Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: No Nonsense Simple Law Enforcement Reform Plan

How about the legal system enforced the laws.

How about the media stops pushing a race war

How about letting police do their job

Let’s take the most recent issue. Shooting in Lancaster. The cop was calm. Slowly approached the house. A crazy man comes rushing out the door with a big knife. Chasing the cop. The cop started to back peddle, but probably quickly realized there was no way to outrun the charging man. The ONLY option in that case was to eliminate the threat with force. And it worked. The cop didn’t get stabbed to death.

And what happens? The media promotes another innocent black man killed by police. And the ignorant rioters rush the street to protest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    How about the legal system enforced the laws.

How about the media stops pushing a race war

How about letting police do their job

Let’s take the most recent issue. Shooting in Lancaster. The cop was calm. Slowly approached the house. A crazy man comes rushing out the door with a big knife. Chasing the cop. The cop started to back peddle, but probably quickly realized there was no way to outrun the charging man. The ONLY option in that case was to eliminate the threat with force. And it worked. The cop didn’t get stabbed to death.

And what happens? The media promotes another innocent black man killed by police. And the ignorant rioters rush the street to protest.
    This isn't relevant to what I was talking about at all. You're conflating two separate things.

I'm not talking about the media or district attorneys/judges....that's a totally different can of worms.

What I'm talking about are things directly pertaining to law enforcement operations, policies, etc.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Personnel Hiring Decisions:
    1. More stringent hiring practices to include invasive background checks similar to processing applications for government-issued clearances. Finances, social media activity, third party interviews, multiple psychological evaluations, etc.
    2. Target candidates with specific community roots & create recruitment pipelines with local colleges and high schools.
    3. Stop giving preference/priority to ex-military members (they should go through the same vetting process as everyone else).

Training/Evaluation/Job Requirements - Non Compliance will result in termination of employment.
    1. Bi-annual psychological evaluations to test for PTSD, burnout, etc.
    2. Mandatory time off for LEO's involved in physical altercations/shootings/accidents.
    3. Mandatory psychological evaluations for LEO's involved in physical altercations/shootings/accidents.
    4. Mandatory 4-hrs per week training in hand-to-hand combat.
    5. Mandatory 2-hrs per week firearm training.
    6. Mandatory quarterly training sessions on de-escalation tactics.
    7. Mandatory bi-annual training on (relevant) regional combat tactics (ie, urban combat versus rural) - to include regional cultural training and effective policing techniques.
    8. Mandatory annual physical fitness evaluation (ie, strength assessment, chase-and-catch scenario, endurance test) - failure to meet minimum standards will result in administrative actions and, eventual employment termination.
    9. Mandatory bodycams on at all times. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary actions.

Disciplinary Actions - LEO's are in positions of power and need to be held to a higher standard.
    1. Zero-tolerance policy for DUI's, drug use, domestic violence, assault, etc.
    2. Complaints will be handled in accordance to local law/statutes and will be investigated/assessed by independent 3rd parties. Depending on severity of complaint, LEO will be placed on administrative leave or placed on in-office, unarmed, admin duties.
    3. LEO's involved in situation where suspect dies, or is killed, will be automatically placed on administrative leave and have a formal investigation conducted by an independent 3rd party that will make recommendation to the department's Chief and the District Attorney. Also, depending on the situation, even if the District Attorney opts to not pursue legal action against the LEO, the Chief may determine this person is unfit to wear a badge and terminate their employment or re-assign them to a non-combative role within the department.
    4. Multiple complaints issued against a LEO can trigger an option for the Chief to terminate that person's employment (eg, where there is smoke clause).

Department Leadership Accountability
    1. LEO's are no longer measured quantitatively for arrests.
    2. Department leadership is accountable to joint review boards headed up by city/municipality representatives and community representatives.
    3. Departments with complaints against 3 or more LEO offenders, will automatically trigger an investigation by an independent 3rd party.
    You would think most of this is already in place. If not it should be. You have to watch out for false complaints and frivolous lawsuits so it'd be very important on who the 3rd party that do the outside investigations are. Also are all leaves paid or unpaid?

I didn't cut/paste.

Some things that are in place already - good.

What things weaken security? What is crazy?
    targeting candidates with community roots. You could easily have cops looking the other way to avoid a friend getting in trouble

What makes you think ex military doesn’t go through the same process??

Bi annual psyc exams?? Are you kidding? For every cop? Or for every citizen?

Mandatory 4 hr hand to hand combat??? Are you encouraging more physical attacks and violence?

2 hr week firearm testing is excessive. And extremely expensive.

This isn't relevant to what I was talking about at all. You're conflating two separate things.

I'm not talking about the media or district attorneys/judges....that's a totally different can of worms.

What I'm talking about are things directly pertaining to law enforcement operations, policies, etc.
    It is 100% relevant. How can you say it isn’t. You want police accountable woth training, body cams accountability. I gave you the most recent example of how the other things that I listed would make all of your suggestions irrelevant.

Again. Number 1. Stop committing crimes. 2. Of you commit a crime, you need to be held accountable. 3 start going after media for false stores that stir the pot. 4 prosecute rioters.

We have thousands of police interactions every year. And less than 1% are bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willbacker View Post
    You would think most of this is already in place. If not it should be. You have to watch out for false complaints and frivolous lawsuits so it'd be very important on who the 3rd party that do the outside investigations are. Also are all leaves paid or unpaid?
    Typically administrative leave is paid, but eats into earned time off (IIRC).

Blog Entries

targeting candidates with community roots. You could easily have cops looking the other way to avoid a friend getting in trouble

Mandatory 4 hr hand to hand combat??? Are you encouraging more physical attacks and violence?

Being on edge all day everyday leads to PTSD. It's not some extreme position to have Cops go through psych-exams, maybe you could find people who need help before it gets bad.

The hand to hand combat COULD be useful as a means of deescalation without having to use a weapon.

Blog Entries

I think you may have misunderstood me. The point of this is you don't want to take Jim Bob Johnson from Topeka Kansas and immediately drop him into center-city Baltimore. Not only are you setting that person up for failure, but you're putting the community in jeopardy as well from a policing perspective because he may not understand certain elements that could help deal with specific situations.

My sense is that it would be better for the community and for the police officers themselves if they are local and have cultural/communal similarities and shared history with the areas they're policing.

Because I know they aren't. I applied for State Trooper in PA, MD, and NJ years ago and they give more "applicant" points to ex-military thereby increasing their chances of being hired versus someone that has no military experience. This is largely because they are already trained in things like firearms, combat, use of force continuum, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad
    For every cop. This job takes a toll on people mentally. PTSD is a real thing and it manifests differently in different people. We're putting men and women into potentially highly volatile situations where we are arming them with weapons. We need to make sure they're ok and that their mental health is positive.

I'm honestly a little shocked that you would even have a problem with that.

Cops are people too. They have the same people problems that everyone else does - including mental illness.

This comment has to be a joke. Do you know how many cops that are in this country that don't know how to fight? I think it would be shocking if we polled the number of cops in this country that had taken little or no martial arts or hand-to-hand combat training after the academy. Jujitsu....Krav Maga....not only would consistent training for these things keep people in better shape (physically), but it would also teach them to stay calm and confident in their abilities during altercations with someone and potentially deal with a suspect in a non-lethal way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad
    Expensive? Yea. It isn't cheap. However, most cops go through academy where they get firearm training and then that's it unless they elect to go to the range on their personal time and train. 2 hours out of a 40-hour work week isn't an exceptionally crazy ask for people that are going to be using a handgun or rifle as a primary tool to do their job.

Blog Entries

It is 100% relevant. How can you say it isn’t. You want police accountable woth training, body cams accountability. I gave you the most recent example of how the other things that I listed would make all of your suggestions irrelevant.

Again. Number 1. Stop committing crimes. 2. Of you commit a crime, you need to be held accountable. 3 start going after media for false stores that stir the pot. 4 prosecute rioters.

We have thousands of police interactions every year. And less than 1% are bad.
    I'm not talking about people committing crimes.

I'm talking about police departments being put in a better position to do their jobs.

You're trying to introduce the media and people committing crimes. Totally different topics.

I'm not talking about people committing crimes.

I'm talking about police departments being put in a better position to do their jobs.

You're trying to introduce the media and people committing crimes. Totally different topics.
    No, I am just countering the claim that all cops are bad. Your list suggests that all cops are bad. But in reality, we are talking less than 1%. Try to find any other professional woth a perfect workforce.
    You don’t see doctored being forced to practice opening up patients to look for watches and rings, because some doctor dropped his watch in a patient.

Again, don’t break the law, enforce current laws, punish bad apples. And 99% of the issues are gone.

Your list suggests that all cops are bad.
    No it doesn't.

Making something better doesn't mean it was bad before.

Blog Entries

No, I am just countering the claim that all cops are bad. Your list suggests that all cops are bad. But in reality, we are talking less than 1%. Try to find any other professional woth a perfect workforce.
    You don’t see doctored being forced to practice opening up patients to look for watches and rings, because some doctor dropped his watch in a patient.

Again, don’t break the law, enforce current laws, punish bad apples. And 99% of the issues are gone.
    I think you're being overly sensitive if you felt my list of things to reform policing and police departments is suggesting that all cops are bad.

A lot of the things I proposed are things that I know a lot of LE professionals want.