Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ya think refs are bad usually? Wait till this year....

I thought the refs were pretty good last night (the tackling was brutal from the Texans). I just didnt like the two ticky tack fouls on HOU that seemed like bailouts for KC. The horse collar on Kelce which put them into easy FG range - which could have been offensive face mask on KC - the dude was getting a nasty stiff arm and just grabbed what he could and could be argued wasnt a HC & and the DPI when Mahomes chucked it into BAD triple coverage in the end zone.

Both were correct by the book, but you have to have a little common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 00000 View Post
    The horse collar on Kelce which put them into easy FG range
    i've watched a lot of football, and i don't think i've ever seen them call horsecollar when the defender's hand isn't inside the jersey/pads. maybe that's the way the rule is written (according to the rules guy last night, Blandino or one of those dudes), but i have no idea how a ref is supposed to tell in real-time whether the hand outside the jersey is a horsecollar or just a normal tackle. i hope it's the last time i see it called that way

The horsecollar & the pass interference were less than awesome. And they missed the blatant false start on a HOU TD. But....was not the S-Show I was expecting. They kept the flags in their pockets. When in doubt, they didn't throw the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by BillickFan View Post
    The horsecollar & the pass interference were less than awesome. And they missed the blatant false start on a HOU TD. But....was not the S-Show I was expecting. They kept the flags in their pockets. When in doubt, they didn't throw the flag.
    Looking back on it, if the missed false start, along with the horsecollar and pass interference, when Mahomes practically threw into triple coverage, changed the outcome of the game, fans might have a different opinion of the quality of the officiating; but, since the Chiefs mopped the floor with the Texans, any gaffes by the refs are an afterthought.

Still, if I made the rules, the horsecollar and pass interference wouldn't have been called, but I don't, and even if they seem like ticky-tac calls, they were by the book penalties. The only blatant miss I remember is the missed false start. Overall, they let the players play and didn't mess up the flow of the game. I will take that.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

In comparison to years past - it appears that the refs have not been given some specific penalty to enforce this year. They are just calling the games and not trying to 'make a statement'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    In comparison to years past - it appears that the refs have not been given some specific penalty to enforce this year. They are just calling the games and not trying to 'make a statement'.
    yeah imagine that - the one thing we are NOT talking about is officiating (for a change)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Other than 1 series that the refs dominated yesterday, the Ravens game was not the horror show from the zebras I was expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by BillickFan View Post
    Other than 1 series that the refs dominated yesterday, the Ravens game was not the horror show from the zebras I was expecting.
    And those were all good calls. Our DBs were holding every single time in that series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id give the Refs a high grade yesterday. Ron Torbert's crew is usually decent if memory serves me correctly l.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    Thank you for the heads up. Has the league ever stated why they will not make refs full time? I am well aware how hard that job could be, so the league needs to take ever measure possible to make the refs perform at their best.
    That NFL ref, one of the most demanding jobs in Sports, in the richest league in Sports, is still a part-time job is laugh-out-loud ridiculous. It shows you how much people are liable to resist change and hang on to the old ways.

Blog Entries

OP you couldn't be more wrong so far. Penalties down almost 80% and nobody is talking about officiating

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ed-2019-season

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

"Officials are good soldiers," said ESPN officiating analyst John Parry. "They hear the message and they perform based on what they've been instructed to call. At this level, they are that good. Whatever the marching orders are, that's how they will officiate."
    Remember this people. The NFL dictates a lot of what we see as bad calls.