Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

No Nonsense Simple Law Enforcement Reform Plan

Personnel Hiring Decisions:
    1. More stringent hiring practices to include invasive background checks similar to processing applications for government-issued clearances. Finances, social media activity, third party interviews, multiple psychological evaluations, etc.
    2. Target candidates with specific community roots & create recruitment pipelines with local colleges and high schools.
    3. Stop giving preference/priority to ex-military members (they should go through the same vetting process as everyone else).

Training/Evaluation/Job Requirements - Non Compliance will result in termination of employment.
    1. Bi-annual psychological evaluations to test for PTSD, burnout, etc.
    2. Mandatory time off for LEO's involved in physical altercations/shootings/accidents.
    3. Mandatory psychological evaluations for LEO's involved in physical altercations/shootings/accidents.
    4. Mandatory 4-hrs per week training in hand-to-hand combat.
    5. Mandatory 2-hrs per week firearm training.
    6. Mandatory quarterly training sessions on de-escalation tactics.
    7. Mandatory bi-annual training on (relevant) regional combat tactics (ie, urban combat versus rural) - to include regional cultural training and effective policing techniques.
    8. Mandatory annual physical fitness evaluation (ie, strength assessment, chase-and-catch scenario, endurance test) - failure to meet minimum standards will result in administrative actions and, eventual employment termination.
    9. Mandatory bodycams on at all times. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary actions.

Disciplinary Actions - LEO's are in positions of power and need to be held to a higher standard.
    1. Zero-tolerance policy for DUI's, drug use, domestic violence, assault, etc.
    2. Complaints will be handled in accordance to local law/statutes and will be investigated/assessed by independent 3rd parties. Depending on severity of complaint, LEO will be placed on administrative leave or placed on in-office, unarmed, admin duties.
    3. LEO's involved in situation where suspect dies, or is killed, will be automatically placed on administrative leave and have a formal investigation conducted by an independent 3rd party that will make recommendation to the department's Chief and the District Attorney. Also, depending on the situation, even if the District Attorney opts to not pursue legal action against the LEO, the Chief may determine this person is unfit to wear a badge and terminate their employment or re-assign them to a non-combative role within the department.
    4. Multiple complaints issued against a LEO can trigger an option for the Chief to terminate that person's employment (eg, where there is smoke clause).

Department Leadership Accountability
    1. LEO's are no longer measured quantitatively for arrests.
    2. Department leadership is accountable to joint review boards headed up by city/municipality representatives and community representatives.
    3. Departments with complaints against 3 or more LEO offenders, will automatically trigger an investigation by an independent 3rd party.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: No Nonsense Simple Law Enforcement Reform Plan

100% Body Cams fix a lot of the problems we are facing in and of itself:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Increase pay and give each cop a partner should also be added.

Will need to increase the budget & have the Union agree. Most problems with the police begin with the recruits. Many people look at what's going on involving the police and think, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    1. More stringent hiring practices to include invasive background checks similar to processing applications for government-issued clearances. Finances, social media activity, third party interviews, multiple psychological evaluations, etc.
    2. Target candidates with specific community roots & create recruitment pipelines with local colleges and high schools.
    3. Stop giving preference/priority to ex-military members (they should go through the same vetting process as everyone else).

Training/Evaluation/Job Requirements - Non Compliance will result in termination of employment.
    2. Mandatory time off for LEO's involved in physical altercations/shootings/accidents.
    3. Mandatory psychological evaluations for LEO's involved in physical altercations/shootings/accidents.
    7. Mandatory bi-annual training on (relevant) regional combat tactics (ie, urban combat versus rural) - to include regional cultural training and effective policing techniques.
    8. Mandatory annual physical fitness evaluation (ie, strength assessment, chase-and-catch scenario, endurance test) - failure to meet minimum standards will result in administrative actions and, eventual employment termination.
    9. Mandatory bodycams on at all times. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary actions.

Disciplinary Actions - LEO's are in positions of power and need to be held to a higher standard.
    2. Complaints will be handled in accordance to local law/statutes and will be investigated/assessed by independent 3rd parties. Depending on severity of complaint, LEO will be placed on administrative leave or placed on in-office, unarmed, admin duties.
    3. LEO's involved in situation where suspect dies, or is killed, will be automatically placed on administrative leave and have a formal investigation conducted by an independent 3rd party that will make recommendation to the department's Chief and the District Attorney. Also, depending on the situation, even if the District Attorney opts to not pursue legal action against the LEO, the Chief may determine this person is unfit to wear a badge and terminate their employment or re-assign them to a non-combative role within the department.
    4. Multiple complaints issued against a LEO can trigger an option for the Chief to terminate that person's employment (eg, where there is smoke clause).

2. Department leadership is accountable to joint review boards headed up by city/municipality representatives and community representatives.
    3. Departments with complaints against 3 or more LEO offenders, will automatically trigger an investigation by an independent 3rd party.
    That zero tolerance policy could potentially thin the ranks quite a bit. Studies estimate police officers to abuse partners or children at a much higher than typical rate.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    100% Body Cams fix a lot of the problems we are facing in and of itself:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not just with cops, but with people they're interacting with as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    That zero tolerance policy could potentially thin the ranks quite a bit. Studies estimate police officers to abuse partners or children at a much higher than typical rate.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Maybe, but honestly, that doesn't matter much to me.

How can someone that is a drunk and abusive husband go and be a trusted public servant to protect people against those very things? It's hypocritical at best.

If I were in charge of a department, I would have pretty low tolerance for those things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Will need to increase the budget & have the Union agree. Most problems with the police begin with the recruits. Many people look at what's going on involving the police and think, nope.
    In my scenario, unions would (ideally) have a lot less power.

I'm pretty anti-public union as it is...unions have, for a long time, created an environment where bad cop get to stay bad cops. I don't like that and I think it's a problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    The tough part about pay increase is that this revenue is tied to taxable income. In places like Baltimore City, there is very little taxable revenue.

In principle, I definitely agree.

I also agree with partnering LEO's. No one should be on their own. That's not how you do it in the military and it shouldn't be the case in standard LE environments either.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I hope you just cut and pasted this. Because it doesn’t make much sense. Many of the items are already in place. Some are just crazy, and others will weaken the safety of the country

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I hope you just cut and pasted this. Because it doesn’t make much sense. Many of the items are already in place. Some are just crazy, and others will weaken the safety of the country
    I didn't cut/paste.

Some things that are in place already - good.

What things weaken security? What is crazy?