Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: It's Time for Tony Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Something I didn't think of. Dallas is doing that with Brandon Carr. Not a bad idea at all.

He mentors for the year and gets healthy at the same time while still playing.
    I LOVE that idea. Great for Jefferson who has the respect of everyone on the team. Great for the young guys. Gives Ravens another option in case of injury. And all it cost you is a practice squad spot (and a little $-whatever the difference between vet min. salary on practice squad and another player on practice squad)

Too many posters on here think that becuase he is a good guy, that we should sign him to mentor our young players. That's ridiculous. You don't sign a player to be a mentor in the secondary. We have Clark, Humphrey and Smith to mentor the young guys in the secondary. And those 3 can also play well.

Jefferson by himself caused us to lose games last year. He was out of position, slow to recover, missed tackles, took poor routes to the ballcarrier. Go back and watch those early games he played last year before you talk him up. Chuck Clark would be very hard to replace this year. But there's no way we would look to Jefferson to do that. Let's see how Stone and Warrior develop over the next few weeks. There are safeties with way more speed, range, instincts and health out on the market. Jefferson? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Stovall View Post
    Too many posters on here think that becuase he is a good guy, that we should sign him to mentor our young players. That's ridiculous. You don't sign a player to be a mentor in the secondary. We have Clark, Humphrey and Smith to mentor the young guys in the secondary. And those 3 can also play well.

Jefferson by himself caused us to lose games last year. He was out of position, slow to recover, missed tackles, took poor routes to the ballcarrier. Go back and watch those early games he played last year before you talk him up. Chuck Clark would be very hard to replace this year. But there's no way we would look to Jefferson to do that. Let's see how Stone and Warrior develop over the next few weeks. There are safeties with way more speed, range, instincts and health out on the market. Jefferson? No thanks.
    "by himself caused us to lose games last year".

Lol gtfo.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Go watch the Browns game week 4. Watch the Cardinals game week 2. Don't be frightened by hyperbole. Be frightened by those defending a player who hurt our team's chances to win games. When he was injured, our team played visibly better on defense. Yes Bynes and Fort helped, defensive scheme changes helped also. The Peters trade was the icing on the cake. But Jefferson cannot help the Ravens win NFL football games. But perhaps there is a place for him on the coaching staff when he decides to hang em up.

I would have signed Brandon Carr before I would look at Tony. And even then, not unless there was a reason or need. I think Geno Stone will be a contributor sooner than you think..

Go watch the Browns game week 4. Watch the Cardinals game week 2. Don't be frightened by hyperbole. Be frightened by those defending a player who hurt our team's chances to win games. When he was injured, our team played visibly better on defense. Yes Bynes and Fort helped, defensive scheme changes helped also. The Peters trade was the icing on the cake. But Jefferson cannot help the Ravens win NFL football games. But perhaps there is a place for him on the coaching staff when he decides to hang em up.
    Don't walk back your statement now. He single handily lost games one minute, now he just hurt the teams chances.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

lol Just because you don't understand hyperbole, doesn't mean I'm walking anything back. Jefferson had a terrible season last year prior to his knee injury. There are now 5 pages of posters whose only defense for signing an old, slow, injured, poor performing player to the practice squad is that he is good in the locker room??? What is your actual football reason to sign a terrible football player? I'm trying not to totally bash the guy. He said good things about our organization after being cut. He was well liked by the players. But the player on the field was terrible. Had we played Clark in the Browns game we would have seen the difference even earlier. It's hyperbole dude. We still won 14 games with a poorly performing strong safety playing in a handful of games. But lets not ask him to play any more for us.

lol Just because you don't understand hyperbole, doesn't mean I'm walking anything back. Jefferson had a terrible season last year prior to his knee injury. There are now 5 pages of posters whose only defense for signing an old, slow, injured, poor performing player to the practice squad is that he is good in the locker room??? What is your actual football reason to sign a terrible football player? I'm trying not to totally bash the guy. He said good things about our organization after being cut. He was well liked by the players. But the player on the field was terrible. Had we played Clark in the Browns game we would have seen the difference even earlier. It's hyperbole dude. We still won 14 games with a poorly performing strong safety playing in a handful of games. But lets not ask him to play any more for us.
    You're on point. For whatever reason, there is a faction of fans that think the way you described and no one or no film is going to convince them otherwise. The REAL affirmation of what you're saying is going to come from the fact that the Ravens won't sign him....................and quite honestly, I don't think any of the other 31 teams will be either. He literally WAS that bad.

hy·per·bo·le
    noun
    exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

We were 14-2 dude. Jefferson sucked. Defend his play why don't you.

10. Re: It's Time for Tony Jefferson

Don't know where else to put this. Don't want to make a new thread for it (although it deserves it for sure), so stashing it in a thread about safeties.

Elliott gets the big hit, but Jihad Ward does a ton of work here too. Takes on and defeats Landry, then the pulling tackle (Wills). Strings Hunt out wide, then holds him up for Elliott to demolish (watch how far Elliott travels! Can't wait to see it it on coaches' film).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    rewatched the game earlier today, and this was one of my favorite plays to see again. i'm sure plenty of others are going to complain since they've already made up their minds that he's gonna get injured and miss time this season, but to me this is just amazing. reminds me of some of the brutal tacklers we've had in the past at safety. hits like that force fumbles. wasnt cringey either at the point of contact. didnt seem out of control. sometimes defenders end up taking their own guy out, or just something about they way they close in seems a little scary, but he seemed very focused and controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    I would have signed Brandon Carr before I would look at Tony. And even then, not unless there was a reason or need. I think Geno Stone will be a contributor sooner than you think..
    Agreed on Geno Stone. But I'm obviously a little biased. Lol

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    "How do we know he is not Mel Tormé?"