Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Is College worth the time and money?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    [/B]

As I understand it employee backed healthcare was the result of employers competing for employees post WW2. Since wages were controlled healthcare (a benefit) was offered to induce workers to come/stay with an employer.

The problem comes in with those who did not get coverage from employers. Or those that were born with or had pre existing conditions. When no one wants or is willing to offer insurance to an immense group of people who but government could step in? Or do you simply advocate a policy of if one cant get/afford or whatever insurance social darwinism takes over and they are left to suffer or die?
    Third party payer healthcare contributed to the costs going up but the explosion of costs in both education and healthcare goes hand-in-hand with federal spending in both, starting in the 60s.

I am assuming that we are talking about public colleges here. While I agree that making them free will not drive costs down states have mechanisms in place to control costs. They would have to be forced to exercise those mechanisms. Maybe a starting figure then a cap tied to inflation or COL. Wise investment in education is an investment in the future (see my earlier post #21).
    Can you think of one thing government does for me that I can't do cheaper for myself?

The government does nothing efficiently. NOTHING.

I dont believe that at this moment in time there is enough charity and volunteers to address the genuine needs in our comunites.
    Because the government had subverted it. It's why so many poor families are fatherless as well. For the good of the children and all.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    That's because government takes more than half of what we make, and no one is inclined to volunteer to perform a service that government is already robbing us to provide.

And that doesn't answer the more fundamental question...

Is it wrongful to steal from our neighbors, regardless of how well-intentioned the act?

I'm going to ask you to imagine something... Something very simple...

Imagine what the economy of our country would be like, if the government suddenly stopped confiscating half of what everybody makes in taxes, fees, and hidden taxes.. and squandering it on poorly run programs.

Imagine what you would do if your buying power doubled... imagine the economic activity... the demand... imagine the jobs that this would produce... imagine the demand for labor... the jobs...

Government is not the solution... government is the problem
    As they used to say, RACK HIM!

Both the preamble to the constitution as well as article 1 section 8 allows federal government to get involved.. The general welfare clause allows for education and healthcare to be considered federal purview. Both parties have also made liberal use of the commerce clause as well and could be applied to healthcare as well i would think.
    The authors, and more importantly ratifiers, of the Constitution did not see it this way.

First, the preamble states WHY the Constitution exists, not what it authorizes. And Article 1, Section 8 says "general welfare of the United States." It does not say general welfare of some people. The general welfare of the US is better off without the federal government getting involved, hence the 10th amendment and the limitation of power that is not SPECIFICALLY authorized.

Im torn about the electoral college. As important as the majority is I tend to lean 75-25 in favor of it because of politicians being what they are. Without it a huge swath of the country would lose representation.
    The electoral college exists because this is a republic, not a democracy, and anybody who understands the difference gets why it and the allocation in Congress (House and Senate) is brilliant.

To sum up, it limits the tyranny of the majority in order to give some power to the minority. That's right, it is a protection for minorities. And the Democrats want it gone.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    Why does a tax hike have to hit middle and low income earners? The last round of tax cuts was just for the ultra wealthy individuals & corporations, why not reverse that one? There you go, a lot of money to spend on college.

I would prefer if it happened to be available to everyone and to every college. People need to have choice in the college they want their kids to go to.
    LOL. No, the lower and middle classes participated in the last tax cuts. Mine went down.

But if you took ALL of the money the top 1% make it wouldn't make a dent in the deficit much less all of the new spending the left wants. The top 1% already pays 50% of income taxes, the top 10% like 90% of income taxes. But go ahead and confiscate all of the wealth of businesses and the rich. It's like killing the goose that lays golden eggs because you want a nice dinner tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    The only jobs left in the US will either be serving food OR require a college degree.
    Wrong. Plumbers. carpenters, HVAC, mechanics, electricians, they all make very good money and without mounds of student debt to start with. They make more money than most humanities degrees.

Here again, this is where I believe the federal government plays a part. Standards and oversight. No kid should be able to graduate high school without the ability to read/comprehend within 1 year of grade level. No young person should get a reduced tuition for college/ or a trade school unless they can demonstrate a functional ability to perform in their declared specialty. If they cannot the cost of their college coverts to a student loan. We have for profit schools now like ITT Tech and Pheonix that have been slammed for just pushing students thru. If it happens on an individual level the student pays the bill if ts an institutional issue the institution loses accreditation or is liquidated to pay back the government subsidy.
    WE DO NOT NEED THE GOVERNMENT FOR THIS!

If kids graduate Shitcan State and can't perform then their degrees will be seen as useless and kids won't go there. There are many "schools" that are known diploma mills.