Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: DeShon Elliott vs Earl Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    .....as far as comparing his raw stats to ET's raw stats, i'm thinking he basically does better statistically, mainly because ET's raw stats were fairly pedestrian last year. i don't think he'll match the sack and QB hit stats, but getting 50 tackles and more than 2 INTs is very doable. so i'd say better year statistically...
    Fair enough, i', guessing it's fair to say then that you expect DeShon to beat 50 tackles and 2 INTs but have fewer sacks and QB hits.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

My biggest concern with Elliott is the lack of experience. It's hard for a veteran QB to fool a guy like ET. But vet QBs will use young safeties' athleticism and play-making desire against them.

The good news is there are very few grizzled vet QBs on our schedule this year. Ben and his pump fakes are still a danger. Tannehill, Mahomes, and Watson aren't exactly 'grizzled' but they can all make you pay if you're not where you're supposed to be.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    ....If you take Earls stats from last year and told me those were realistic expectations for DeShon, I'd probably agree.

15 Games
    2 INT
    4 PD
    1 FF
    1 FR
    2.0 Sacks
    49 Tackles
    2 TFL
    6 QB hits
    Thank you! That is my expectation as well and I also expect at least a 70-75% approximation of Earl's play when looking at the coverage metrics too.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Is this a Socratic line of inquiry?....But in terms of being confident about any particular metrics or touchpoints: I got nada, zip.
    Nope, i'm just curious about the people expectations for DeShon's play and I was curious how people are gonna assess...and i don't know much more then when the thread started.

It wasn't like this thread:https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...nry&highlight= which attempted to explain the mindset behind drafting a RB
    Last edited by edromeo; 09-03-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I don’t know how anyone can say anything confidently about Elliott’s play in such a small sample size. I think if you’re position is he’s going to come in and totally replace Thomas you’re insane.
    I'm not asking people to make an assessment of DeShon's play based on his sample size. I'm asking about expectations. My expectations aren't based on 'DeShon' mine are based on expectations for the position/role he's going to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    The biggest thing I’m going to be judging his play on is whether or not he’s making plays. Stats are very misleading for a FS in my opinion, maybe more than any other defensive position. I feel like they usually get less opportunities. They’re thrown at less, tackles are often made before a player gets to the secondary, etc. so the biggest thing I’m looking for is when he gets that opportunity what does it look like. Does he make that TD saving tackle? Does he predict that play and make that INT? I want to see impactful plays more than stats from him.
    Fair enough.

Looked good today. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_Flock View Post
    Looked good today. Thoughts?

He was at least "bringing the lumber" in run support, and not making "business decisions" in pursuit/tackling like Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens82 View Post
    He was at least "bringing the lumber" in run support, and not making "business decisions" in pursuit/tackling like Thomas.
    Agreed! He looked like a missile today.

Blog Entries

Didn't know where else to store these, but didn't want to lose them:
    Week 1 Chuck Clark missed tackles:

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Didn't know where else to store these, but didn't want to lose them:
    Week 1 Chuck Clark missed tackles:

But I'm lying in regards to the bad play at safety apparently. These guys gotta step up on Monday or it's gonna be a shootout

two weeks of play is clearly too small of a sample size to make confident projections, but through 2 games Elliott has
    9 tackles (6 solo)
    1 tackle for loss
    1 sack
    2 QB hits
    no INTs, FF, FR, PD
    no penalties

so as far as comparing his raw stats to ET's in 2019, he's on pace to beat the tackle mark by a healthy margin (72 to 49). he's halfway there for sacks (1 of 2) and TFLs (1 of 2) and a third of the way there for QB hits (2 of 6). with 14 games left i'd say just about any safety in the league could pick up 2 INTs and a FF or FR, so those are very achievable numbers. heck, if they're blitzing him he could match ET's 2019 sack/FF/FR totals on one play with a strip/sack/fumble recovery. so i'll go out on a limb here and say he's gonna match or break every one of these if he plays a full season.

ET like Carr made more business decisions than hard tackles last year. A vet does that. Elliot will be much more inclined to lay the lumber of a tackle. The question is will he be as good as ET would have been in a year or two? I think he will. The fact that nobody has picked up ET tells me teams consider his level of play not high enough to put up with the baggage and declining play.