OT: Belichik's Mom passes away in Annapolis

per the Annapolis Capital newspaper:

Jeannette Belichick, the mother of New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick and a longtime Annapolis resident, has died. She was 98.

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh began his post-practice news conference Wednesday afternoon by offering condolences to Belichick and his family. “It’s a sad day,” Harbaugh said.

The former Jeannette Munn met Steve Belichick in the 1940s at Hiram College, where she taught French and Spanish, and he was a football, basketball and track coach. They were married in 1950 and had their son, Bill, in 1952.
    Bill Belichick would frequently visit his Mom in the offseason, often with sidebar presentations to the Touchdown Club of Annapolis and grant presentations to local high school football and lacrosse teams. Curmedgeon, "Bellicheat", or not, Bellichick is held in high regard locally, particularly by us Annapolis High School grads. (Except for Ravens-Patriots game days). Since his Mom was Bill's last connection to Annapolis, I expect that it would be rare to be seeing him again.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: OT: Belichik's Mom passes away in Annapolis

There's a fair chance that when Bill retires he'll move back to Annapolis. We'll have to see.

He's one of the few guys left in the NFL that keeps the flame alive for the old Baltimore Colts of Johnny Unitas and co. That was his team growing up.

Blog Entries

I saw him a few times when I worked in Annapolis. My favorite was when he was driving down Main St. in a convertible and scowled at me. Closest I ever got to being a professional football player.

He didn’t even bat an eye. Belicheck is a gawd

Pretty classy by two of the best coaches in the NFL - I think it also gives a little insight into the guys BB really respects as peers:

"First of all, I’d just like to thank everyone who’s reached out and expressed their sympathy and condolences for my mom,” Belichick said. Especially, Pete [Carroll] had some really great words and John Harbaugh and many others that I know — friends, football people — and honestly, many people that I’ve never met or contacted before, so do really appreciate the support there."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-his-mother/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Pretty classy by two of the best coaches in the NFL - I think it also gives a little insight into the guys BB really respects as peers:

"First of all, I’d just like to thank everyone who’s reached out and expressed their sympathy and condolences for my mom,” Belichick said. Especially, Pete [Carroll] had some really great words and John Harbaugh and many others that I know — friends, football people — and honestly, many people that I’ve never met or contacted before, so do really appreciate the support there."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-his-mother/
    That was very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    He's one of the few guys left in the NFL that keeps the flame alive for the old Baltimore Colts of Johnny Unitas and co. That was his team growing up.
    Because of Belicek, six of the seven Baltimore Colts in the HOF were selected to the NFL 100-year team. Only Art Donovan (the first Colt HOFer) was missing.