Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The One Move I Disagree With by Decosta

I've been watching the games on Lamar's MVP season on NFL network.
    One player that was not resigned that should have been

Josh Bynes

Hindsight not withstanding, his play was so solid and his veteran presence and familiarity with Baltimore helped the defense tremendously.

I love our rookie picks. I find myself smiling whenever I remember "we got Harrison too!!", however, especially in early games, inexperience and lack of preseason games could cost the Ravens. At the end of the year, all games count.

Covid or an injury Queen, Harrison or Fort could quickly put the ILBs behind the eight ball.

Bynes was too good and great insurance at a low cost. Mistakes by EDC are like politicians speaking the truth. This is one of those rare times IMO.

Do you agree with my assessment. Is there any moves made you don't agree with.

Don't get me wrong, Decosta is the man and he will prove me wrong on my take, maybe
    Last edited by BearArms; 08-07-2020 at 12:07 AM.

Re: The One Move I Disagree With by Decosta

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Is there any moves made you don't agree with.
    Clowney's just sittting out there. We should be kicking those tires, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Clowney's just sittting out there. We should be kicking those tires, I think.
    He is screwing himself over so much. I think he sits out the season and then finds a saturated FA market after it's over when other teams cut 25% of their roster.

Idk, do yaal think Mosley would have chosen to opt out if he was still a Raven? Cuz we could have really used him last year.
    All ravens fans are right about something

Quote Originally Posted by rararavens View Post
    Idk, do yaal think Mosley would have chosen to opt out if he was still a Raven? Cuz we could have really used him last year.
    Well he opted out of covering tight ends all the time as a Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Well he opted out of covering tight ends all the time as a Raven.
    I think that narrative is harsh on Moseley. He wasn't bad in coverage really, it's just that the Ravens (Pees especially) gave him too much coverage responsibility.

He was left in on 3rd and long, covering someone one on one. Compared to the safeties and corners he was definitely the weak link in coverage and the pass rush was so awful in his last few years in Baltimore that eventually his man would get open and we'd all blame CJ.

That's a hard situation for any linebacker but when you think of all the passes he broke up and passing lanes he got into, he wasn't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I think that narrative is harsh on Moseley. He wasn't bad in coverage really, it's just that the Ravens (Pees especially) gave him too much coverage responsibility.

He was left in on 3rd and long, covering someone one on one. Compared to the safeties and corners he was definitely the weak link in coverage and the pass rush was so awful in his last few years in Baltimore that eventually his man would get open and we'd all blame CJ.

That's a hard situation for any linebacker but when you think of all the passes he broke up and passing lanes he got into, he wasn't so bad.
    Can't blame being out of position and getting confused in coverage on the pass rush brotha. That happened a lot with Mosley and that's essentially why we did not pay him. He got exposed early and often in coverage.

I've been watching the games on Lamar's MVP season on NFL network.
    One player that was not resigned that should have been

Josh Bynes

Hindsight not withstanding, his play was so solid and his veteran presence and familiarity with Baltimore helped the defense tremendously.
    Good idea for a topic.

Completely agree about Bynes. I think maybe DeCosta was hoping to leave it late and pick him up cheaply when the Bengals swooped in.

I'll add an even bigger ILB mistake. How could DeCosta and the coaches have misevaluated Peanut, Kenny Young and Board so badly? It was a major mistake that could have been fatal to the whole season if we hadn't found Bynes and Fort yet I've never heard Harbaugh, Wink or DeCosta address it at all. They haven't talked about why they got it so wrong and how they'll avoid such catastrophic misevaluations in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Can't blame being out of position and getting confused in coverage on the pass rush brotha. That happened a lot with Mosley and that's essentially why we did not pay him. He got exposed early and often in coverage.
    We tried to pay him a huge contract before the Jets went crazy and outbid us, so obviously the coaches didn't see it that way. (And neither did I.)

Covid or an injury Queen, Harrison or Fort could quickly put the ILBs behind the eight ball.

Bynes was too good and great insurance at a low cost.
    Along the same lines I'd add Canaday in 2019 to the list even though it didn't turn out bad.

It's the same idea as your ILB argument. He was a decent back up corner (better than Averett) who could have been kept cheaply, epecially with Tavon already out. DeCosta didn't know that Peters would fall into his lap and that the rest of the corners would stay healthy. We could easily have found ourselves wishing we'd kept Canady.

Blog Entries

Offense Tackle - depth

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Good idea for a topic.

Completely agree about Bynes. I think maybe DeCosta was hoping to leave it late and pick him up cheaply when the Bengals swooped in.

I'll add an even bigger ILB mistake. How could DeCosta and the coaches have misevaluated Peanut, Kenny Young and Board so badly? It was a major mistake that could have been fatal to the whole season if we hadn't found Bynes and Fort yet I've never heard Harbaugh, Wink or DeCosta address it at all. They haven't talked about why they got it so wrong and how they'll avoid such catastrophic misevaluations in future.
    I would estimate that it has something to do with analytics showing that LB’er is one of the least impactful positions on the field, that plays increasingly fewer snaps every year: I think they knew it was a weakness, but they simply didn’t think it was important. And then they found out they undervalued it and fixed it cheaply mid-season, reminding them why they had undervalued it. Because street FA’s played well enough to solve the issue.
    They really fixed that this draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk