Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: A decrease in draft value?

The NFL should look into having less rounds next year. Maybe 5 and squeeze the comp picks in the last 3 rds.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    If they don't have a season at all, I don't see how they can count that as a year of eligibility used up. I understand why they wouldn't give a year back to athletes that were midway through their seasons when they were called off, though I don't agree with it, but to count a year against people when the team wasn't even playing any games at all is absurd. I wouldn't put it passed the NCAA, but I still tend to think they won't count 2020 as a season if there aren't any games.

Assuming they do the right thing, that would most likely make the 2021 draft loaded.
    Are you talking about the 2022 draft? I wouldn't mind seeing the Ravens trade their 2nd next year for a 1st in the 2022 draft. Last time we did this we ended up with Jamal Lewis.

3. Re: A decrease in draft value?

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I don’t think the draft/draft picks will lose value.

If anything it will increase the value of a strong scouting department.

The focus will likely be on proven draft prospects sophomore and juniors with production.
    I think Jaylen Smith is a perfect example of how this could go wrong. He dominated his junior year and even had Rd. 2 buzz before deciding to come back for his senior season. Then had a horrible senior year, went UDFA to the Ravens, and is out of the league without playing a snap. Sometimes there's just never enough tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Willbacker View Post
    Are you talking about the 2022 draft? I wouldn't mind seeing the Ravens trade their 2nd next year for a 1st in the 2022 draft. Last time we did this we ended up with Jamal Lewis.
    Yes, my mistake.

I would be on board with that type of strategy. That is going to be an especially good draft to have a lot of picks in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    I think Jaylen Smith is a perfect example of how this could go wrong. He dominated his junior year and even had Rd. 2 buzz before deciding to come back for his senior season. Then had a horrible senior year, went UDFA to the Ravens, and is out of the league without playing a snap. Sometimes there's just never enough tape.
    Jaylen Smith from Louisville? I followed both Louisville and the draft closely and he never had 2nd round buzz that I recall, maybe 3rd at best and that was predicated on him having a strong Sr. season. If he had 2nd round buzz he would have came out as a Jr.

Also, Smith only good measure was straight line speed. I only advocated for him as an UDFA because he was player Lamar was comfortable with.

And even IF your view of Jaylen Smith were true he would be an exception not the rule.
    You wouldn’t devalue an entire draft class because of the risk of Jaylen Smith. You know how often actual first round picks bust out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    If those guys play in the spring instead, could be a wild supplemental draft.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    If college football is played in spring wouldn't it make more sense to move the main draft back to June or something?

If the NFL held a draft in the middle of the college season, the selected players would immediately quit and mess up college football.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    If college football is played in spring wouldn't it make more sense to move the main draft back to June or something?

If the NFL held a draft in the middle of the college season, the selected players would immediately quit and mess up college football.
    It does but I dont see how the college guys would be ready to play in the fall whether it be in the NFL or the next season of college if there is a spring season.

Jamal Lewis was the 5th overall pick, Ravens' 2nd next year will most likely be a very, very late 2nd round pick, I doubt you're getting even a late 1st in 2022 for that, even less so considering the 2021 Draft is shaping up to be the Mother Of All Crapshoots. Having said that, the Ravens are still one of the teams better prepared to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He was a senior last year and had no more eligibility.
    I would think if they don’t play they still have that year of eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Jamal Lewis was the 5th overall pick, Ravens' 2nd next year will most likely be a very, very late 2nd round pick, I doubt you're getting even a late 1st in 2022 for that, even less so considering the 2021 Draft is shaping up to be the Mother Of All Crapshoots. Having said that, the Ravens are still one of the teams better prepared to deal with it.
    Maybe so but I remember being bummed when we traded that pick since to me the draft was still relatively new but it turned out to be a steal. We just blew it with our other 1st with Travis Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post

Yeah, but the NFL might not care

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

It does but I dont see how the college guys would be ready to play in the fall whether it be in the NFL or the next season of college if there is a spring season.
    I don't think NFL athletes actually need 7 or 8 months of rest between seasons. In most sports the gap is much shorter. I understand that football is violent but rugby players only have about 3 months off. Even fighters don't typically have that long between fights, unless they're the very top guys.

I think the big gap between seasons is more due to tradition and college timetables that are based on farming schedules. I don't think people in their early 20s would really need so long to recharge, unless they were seriously injured.