Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Who do you pay in the next 2 years if you can maybe afford 3

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    You absolutely cannot let Stanley walk and there is no way they will. Even mobile QBs need a quality line. Just ask Deshaun Watson in his first few seasons.

I think the Ravens will figure out a way to keep the core, and I think that includes Andrews. We have so many young guys right now that will contribute for years without a big payday, and 5th year options. Judon is the only one I can see them letting walk, especially if he only produces less than double digit sacks this year.
    The guys you wont see on the Ravens the next few years will be Peters, Big Baby , Campbell,Boyle, Judon, Ingram, Snead, Tavon Young, Jimmy Smith. Alot of high/ mid range contracts going to be coming off the table or being let go.

First and foremost - Lamar isn't included in this discussion - also I still think he is going to be the first cap % deal signed in the NFL, especially if he wins or is in the discussion for MVP again and/or wins the SB.

Stanley will set the market for LT and it will be with the Ravens. It simply isn't a position that the Ravens or any other competent team lets an all pro get out of town.

Marlon will get paid, by the Ravens. With the deal they got Peters to sign and the Clark and Tavon contracts, they should be able to creatively structure it to make sure he gets Top 5 money. I don't know Marlo personally, but I really don't think he'll hold the Ravens over a barrel as long as they get in the Ramsey ball park.

I think they can actually keep both Zeus and Mandrews. The fact that those are 3rd round guys, they have yet to actually see their big paydays. I think the move is to sign them both THIS year, whether in season or right after it ends. Get them both into the back end of the top 10 for TE and RT and the fact they get to stay and play with Lamar just might get it done. If the Ravens let either of them get to FA, they are gone.

Judon is odd man out - even if he goes nuts and has like a 15 sack season this year, he's either franchised again or he hits FA. Don't think the Ravens sign him long term.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    The guys you wont see on the Ravens the next few years will be Peters, Big Baby , Campbell,Boyle, Judon, Ingram, Snead, Tavon Young, Jimmy Smith. Alot of high/ mid range contracts going to be coming off the table or being let go.
    I can see Jimmy Smith taking a team friendly deal to stay here. And if he's still an effective 3rd corner I don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    I can see Jimmy Smith taking a team friendly deal to stay here. And if he's still an effective 3rd corner I don't see why not.
    Jimmy is making $3.5 mill this year so not much but that goes for all these guys listed. I could see them coming back at a team-friendly rate if the Ravens can make it work. But my point is the money will be there for the Ravens to retain their young core.

2021 Offseason Plan:
    -Extend Humphrey now to flatten the cap impact.
    -Tag Stanley next year since it will likely be lower cap than an extension.
    -Do the same thing with Andrews and Lamar that we did with Humphrey.
    -Resign Snead to a 2 yr 12 mil deal or something like that.
    -Let Judon walk and give Bowser some 2 year 8 mil deal (unless he blows up this year).
    -Cut Ingram and save 5 mil in cap.
    -Extend Elliott now to deal slightly below Chuck Clark.
    -Extend Wolfe to a modest deal.
    -Extend Skura to a modest deal unless he regresses too much this year from injury (that probably allows us a cheaper deal though).
    -Extend Bozeman to a modest deal.
    -Draft 2 Dlineman since both BWill and Campbell contracts are up in 2022 and the DT/DE UFA class is rough next year.
    -Draft 1/2 True tackles to setup potentially replacing Brown Jr. or Stanley (or at least play swing tackle), but, the interior is mostly set at this point.
    -Tender Board original round and Gus 2nd round.

There's more we could do that, but, those are all the highest priority things imho. Regarding Stanley v. Brown we should wait another year, but, invest heavily in the 2021 tackle class. Stanley > Brown since they're both probably going to set the market at their positions and Stanley is a better player (albeit generally has lingering injuries).

I think the original assumption that you can only afford to keep three may be overly pessimistic.

I don't think it is excessive to have one DB, one pass catcher, one QB and two OL among the top paid, for instance. In past years they've typically paid a QB, LT and one or more DL.

You can give Yanda's money to Zeus, for instance. They've always had money in Reed, Weddle or Thomas, which can now offset Henry. They've had money in ILB like Ray and were prepared to pay Mosley, and now they don't have to. Campbell and Wolfe won't be around too many more years. Ingram is probably gone soon, too.

In short, relax, it will work out. They have a plan.

Lamar
    Stanley
    Humphrey
    Andrews

Everyone else we can get along without. Those 4 are the core pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am torn on Stanley. In theory it would be a foolish mistake to let an elite LT go under any circumstances regardless of how good the QB is. Looking at history though the last world class LT to win a ring was Ogden in 2000. We all know it wasn't his world class pass blocking that won us super bowl 35. I think we keep him due to Biscotti and Harbaugh identity of continuity, I only hope DeCosta's magic extends to the salary cap and we can make it all fit.

So Ronnie was out of the '16 draft
    Marlon '17
    Lamar and Andrews '18 (with Zeus)
    Hollywood was '19

Let's hope we're worried about Queen and Dobbins from the '20 draft someday.

I think they can afford to pay one or two franchise players from each draft if they don't spend excessively in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    So Ronnie was out of the '16 draft
    Marlon '17
    Lamar and Andrews '18 (with Zeus)
    Hollywood was '19

Let's hope we're worried about Queen and Dobbins from the '20 draft someday.

I think they can afford to pay one or two franchise players from each draft if they don't spend excessively in free agency.
    Who will be coming off the books in the near future to free us some space? Brandon Williams comes to mind is there anyone else that will come off our books?

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    Who will be coming off the books in the near future to free us some space? Brandon Williams comes to mind is there anyone else that will come off our books?
    Well, Judon has a $16MM cap number this year.

Peters is $15MM this year, coming down to $12MM by '22

BWill will be $14M next year, but that's the last year of the deal.

Campbell is $10MM this year and $15MM next, and then his deal is done.

Jimmy is $3.5MM on a one year deal.

Duvernay probably takes over Snead's role next year. That's $5MM in cap space.

Dobbins does the same for Ingram, and that's another $5MM.

Wolfe is on a one year deal for $3MM.

And of course, the cap typically goes up every year, assuming no long term effects from the 2020 season economics.

And really you only need to do Stanley at the end of this year and Humphrey at the end of next. So a lot of the above mentioned names come off the books as they deal with Lamar, Andrews, Zeus. It's also possible that they extend Lamar early, and it could be friendly in year one.

1. Lamar Jackson
    2. Ronnie Stanley
    3. Marlon Humphrey
    4. Mark Andrews
    5. Hollywood Brown
    6. Marcus Peters (again)
    7. Nick Boyle
    8. Orlando Brown Jr
    9. Mathew Judon
    10. Tyus Bowser

Subject to change of course. Rookies not included.