Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: The One Move I Disagree With by Decosta

I always like Byrnes but even if we brought him back he was a very short term fix. We spent two draft picks to replace him and Peanut, both drafted players have higher ceilings. You must get younger in the middle.

Others are right that free agency next year may be brutal for players. Smaller cap space, teams fighting to get under the cap. Lots of players hitting an open market with no teams in shape to buy. I saw one team was estimated to be 90 million over the cap. KC was 30+ million over the cap. 14 teams have negative cap space right now next year and that does not even include space for draft picks and practice squads. with those it is 21 teams. We are talking about a flooded market with no buyers on two third of the teams. Players will need to take what they can get and hope the new TV contract in two years brings the cap back to 210-220 million range. If it only goes up to 180 then 190 then 200 million in the next three years most of these players will be retired before the cap recovers and players get paid big numbers.

Clowney is between a rock and a hard place to me. His ability to stay healthy is a real issue. His lack of big, flashy numbers, last year hurts his cause. He does not play a disciplined game. On the right team he could shine, if he stays healthy, but so could ten other guys. He has always taken off plays and I do not see that changing. If you had a Ray Lewis to ride heard on him, he could be great, but Ray was one in a million in inspiring others and doing it himself. No team is going to give him 20 million a year and none may be able to do that going forwards for several year, even if they thought he was worth it. Which it looks like none do at this time. I think a team could get hm for a decent number if you back load the contract. Problem is with his lack of availability that is a big risk. I bitched for year that Carr was not making a lot of plays but he was always available. So if Clowney makes ten great plays but takes off 20% of the plays and misses a couple games a year is he worth it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Good point. Our total tackle depth is Tyre Phillips and Mekari, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Did Fluker have experience at tackle? I'm a bit more encouraged about signing him after I read his comments about finally realizing what it's gonna take to be on top of his game, then showing up looking in tremendous shape.

There might be adequate backup talent available after teams cut to 53. I'm also happier with the Tyre Phillips pick as he might learn enough to be a serviceable back-up tackle
    DJ Fluker has the most "recent" OT experience at the NFL level.
    With that being said it was a long time ago in terms on the NFL; Fluker's rookie and sophomore season's were at RT:

2013-OVR-69.3-PASS BLOCKING-66.2-RUN BLOCKING-70.7

2014-OVR-72.1-PASS BLOCKING-69.7-RUN BLOCKING-74.7

Another positive is that he was paired w/ current Raven's OL coach Joe D.

2nd up at OT *almost by default* i guess would be Tyre Phillips because he was a college LT. Everyone seems to assume that he will be a guard for the Ravens but lets not forget that he graded out well at LT in the SEC.....and that's not nothing.

There's a decent chance that Fluker is going to be starting OG though and that would make Phillips 1st up at OT....a rookie....that's kinda scary...especially since most consider him a OG transition prospect.

If Fluker is 'tied' w/ another player at OG would Fluker then 'lose' the OG competition to 'win' the swing OT spot?

Anyhow those are my tired Saturday morning ramblings...on our lack of OT depth
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

2nd up at OT *almost by default* i guess would be Tyre Phillips because he was a college LT. Everyone seems to assume that he will be a guard for the Ravens but lets not forget that he graded out well at LT in the SEC.....and that's not nothing.
    I forget which, but one of Harbaugh or DeCosta said that they saw Tyre as a guard in their post draft presser. However it looks like one of Tyre, Fluker or Mekari is going to have to focus on practicing at tackle for this year.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: The One Move I Disagree With by Decosta

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Naw man, Dobbins is going to be a tremendous asset. A real weapon.
    I also thought drafting a RB in the 2nd round was a head scratcher (?) However, I believe there's a method to DeCosta's madness. I think this may be Ingram's last as a Raven, so he looked upon Dobbins (43 TDs in 3 years @ Ohio State) as his successor in 2021. I agree with you Jim... Bc

Blog Entries

Nothing head scratching about drafting the highest rated player on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Dobbins (43 TDs in 3 years @ Ohio State)
    2,000 yards rushing as a senior!
    4450 yds across his 3-yr career!
    500 more career rush yards than Ezekiel Elliot!
    700 more career yards from scrimmage than Zeke!
    In fact, more career yards than any Ohio St player other than Archie Griffin; and Griffin played 4 years.
    More career catches and receiving yards than Clyde Edwards-Helaire!
    A higher yards-per-catch average than CEH!

I'm telling you man: this guy is a weapon. Literally any other draft, Dobbins goes in the top half of the first rd. Teams would be eager to snatch him. This year, decision-makers got their heads twisted by the "RBs don't matter" stream of analytics theorizing. We reaped the benefits.

Indy too. Jonathan Taylor is going to rush for a mile behind Quenton Nelson &co. I think Dobbins will be the better every-down back because of his versatility – more useful in the passing game – but Taylor will be an absolute load. He could put up some Adrian Peterson -type seasons before he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Nothing head scratching about drafting the highest rated player on the board.
    It's not head scratching and I'm excited to see Dobbins play but if neither the rookies or Boykin develop ( a big if)
    then we'll be short in the passing game. We wouldn't be short in the running game even without Dobbins. That's why I wanted us to draft a better (in theory) receiver at 55.

...I'm excited to see Dobbins play but if neither the rookies or Boykin develop ( a big if)
    then we'll be short in the passing game.
    Uh, yeah? If no one develops then we'll be short in the passing game. True.

That's why I wanted us to draft a better (in theory) receiver at 55.
    Mims woulda been nice. Very nice.

I think Dobbins is likely a bigger weapon than Mims. Potentially a lead-the-league-in-scrimmage-yards kind of player. But yeah: Mims woulda been nice.

I liked Duvernay as a fit for us pre-draft, though.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I would estimate that it has something to do with analytics showing that LB’er is one of the least impactful positions on the field, that plays increasingly fewer snaps every year: I think they knew it was a weakness, but they simply didn’t think it was important. And then they found out they undervalued it and fixed it cheaply mid-season, reminding them why they had undervalued it. Because street FA’s played well enough to solve the issue.
    They really fixed that this draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being as it was fixed cheaply with street FAs mid-season justifies their "under" valuation.

That said, I think the real issue was they thought there was more to Peanut, Board, and Young and found out that no, they were not good. Maybe they could do something well, like Peanut rushing the passer, but it was good not great and his liabilities elsewhere were too damaging for what he did well.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    2,000 yards rushing as a senior!
    4450 yds across his 3-yr career!
    500 more career rush yards than Ezekiel Elliot!
    700 more career yards from scrimmage than Zeke!
    In fact, more career yards than any Ohio St player other than Archie Griffin; and Griffin played 4 years.
    More career catches and receiving yards than Clyde Edwards-Helaire!
    A higher yards-per-catch average than CEH!

I'm telling you man: this guy is a weapon. Literally any other draft, Dobbins goes in the top half of the first rd. Teams would be eager to snatch him. This year, decision-makers got their heads twisted by the "RBs don't matter" stream of analytics theorizing. We reaped the benefits.

Indy too. Jonathan Taylor is going to rush for a mile behind Quenton Nelson &co. I think Dobbins will be the better every-down back because of his versatility – more useful in the passing game – but Taylor will be an absolute load. He could put up some Adrian Peterson -type seasons before he's done.
    I kind of have to be high on JK Dobbins cause I drafted him in the mock.

Disagree about top half of rd 1 though. Studs at RB have fallen to rd 2 often recently. Since 2016 we've had Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, Nick Chubb, Miles Sanders, and now Taylor/Dobbins, not to mention D'Andre Swift, Cam Akers and AJ Dillon. I suspect it'll only continue.

Blog Entries

It's not head scratching and I'm excited to see Dobbins play but if neither the rookies or Boykin develop ( a big if)
    then we'll be short in the passing game. We wouldn't be short in the running game even without Dobbins. That's why I wanted us to draft a better (in theory) receiver at 55.
    No one knows what's going to happen. That is part of the idea behind Best Player Available. And since no one knows what contingencies to plan for....injury, drop in performance, suspension, covid etc....therefore you take the best player available.

RE: '...rookies or Boykin don't develop.......then we'll be short in the passing game.'

It depends on what you mean by 'short' in the passing game.

Most people would describe this past season as being short in the passing game if you look at the talent and the production from the WRs.

Yet the offense was literally one of if not thee best offense in the league.

I think the passing game will be at a minimum on equal footing with last year's unit.

A 3rd year and healthy Mark Andrews. A 2nd year and healthy Hollywood Brown. A 2nd year Miles Boykin that gets more targets due to the departures of Roberts and possibly absorbing some targets from Hayden Hurst and Roman and Harbs specifically expanding his role.

If you compare the importance of the run game to the importance of the pass game in this offense there is no comparison. This offense was the best running offense in the NFL, it was a record setting rushing offense. Their running EPA is was better then most team's passing EPA which is unheard of. When you have a chance to add a dynamic player at arguably the second most important position on your team then drafting a BPA RB is an easy decision.

When it comes to decision that Decosta made, I fully expected them to draft a RB due both to quality of the RB group and the importance of run game to this offense.
    Therefore for me the Dobbins decisions doesn't even rate in terms of moves that I disagree w/ DeCosta about.

When you look at the lack of depth at offensive tackle nothing else is more glaring to me in terms of lack of depth.
    Last edited by edromeo; 08-09-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Disagree about top half of rd 1 though. Studs at RB have fallen to rd 2 often recently. Since 2016 we've had Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, Nick Chubb, Miles Sanders...
    Stop coming at me with "facts". Can't you see I'm on a roll??