Thread: New IR Rules

Blog Entries

New IR Rules

The Ravens haven't really had to use this yet but does anyone expect them to be aggressive with placing injured players on IR? For those that don't know, teams can now put a player on IR and bring him back after 3 weeks. There is no limit to the number of players you bring back. The only caveat that I've head is that a player can only be brought back once. If he gets hurt again and ends up on IR it's then for the season.

What we've seen is a lot of hamstring pulls and joint sprains are ending up on IR instead of the inactive list. It's going to push a lot of practice squad guys and free agents on to rosters. Will the Ravens start using this like other teams have or will they try to keep guys on the roster thinking they could get them back before the 3 week wait?

Re: New IR Rules

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Ravens haven't really had to use this yet but does anyone expect them to be aggressive with placing injured players on IR? For those that don't know, teams can now put a player on IR and bring him back after 3 weeks. There is no limit to the number of players you bring back. The only caveat that I've head is that a player can only be brought back once. If he gets hurt again and ends up on IR it's then for the season.

What we've seen is a lot of hamstring pulls and joint sprains are ending up on IR instead of the inactive list. It's going to push a lot of practice squad guys and free agents on to rosters. Will the Ravens start using this like other teams have or will they try to keep guys on the roster thinking they could get them back before the 3 week wait?
    It's gonna be interesting. Personally, I'd still be careful with the IR. I'd still only want to use it if absolutely necessary instead of playing roster games, especially this early in the season.

They are not going to abuse this option very often. Their roster is loaded so whoever they IR the replacement will be a significant drop off in talent. Looking at the schedule they can work around most injuries until the bye. After that they will need as many healthy active players as possible. The true strength of the Ravens is that they rotate so many players it is always mix and match anyways. If they had eleven three down players on each side of the ball any injury, no matter how small, would be an issue. Right now they have quality depth everywhere. So decrease snap count in a game if needed r even rest someone in a game to give his backup more reps. That’s what they did with Stanley Sunday.

Blog Entries

I think if the Ravens feel a player is likely to lose more than one week, they may consider IR. However, if he's day-to-day, they'll just make him inactive that week. I agree with Jfoh, and don't see them abusing this option... Bc