Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Re: How did Phillips play at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    That's the real goal of analytics. Finding market inefficiencies. Arm length is not much different than height, 40 time, bench reps, what have you - there is a correlation but it's not exact. Most small players (height/weight) don't make it at, say, LB if they're not fast enough (and that's the thing - speed for how much mass you have). But special players do buck the trend. The Ravens may have identified an inefficiency.
    Pretty bang on here.

You don't excel because of your arm length. But it sure doesn't hurt.

As for the Ravens approach. Greg Roman prefers gap, but runs a versatile scheme. They've been bringing in guys that are good fits in gap offenses, but have justtttt enough versatility to be able to run some zone concepts.

They're not going to run wide zone 5-7 times per game. But theyll run 4 powers, make you adjust and then do an outside zone run to keep you off kilter.

That's the beauty of Roman's playcalling and that's why they're bringing in these guys IMO.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Pretty bang on here.

You don't excel because of your arm length. But it sure doesn't hurt.
    Just read/watched your Phillips breakdown. It's good stuff.

As an O line guy when you say arm length 'doesn't hurt' do you mean that it's nice to have but not necessary or is it vital to play certain positions? Or is it somewhere in between?

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Just read/watched your Phillips breakdown. It's good stuff.

As an O line guy when you say arm length 'doesn't hurt' do you mean that it's nice to have but not necessary or is it vital to play certain positions? Or is it somewhere in between?
    It’s an advtange for sure but like anything you still need to know how to use it properly.

Some of these guys coming out are so used to using length that when they get to the NFL and other guys are bigger and stronger they need to relearn how to play the position.

Look no further than Orlando Brown Jr. he has completely modified his technique and uses his length properly but back in his rookie year he was firing his hands way too soon which is a sign of what I’m referring to.

Phillips could be having similar issues in cases I showed where he’s over extending. He’s trying to get his hands on the defender to lock in his reach advantage but timing is still vital.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    I'm not really sure that what they're doing...
    Dude. Two words: paragraph breaks.

Bump
    The eye test says he had a bad game. Curious to see how Filmstudy grades him this week.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

He got his ass kicked by a future HOF. For the record, so did Brown.

Personally, I'd sit him and play Fluker and let him continue to learn and work on his technique, but the team may feel that Fluker is too valuable as a swing tackle.

He's really raw...you can see the physical talent, but he's got a ways to go in order to be consistent. Lack of OTA's and preseason games really impacted him IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

A lot of issues Phillips has (Diagnosing the defense and foot speed in pass pro) are issues Fluker has too. I dont think it's wroth the move when you lose the guy that is your swing tackle.

It sucks, but it's just where we're at right now.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Personally, I'd sit him and play Fluker and let him continue to learn and work on his technique, the team may feel that Fluker is too valuable as a swing tackle.
    It might be the combination of the raw rookie next to a Skura some way below his best that's the issue. Whether it's Fluker for Tyre or Mekari for Skura, I think one more reliable player (but lower ceiling player) would help against Chris Jones next week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Dude. Two words: paragraph breaks.
    Two more words: fulminating logorrhea.

I may have to lob Johnny OneNotePerson into the Ignoratory just because I can't bear to see huge masses of bytes tortured at once. It's like watching Stalin deport entire populations to the gulag.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: How did Phillips play at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

I may have to lob Johnny OneNotePerson into the Ignoratory just because I can't bear to see huge masses of bytes tortured at once. It's like watching Stalin deport entire populations to the gulag.
    LOL, bravo loba! You never fail to delight with sophisticated verbiage that is informative and entertaining.

That's me in applause (well, maybe 40 years ago, and perhaps I didn't look as good then either, but you get the picture)... Bc

11. Re: How did Phillips play at RG?

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

Is it now?

And what IS that "one note"?

Is that "one note" what I put up the wall of text about?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Is it now?

And what IS that "one note"?

Is that "one note" what I put up the wall of text about?
    Here's that "one note" from Shirley Bassey :

https://youtu.be/QR3Dj7Co35U

BTW she sang "Goldfinger" too... Bc