Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: How did Phillips play at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    I think they did catch him on that blitz on 3rd down on opening drive of the 3rd quarter. They snuck that nickel off the right, blitzed inside of the DE and Phillips was looking inside and gave a free run. Of course that could have been on Orlando Brown too. It was a well timed blitz. That's about the only negative i really noticed
    I caught that play also. It's a bigger negative for me because it was also the play where Stanley was rolled up on. If Stanley's out, that's real trouble for the o-line.

Re: How did Phillips play at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I thought the o line was pretty rough. But Lamar and the skill position guys bailed them out. Jackson I felt often didn’t have any time. Weirdly, it mirrors the defense, where the DBs bailed out the pass rush. Honestly, I don’t think the final score reflects how much we lost at the line of scrimmage. I just think Mayfield’s play, penalties, and dumb mistakes by OBJ made our win seem way more dominant than it should have been.
    I do agree with this, they couldn't run the ball effectively or give Lamar great pockets to throw from, he had to get on his horse and improvise quite often. Which is strange because I know they lost a HOF'er in Yanda but at the end of the day they returned 4/5 starters and have two of the best OT's in football. The OL looked like a pretty far cry from the one that was bullying team's front 7's on a weekly basis in 2019.

I'm gonna chalk some of that up to them knocking the rust off, Skura's first game since a major injury, and it was Tyre's first NFL action. Some of it can also be chalked up to going up against Garrett who is arguably the best edge rusher in the NFL... he was the main one penetrating the backfield and causing issues.

Things will get no easier next week for them, JJ Watt is going to be going at Tyre/OBJ a ton, they better be on their A game.

Phillips is an interesting case. In the pass game he was overextending and getting his hands out over his feet, which cause him to lose.

BUT in the run game, the thing he did so well was keep his posture inline which gives him balance and power into a block. He overextended once that I noticed in the run game on a drive block.

His pulls were a force. He keeps his body in line, stays low and drives. Ingram hitched onto him on the 2nd play of the game and went for +5.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Harbs is praising him. First game at a position he did not play in college. He'll be fine

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Phillips is an interesting case. In the pass game he was overextending and getting his hands out over his feet, which cause him to lose.

BUT in the run game, the thing he did so well was keep his posture inline which gives him balance and power into a block. He overextended once that I noticed in the run game on a drive block.

His pulls were a force. He keeps his body in line, stays low and drives. Ingram hitched onto him on the 2nd play of the game and went for +5.
    Noticed that as well with the overextending causing him to lose leverage in pass pro. Honestly though, considering this was his first NFL action ever I was impressed, the moment didn't feel too big for him. I think most of us assumed that Phillips was more of a project pick and he would be in a reserve role this year. To win the job outright against a motivated and in-shape Fluker is a huge feather in his cap, especially considering he was a Tackle in college.

D'Alessandris is a great OL coach and he absolutely wouldn't co-sign Phillips starting if he didn't believe he's up to the job as a rookie. I'm excited to see him develop this season, Fluker was always going to be a stop-gap RG at best. It's such a pleasant surprise that we're adding yet another young (rookie contracted) starter to the offense so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    I do agree with this, they couldn't run the ball effectively or give Lamar great pockets to throw from, he had to get on his horse and improvise quite often. Which is strange because I know they lost a HOF'er in Yanda but at the end of the day they returned 4/5 starters and have two of the best OT's in football. The OL looked like a pretty far cry from the one that was bullying team's front 7's on a weekly basis in 2019.

I'm gonna chalk some of that up to them knocking the rust off, Skura's first game since a major injury, and it was Tyre's first NFL action. Some of it can also be chalked up to going up against Garrett who is arguably the best edge rusher in the NFL... he was the main one penetrating the backfield and causing issues.

Things will get no easier next week for them, JJ Watt is going to be going at Tyre/OBJ a ton, they better be on their A game.
    Yeah totally agree, Skura coming off an injury, Yanda gone, Phillips first career start and at a position he's never played no less. Interior O line lost quite a bit. Also no preseason, I'd argue that the league turning away from padded practices hurts guys in the trenches, particularly the O line, the most. Ultimately, they need full padded hard hitting live reps. Just how it might be for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a league wide issue.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Yeah totally agree, Skura coming off an injury, Yanda gone, Phillips first career start and at a position he's never played no less. Interior O line lost quite a bit. Also no preseason, I'd argue that the league turning away from padded practices hurts guys in the trenches, particularly the O line, the most. Ultimately, they need full padded hard hitting live reps. Just how it might be for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a league wide issue.
    Hey Buddy happy to see you guys won yesterday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Looks like the next in a long line of OTs-turned-OGs for the Ravens.
    Yup certainly could be. Another solid pick from the DeCosta. Personally I know the media/general rhetoric about Phillips was as a OT to OG conversion only but I don't think he should be ruled out as a potential OT. I thought so when he was drafted and still think that; as an athlete he's doesn't like significantly worse then Brown if any worse at all. I hope this doesn't happen, but if Stanley or Brown were to miss extended time I would think that Phillips would be in consideration for the RT spot.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    To win the job outright against a motivated and in-shape Fluker is a huge feather in his cap, especially considering he was a Tackle in college.

D'Alessandris is a great OL coach and he absolutely wouldn't co-sign Phillips starting if he didn't believe he's up to the job as a rookie.
    That's how I feel too. I'll be interested to see what GWNR and Filmstudy have to say about Phillips but just winning the job and starting on the Ravens O Line as a 3rd round rookie are great signs when you consider how many solid Ravens players hardly got a sniff of action as rookies.

Rookie in his first game with no preseason...I'll take it. He'll only get better as the season goes on and the line gels more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    That's how I feel too. I'll be interested to see what GWNR and Filmstudy have to say about Phillips but just winning the job and starting on the Ravens O Line as a 3rd round rookie are great signs when you consider how many solid Ravens players hardly got a sniff of action as rookies.
    Especially since Ben Powers still isn’t sniffing any playing time in his second season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

I'd be interested on any thoughts with Matt Skura back in action. Can't remember any specific plays with him, good or bad.