Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: DeShon Elliott vs Earl Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    happens all the time in college basketball. a team that might send two or three of its players to NBA Europe beats a team of one-and-done first-rounders by playing sound fundamental basketball as a team.
    Not if all five of the other team's players are one-&-done 1st rounders.

I expect some growing pains at first but by seasons end he will be ok or solid. Safe expectations of course if he’s healthy

He's no longer an underrated day three pick with a bright future (that mantle is passed to Geno Stone) - the pressure's on him and he has to figure out a way to stay on the field.

If he does, I've got very little worry about him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    If Elliott stays healthy and plays even adequately, we'll be fine.

I expect more, but that's all we need.
    This is where I'm at as well. Can he stay healthy? that would be a big step

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Not as concern about injury history. I think that first year was more of a IR stash for the season. See how he does this year. Excited about him moresothan Clark because he has been a playmaker back in college.

We need more of those in the secondary.

Blog Entries

Lol, 😊 One day.....one fine day....people will respond to the OP and maybe quote or at least answer the questions or topics in the OP before branching off into discussions that could be had in any of the other “Earl-FS” threads.

🤞

I don’t know how anyone can say anything confidently about Elliott’s play in such a small sample size. I think if you’re position is he’s going to come in and totally replace Thomas you’re insane.

The biggest thing I’m going to be judging his play on is whether or not he’s making plays. Stats are very misleading for a FS in my opinion, maybe more than any other defensive position. I feel like they usually get less opportunities. They’re thrown at less, tackles are often made before a player gets to the secondary, etc. so the biggest thing I’m looking for is when he gets that opportunity what does it look like. Does he make that TD saving tackle? Does he predict that play and make that INT? I want to see impactful plays more than stats from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravskins View Post
    Not as concern about injury history. I think that first year was more of a IR stash for the season. ...
    Agreed with this. Broken arms happen. Knees get twisted. I don't see anything to indicate he's particularly frail. More likely just unlucky to this point. Sizzle tore his achilles -- TWICE. Anybody think of him as injury-prone?

Now, if the injuries were concussion, neck, lower back, or groin/hamstring pulls, I might be more concerned about a chronic problem.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    DeShon is definitely a more aggressive player than what we saw of Earl last season. I could see him blitzing a lot and having success, more so than Earl did last year.
    Thank for your response.

So for you stats like: sacks, tackles for loss, QB hits and pressure stats would major factors in your evaluation of DeShon's performance?

I’d be much higher on DeShon if it wasn’t for the injury history. I think he’ll have a similar season to Earl in terms of production, but no probowl nod. He’s gonna get tested early and often.
    This is pretty much where I am at too. I think the Wink and Harbaughs and the defense at large have high level of expectation for DeShon or else they wouldn't hand him the job considering the team is making a SB run.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    Not really. I don't expect him to exceed Earl's level of play. Doesn't have to. If he can a. stay healthy and b. not be a liability that is all we need given the talent we have in the secondary. I think he has the ability to do that and more.
    I agree! Nobody expects Elliot to even come close to a young Earl, but as Uni posted "he doesn't have to." If he can play uninjured, at an average (or slightly above) Safety level, it would be satisfactory given the strength of our secondary... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    In zone coverage I don’t think he will be as good as earl. But wink does a lot of blitzes, even cover 0. I’m assuming he will be playing some man as well in winks scheme.

I think he will be far better then Thomas at blitzing. Thomas was always a step to slow to get to the qb.
    Earl blitzed a lot last year (54 pass rush snaps, good for 5th most by DB)-
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...es/ar-BB18hL12

A comp between Earl and Chuck pass rush:
    Earl - 62 rush snaps per PFF - 67.4 pass rush grade
    Chuck - 111 rush snaps per PFF - 57.9 pass rush grade

Rush related counting stats: (i couldn't find "qb pressure" stats)
    Earl - 1 FF, 1 FR, 2 sacks, 49 tackles - 32 solo, 2 TFL, 6 QB hits
    Chuck - 2 FF, 1 sack, 73 tackles - 45 solo, 2 TFL, 2 QB hits

I agree w/ you about the coverage though, its gonna be interesting to see how offenses and passing game respond to DeShon. I certainly think he'll be tested more often.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

actually what i was saying is that THE TEAM blitzes a lot....
    ...Okay.

But going back to your previous post:
    i think they blitz a lot and need a free safety to be in position on those blitzes. i don't really think this scheme in particular can be easily evaluated by individual stats, at least on the backend. and as has been noted on here elsewhere (and basically beaten to death at this point), it's tough to do individual defensive stats anyway when it isn't always clear what a player's assignment is. so my measuring stick for Deshon Elliott, based on how much talent surrounds him on this D, is whether or not we give up long touchdowns on blitzes, and basically the eye test on how good of a tackler he is and the angles he takes, and if his feel for where to go seems to get better as the season progresses. i don't think they need that much out of the FS position to be honest, which is why they could cut ET in the first place, they just need someone to be in the right assignment, make the right read, that sort of thing.
    You aren't going to use any stats to evaluate DeShon just the ole eye ball test?

Is it fair to say that your expectation is that DeShon will be less productive statistically but more productive in other areas?