Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: How did Phillips play at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    D'Alessandris is a great OL coach
    Huge & underrated move, going from Juan Castillo to Joe D in the 2017 offseason. Has made a gigantic difference for us.

Harbs had a nice little run in Jan of '17. Hired Joe D & Greg Roman within a week of each other, Jan 12 & Jan 19.

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    I wanna see what the line can do with Bozeman at C and Powers at LG.
    Some Ravens fans' unwarranted love for Powers is baffling. He's been beaten out most of the roster and by guys who're now on the street but they still call on him to start. Why?

3. Re: How did Phillips play at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Some Ravens fans' unwarranted love for Powers is baffling. He's been beaten out most of the roster and by guys who're now on the street but they still call on him to start. Why?
    It's just confusing based on how well he's played in last years preseason and his only start last year against the Steelers. Graded out highly in his limited opportunities and is a 4th round pick. Just expected he would win it this year. The fact that he's getting beat out by an UDFA is telling, but I'm just not sure why. I don't think it's talent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    I'd think that Powers future isn't all that bright with the Ravens.

Phillips looks like the winner of the RG competition, and since he's a rookie, and he was competing with vets, one could assume that he could hold that RG position for quite some time. We can assume the Ravens like Skura at Center - he was there last year, and we can assume that they like Bozeman at LG. And then, backups.
    I don’t like Skura at all at Center. He doesn’t get any push in the run game and gets pushed back in pass protection. I thought the Ravens were looking for an upgrade based on the guys they drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don’t like Skura at all at Center. He doesn’t get any push in the run game and gets pushed back in pass protection. I thought the Ravens were looking for an upgrade based on the guys they drafted.

Bredeson is the guy that you hope is the C of the future. He profiles well for that position, not so much elsewhere.

6. Re: How did Phillips play at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I argued for Powers when there was a long thread about it in the early summer. Why? because it was mostly about figuring out what the Ravens should do based on what they did in the past. In the past they didn't like rookies to start. Powers is not a rookie. Additionally, players were given extra points for playing the positions they played in college. Powers was a LG. Additionally, Skura was assumed to not be ready. My predictions/calls/whatever were similar to others, Powers/Bozeman/Fluker. And they were all wrong. We, here, don't watch the players, the coaches are doing more than just guessing.

Well, here are the PFF numbers for the game.

PFF oline numbers
    bozeman 68.5
    brown 66.8
    stanley 64.9
    powers 60.0
    skura 51.6
    mekari 51.3
    fluker 48.0
    phillips 40.7

https://www.pff.com/nfl/teams/baltimore-ravens/3/roster

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Huge & underrated move, going from Juan Castillo to Joe D in the 2017 offseason. Has made a gigantic difference for us.

Harbs had a nice little run in Jan of '17. Hired Joe D & Greg Roman within a week of each other, Jan 12 & Jan 19.
    I don't think people appreciate how good of a coach he is. He's been an unsung hero since he's got here. Please Biscuit don't let him leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't think people appreciate how good of a coach he is. He's been an unsung hero since he's got here. Please Biscuit don't let him leave.
    I had a post about how he improved our penalty issues with the OL (remember the false starts and stalled drives before he got here?). i think he's great.

He's also older (66 years old) so he's probably content as an OL coach. He's been coaching in the NFL since 08, has a good track record and has never been promoted. He's likely a positional coach till the end and he has a place here.

He seems like a guy that works best on fundamentals and discipline and that gives Roman full reign without overlap to implement his run blocking scheme. It's a fantastic marriage.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

Which is even more telling that the Rookie started. Fluker was with D'Allesandris in SD. Interesting. I am hearing great things on Bredeson too. I'm shocked that Fluker is still on the team quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I had a post about how he improved our penalty issues with the OL (remember the false starts and stalled drives before he got here?). i think he's great.

He's also older (66 years old) so he's probably content as an OL coach. He's been coaching in the NFL since 08, has a good track record and has never been promoted. He's likely a positional coach till the end and he has a place here.

He seems like a guy that works best on fundamentals and discipline and that gives Roman full reign without overlap to implement his run blocking scheme. It's a fantastic marriage.
    Been coaching O-lines for over 40 years. Here's the timeline on him, from back when he got hired:

D3, D2, D1, World League of American Football, CFL (two separate stints). Dude's been everywhere but Euro league. Seen everything. I love that.

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    Which is even more telling that the Rookie started. Fluker was with D'Allesandris in SD. Interesting. I am hearing great things on Bredeson too. I'm shocked that Fluker is still on the team quite frankly.
    Fluker struggled to learn the playbook. It's a little more simple at OT for line calls.

They also just don't have a depth OT. Whether it's Fluker or the cat on PS that came from Arizona, we're screwed either way.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

12. Re: How did Phillips play at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post

I don't really know what they were doing based on the guys that they drafted. We know that that what they had to do is make sure they had a guy who was going to be able to play RG adequately well because Yanda was gone. For that, they got a rookie and a veteran. And they added another iOL to the Oline cupboard. And, they're figuring it out. About the Center position, the Ravens have 4 players who at least 1 person here thinks might be the best choice in the medium/long run. Skura, Mekari, Bozeman and Bredeson. And the players who might play Center are the same players who might play Left Guard. And include Ben Powers there at LG. There are a lot of players there. For week 1, they went with "same as last year", with Phillips in for Yanda. The PFF numbers across the board were not good. But the score 38-6 was extremely good. They'll figure it out. I noticed when we were talking about this maybe 2-3 months ago that it was impossibly complicated to figure it out because there were a lot of players and a lot of interior OL positions, and unless we invented rules ourselves, like "Ravens prefer not rookies", then there were just too many permutations, and, really, there isn't all that much to separate these guys. It's not like there were 3 young first round draft picks and the rest udfas, there are 6+ guys who could play multiple positions, and there are quite a few people here, including myself, who have the time to write a book. "Option 7b - Fluker starts at RG because Phillips seems to have slightly more quickness which might be useful at LT in case of injury to Stanley. Option 7c - Phillips starts at RG, but moves to LT if there's an injury to Stanley and Fluker goes in at RG." You get the idea. Lots of players.