Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: DeShon Elliott vs Earl Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I'm hoping for 19.

People keep bringing up stats for ET but there is a big reason that he didn’t have many. Teams simply avoided him.

Exactly like Fitzpatrick in Pittsburgh. He blew up because teams made the mistake of going after him and then when teams avoided him at all costs, his stats declined.

Like I said earlier, having people in your secondary that impose fear and avoidance is one of the most crucial things you could possibly have on a football field.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    Like I said earlier, having people in your secondary that impose fear and avoidance is one of the most crucial things you could possibly have on a football field.
    The Deion Sanders effect. He could've had 80 INTs if people threw to him at an average rate.

People keep bringing up stats for ET but there is a big reason that he didn’t have many. Teams simply avoided him.
    on top of that we had great cornerback play last season which also cuts down on a free safety's tackles, passes defensed, etc.

if you look at the stats for the Pat's safeties last season they don't exactly impress either, except for McCourty's 5 INTs. Chung and McCourty combined for 109 tackles, 1 TFL, no sacks or QB hits, 5 INTs, and 10 passes defensed. but they were on a fantastic defense and nobody would say either had a bad season. for safety stats, when they're there it means the dude is good, but when they're not there it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    for safety stats, when they're there it means the dude is good, but when they're not there it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad.
    Sometimes when a safety's stats are there, it means the team defense is bad. A safety leading the team in tackles, for example.

Maybe one of Calipari's Kentucky squads?
    since the college basketball reference website (whatever it's called) is already paywalled, i manually checked a few of the 70's UCLA teams and the Fab Five team. Jalen Rose and Juwan Howard went together in the first round in 94, one or two of those 70s Bruins teams had two. i'm sure someone's had three by now but it's kinda hard to imagine a team getting to the point where four or five went.

if someone does subscribe to those reference sites and can look it up i'd be most appreciative. if i had to bet i'd say that three have gone from one school once or twice. be a neat stat to know though

Maybe one of Calipari's Kentucky squads?

SUCKS!!!!
    2012 Kentucky had 3 one and done plus a sophomore in the first round, led by the people’s unibrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    if i had to bet i'd say that three have gone from one school once or twice. be a neat stat to know though
    Check out the 2010 draft for Kentucky.

One notch less, look at 2012 & 2015 for them too.

Blog Entries

In defense of the 'people'...I wish they would bring up stats....any stats at all. But none have posted any stats. In the OP i listed some basic stats and one of the questions asked in the OP are what stats do you look at when judging S play?

I agree w/ you though being avoided is useful. I wanted to have a discussion about which stats are meaningful and what they could tell us about S play and use the discussion to define people's expectations for DeShon.

I think DeShon should be held up to a standard near Earl's level of play last year in all facets.

And there are stats that quantify how often and how successful Safeties are when they are targeted.
    This article on Earl has a lot of good advanced stats:
    https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/202...s-derwin-james

The coverage grades and advanced stats would be something to look at also. (comp% allowed, pssr rating allowed, coverage snaps at FS, passes defensed...etc)

Agreed.
    Last edited by edromeo; 09-03-2020 at 01:19 AM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Sometimes when a safety's stats are there, it means the team defense is bad. A safety leading the team in tackles, for example.
    Stevon Moore on those early Ravens teams. He didn't lead the team in tackles, but he was second in tackles in '95 (Browns) and '96 (Ravens).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11. Re: DeShon Elliott vs Earl Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    That's a good point. Just like when Brady's wristband said 'find #20 on every play' if they know that player is a bona fide threat to take that ball the wrong way they'll stay the hell away from him, coverage be damned. I expect Baker to try to pick on him week 1. Hopefully he makes him pay.
    I have seen these comments more than once, but don't you guys think that if corners such as Peters and Hump are more confident that the FS will be where he is supposed to be that they may take more gambles thus making more plays. Think about the impact that Peters can have. If that occurs, that fear will stay intact.

Blog Entries

I'm hoping for 19.

As are we all... Bc