Having him would allocate 5 cornerstone pieces (assuming Hollywood/Andrews both become worth a top 5-10 contract) to offense. I don't see them ever tying up so much of their cap on the offensive side of the ball. They will stick with 4 cornerstones on that side, and 3 or 4 on D. With Lamar & Stanley in the fold, they may feel fine with only 1 stud on the OL, and that would mean OBJ is a luxury. So, I brought his odds down.
    Last edited by tnsmith90; 09-18-2020 at 12:54 AM.

Lamar Marlon Hump. Thats it. Im gonna assume that we have atleast multiple AFC championship visits in the next few years. So our guys are going to get crazy paid.

Andrews is probably gonna get Kittle/Kelce money on the open market. I dont see anyway DeCosta pays that. Someone will pay Zues Jr insane money to be their RT and maybe even LT.

Peters finishes his time here and gets a big contract to be the #1 CB for a bad team.

Hollywood is interesting. I dont know what kinda money he is gonna be getting on the open market and I think that his connection and friendship is Lamar is gonna have an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I’m mostly with you here.
    I’m strangely a bit perplexed about sorters next deal at the moment... I personally would put Boyle ahead of him and maybe even Hollywood. I also would put Ricard’s next deal ahead of Bowser(and Z2 I’m not there yet.
    I’m basically out on Ingram, Snead, Judon after this year, Tavon Young and Brandon Williams next year.

Even with Duv and Proche, I think they try to keep Snead as the veteran guy in the WR corps.
    Heart says Ingram too, but I can't really see how/why unless he accepts a lower salary. Which he might, great locker room guy and he could extend his career a bit by playing behind Dobbins.
    Judon's gone. Bowser can do pretty much the same for half the money (kinda)

Can't we keep all of them? Please please please.

The Ravens have never been super crafty around the cap the way other teams seem to be but maybe they could bring someone in who can work out a way. The thing about that list of players is that not only are they all great players at important positions but they're all good team mates, hard workers and people you want to keep around. The Saints, Eagles, Cowboys etc would find a way to keep them all.

The Chiefs plan would the ideal situation. Win a Super Bowl and have them all sign team friendly deals because they want to stick around.

If we have to choose I'd say
    Lamar
    Stanley*
    Marlon
    Andrews
    Orlando
    Judon

*Stanley is important but successful teams with the highest paid QBs don't tend to spend huge money at O Line. They rely on the QB to help protect themselves with mobility, quick passing or intelligence. If he's looking to beat Tunsil's salary I'd reluctantly let Ronnie go and move Orlando up the priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Can't we keep all of them? Please please please.

The Ravens have never been super crafty around the cap the way other teams seem to be but maybe they could bring someone in who can work out a way. The thing about that list of players is that not only are they all great players at important positions but they're all good team mates, hard workers and people you want to keep around. The Saints, Eagles, Cowboys etc would find a way to keep them all.

The Chiefs plan would the ideal situation. Win a Super Bowl and have them all sign team friendly deals because they want to stick around.

If we have to choose I'd say
    Lamar
    Stanley*
    Marlon
    Andrews
    Orlando
    Judon

*Stanley is important but successful teams with the highest paid QBs don't tend to spend huge money at O Line. They rely on the QB to help protect themselves with mobility, quick passing or intelligence. If he's looking to beat Tunsil's salary I'd reluctantly let Ronnie go and move Orlando up the priority list.
    It’s not like Orlando will be any or at least much cheaper. Would you rather Stanley at $22m/yr or Brown at $18m/yr?
    No question to me, but..,

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I’d argue that isn’t by design, to expect the QB to fend for himself. Teams like Dallas value lineman highly. Lineman worth huge money get huge money, there aren’t enough players of Stanley’s caliber to go around, so when you find one you keep him. Especially going into their prime. Maybe in 6 or 7 years Stanley would be less of a priority, but now you have to pay up.

It baffles me that a fans of a team that watched a HOF left tackle spend his entire career here are willing to let the 2nd best LT in the team's history walk out the door after his rookie deal. Sure it sucks that a "non skill" position will take up a significant chunk of the cap going forward. But 2 things: 1. Skill positions suffer mightily when there is inconsistency along the Oline. 2. It ain't our money! Cap will continue on it's upward trajectory once we are past Covid. This is the cost of drafting well and keeping home grown talent. At points in our past the Ravens had the highest paid MLB, DE, CB, S, LT, DT, QB, TE and K in the entire league. This is just the next round of that. It is what it is.

Yea obj is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    It baffles me that a fans of a team that watched a HOF left tackle spend his entire career here are willing to let the 2nd best LT in the team's history walk out the door after his rookie deal. Sure it sucks that a "non skill" position will take up a significant chunk of the cap going forward. But 2 things: 1. Skill positions suffer mightily when there is inconsistency along the Oline. 2. It ain't our money! Cap will continue on it's upward trajectory once we are past Covid. This is the cost of drafting well and keeping home grown talent. At points in our past the Ravens had the highest paid MLB, DE, CB, S, LT, DT, QB, TE and K in the entire league. This is just the next round of that. It is what it is.
    JO protected a pocket/statue passer. LJ’s scramble ability will allow for a less costly LT solution.

Quote Originally Posted by 52N19 View Post
    JO protected a pocket/statue passer. LJ’s scramble ability will allow for a less costly LT solution.
    Say it’s the AFC Championship game and LJ got banged up the week before. He’s not going to be mobile but he can play. Do you wish they had Stanley then or are you fine with a James Hurst type? Say it’s any game really. You’re going to give a guy 40 million to be a QB and tell him to run the other way if he even sees what’s going on from his blindside.

Some of you guys really seem to want to learn this lesson the hard way about what Stanley means to have sustained success.