I have observed that the Ravens have become one of the most deliberate play calling teams in both using up the Play clock and running a very low average number of plays every week. 60:40 run. Most snaps are at 1 second. They average 55-60 plays, even in weeks we win by 14+ points. That works fine when we have a lead but every game we have lost, in the last year plus, we fell behind and could not catch up. No ability to go fast. No plan b.

When we fall behind we just have no faster speed option. A Fast, short passing game plan, might need 70 plays to work. When we are forced to run 70 plays we can’t figure out how to win. We seem stuck at 55-60. Hence we come up one TD too short.

We have seen LJ score TD with less than a minute on the clock. So he is not the limiting factor. I figured the slow speed was to give LJ time to process everything because he was a rookie qb but that’s not true anymore. Ball control, slow down offensive game plans only work with a lead. Greg is the limiting factor. He only see the game as a game control type game plan. Can he figure out a higher speed, higher snap count game plan?

Right now I think it is hindering LJs growth as a Qb. He needs to be allowed to go faster. It seems to me one of these cupcake games, against a soft team, would be a great time to switch into a up tempo game plan and up temp game speed. Run a hurry up offense for an entire half. Set a pace where we should get 65-70 snaps instead of 55-60. Snap the ball with 10-15 seconds on the play clock. Don’t give the defense time to sub, time to adjust or even time to recover their breath.

You could even get creative like a Baylor use to. They ran a hurry up offense using one sides wr to run patterns while the others side ran slower to recover from the last play. Do that for a few plays, then have one side run fast patterns and then after a second or two delay have the opposite side runs their patterns. It would destroy any zone spacing and create holes everywhere. Run hurry up for four or five plays, then deliberate plays a couple times and then back to hurry up. Anything to disrupt the defenses rhythm.

Is this why Greg has not lasted as OC before. He has one system, one mind set, ground control offense and if that does not work no plan b? If so can he adjust this time?