Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: USPS: Good Business, Attack on Besos, or an Exercise in Voter Suppression?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I have no idea what this means beyond a massive punt that was shanked for little distance. Your non-answer is noted.
    It was a dungeons and dragons reference.

If you prefer an answer, I think it is not that widespread an issue, so while in an ideal world it wouldn't happen, we shouldn't base our entire approach on it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post

If you prefer an answer, I think it is not that widespread an issue, so while in an ideal world it wouldn't happen, we shouldn't base our entire approach on it.

How about this? Why should the needs of those who may be intimidated outweigh the needs of say, those that can't get off work to vote? Or can't find childcare to do it? I suspect the latter groups are larger.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Hillary thought it was a big deal. Caregivers to the elderly and abusive spouses (mostly men) are in excellent positions to intimidate weak people.

Votes need to be in a public place where the voter can do it by themselves after checking in and identifying themselves.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

How about this? Why should the needs of those who may be intimidated outweigh the needs of say, those that can't get off work to vote? Or can't find childcare to do it? I suspect the latter groups are larger.

It is illegal to not let an employee off to vote. EVERY EMPLOYER must allow EVERY EMPLOYEE time to vote on election day.

You can take your children to vote, it is an excellent learning experience.

It is illegal to not let an employee off to vote. EVERY EMPLOYER must allow EVERY EMPLOYEE time to vote on election day.

I have definitely done that before, and I promise you the children under 5 don't learn much from it. Lol

Hillary thought it was a big deal. Caregivers to the elderly and abusive spouses (mostly men) are in excellent positions to intimidate weak people.

Votes need to be in a public place where the voter can do it by themselves after checking in and identifying themselves.
    Hillary also thought she'd be a good president. Do you believe her on that too?

7. Re: USPS: Good Business, Attack on Besos, or an Exercise in Voter Suppression?

It is not pertinent to this 2020 cycle, but thanks. And it isn't germane to this discussion.

I beg to differ. Voter suppression is part of this discussion.

When the rules would be the same for everybody it isn't voter suppression. That is, unless showing up in person is too difficult. And if it is, as I noted, that voter isn't probably that interested and isn't paying much attention, REGARDLESS OF SIDE.
    Well its much easier to vote in person when precincts are allocated based on population. Fulton county GA, the most heavily democratic in a red state had one voting spot for the entire county. Not so with more affluent, non minority counties. There were no maintenance techs on call for Fulton county...not so for other counties. This resulted in wait times to vote in Fulton county hours longer than in other counties. It was a primary for national elections but there were state wide ballot initiatives being voted on as well. I believe it was St Louis, MO (heavy dem) where they had to get an emergency court order to allow for extending voting because there were so few machines available and people wound up waiting hours and hours to vote. The last vote wasn't cast until 1237AM the following day. Yes, voter suppression takes many forms. Why here in my little Florida city there was an outcry because the sheriffs dept stationed deputies at the heavily minority (both black and latino)voting precincts but not at the white precincts. There was no threat at those precincts, no trouble...just a bit of intimidation during the 2016 election.

8. Re: USPS: Good Business, Attack on Besos, or an Exercise in Voter Suppression?

Yes but nothing says an employer must pay the employee for the time off. With waiting times in the hours at many polling places that can have a substantial impact on lower wage voters. Almost like a poll tax if you think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    Well its much easier to vote in person when precincts are allocated based on population. Fulton county GA, the most heavily democratic in a red state had one voting spot for the entire county. Not so with more affluent, non minority counties. There were no maintenance techs on call for Fulton county...not so for other counties. This resulted in wait times to vote in Fulton county hours longer than in other counties. It was a primary for national elections but there were state wide ballot initiatives being voted on as well. I believe it was St Louis, MO (heavy dem) where they had to get an emergency court order to allow for extending voting because there were so few machines available and people wound up waiting hours and hours to vote. The last vote wasn't cast until 1237AM the following day. Yes, voter suppression takes many forms. Why here in my little Florida city there was an outcry because the sheriffs dept stationed deputies at the heavily minority (both black and latino)voting precincts but not at the white precincts. There was no threat at those precincts, no trouble...just a bit of intimidation during the 2016 election.
    You know counties run the polling sites. It’s a shame the dems running Fulton county are trying to disenfranchise the people in their community

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    Sounds like you're blaming the state instead of the district who sets things up. You also have early voting and can request absentee ballot. Why the lack of information there?

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    You know counties run the polling sites. It’s a shame the dems running Fulton county are trying to disenfranchise the people in their community

The majority of Fulton County is in Atlanta. They have expanded it over the years into the suburbs to increase the tax base. Its still controlled politically by the Atlanta residents. If there was only one polling place open, they did it.

12. Re: USPS: Good Business, Attack on Besos, or an Exercise in Voter Suppression?

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    The majority of Fulton County is in Atlanta. They have expanded it over the years into the suburbs to increase the tax base. Its still controlled politically by the Atlanta residents. If there was only one polling place open, they did it.
    Hardly. The shortage of poll workers was to blame. No older people wanted to work in Fulton county due to the high positivity rate. The fact that the state didnt help by providing a tech to fix machines that went down didnt help. The state rolled out a new system and didnt have the staff to support it.