Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: What player would you trade 2 1st rounders for?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I get how highly you value Donald and won't challenge that. But you mentioned taking positional value out of it and if you go back you will see I highly value QBs only because a top 2-3 QB is just such a difference maker.

With Donald the Rams didn't win a lot of games last year but imagine if his talent value was at QB. They win 12 games just off of having that much talent at QB. A DL just doesn't impact the game as much.

That said, Donald is a game wrecker.
    Like I said, I understand your point.
    QB is immensely more valuable than any other position. Not more than the other 21 players, but closer than many would like to admit.

I would say it’s
    QB
    Coverage players
    Pass rush
    OT
    A jumbled mess of everyone else.
    Probably the most important player in team sports. Not sure that’s even debatable. There was a time that Center in basketball could be argued l, but that day has passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Like I said, I understand your point.
    QB is immensely more valuable than any other position. Not more than the other 21 players, but closer than many would like to admit.

I would say it’s
    QB
    Coverage players
    Pass rush
    OT
    A jumbled mess of everyone else.
    Probably the most important player in team sports. Not sure that’s even debatable. There was a time that Center in basketball could be argued l, but that day has passed.

Qbs
    Interior pass rush

1 and 2

Question is - what pick in the draft are we talking about trading. There are a lot of players I would give up our next two 1st rounders for. I mean, how much is the #32 pick worth? :)

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Question is - what pick in the draft are we talking about trading. There are a lot of players I would give up our next two 1st rounders for. I mean, how much is the #32 pick worth? :)
    I am talking any first rounder because I am looking at the 5 cheap years per player (10 years) and the availability of those cap dollars.

jonboy and I discussed Aaron Donald and if we made that trade I wouldn't be mad, but the Ramsey or Adams trades? No way are they worth 10 cheap years of high draft pick play (even if both are 32s) plus that cap space that can be used to sign comparable talent off the street or keep on your team that great player you drafted.

Sure, one of those picks might be Elam but the other might be Ed Reed. Likely you get a Mosely or Heap. 5 years each of Mosely and Heap plus the cap space to resign a Reed or Ray Lewis. No way are Ramsey or Adams worth that.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    yeah, no one is giving up 2 4th overall picks for anyone

but like a 20 and 28

Jamal Adams

P. Mahomes would cost more than 2 firsts

I am talking any first rounder because I am looking at the 5 cheap years per player (10 years) and the availability of those cap dollars.

jonboy and I discussed Aaron Donald and if we made that trade I wouldn't be mad, but the Ramsey or Adams trades? No way are they worth 10 cheap years of high draft pick play (even if both are 32s) plus that cap space that can be used to sign comparable talent off the street or keep on your team that great player you drafted.

Sure, one of those picks might be Elam but the other might be Ed Reed. Likely you get a Mosely or Heap. 5 years each of Mosely and Heap plus the cap space to resign a Reed or Ray Lewis. No way are Ramsey or Adams worth that.
    I wouldn't count the 5th yr option as cheap.

If you would look at what we believe our 1st rd picks are going to be which we really hope are lower 20's to 32 there are some options besides QB that would be interesting. TJ Watt for example would be a great add but of course you know the Steelers but we can only look at this from a Ravens point of view and what fits the bill now. So QB is out cuz there is no QB I want instead of Lamar and that includes Mahomes. Then you have to look in the future and see if any trades could regain some draft capital or gain comp picks cuz with a lot of picks you could move back into the 1st if you wish. Bottomline is only a passrusher would I give up 2 1sts for and it has to be a young stud with an extension

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They didn’t even get one 1st for Hopkins
    I know. They got a steal. Hopkins 2 years ago I would have given two 1s for.

Or Heap (who I liked) or Perriman. My point is that if you are trying to win it all then a genuine game changer at a key position would be worth two late first round picks. As for the salaries, I think the difference between two late firsts and a non-QB superstar is about $10-$12 million/year.

Now that we have a superstar QB, I can’t imagine trading away 2 #1’s.

If I were though, the only players I’d consider would be a guy like Michael Thomas and a pass rusher like Danielle Hunter or Bosa.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Now that we have a superstar QB, I can’t imagine trading away 2 #1’s.

If I were though, the only players I’d consider would be a guy like Michael Thomas and a pass rusher like Danielle Hunter or Bosa.
    I'm not trading two first rounders for a man named Danielle.

From the Ravens point of view?

The only thing that qualifies are pass rushers still on their rookie contract. I'm not giving up two 1sts for Khalil Mack or Aaron Donald who are already age 29 and making $25m+ per year. Or IOL is also a current and long term need but I wouldn't trade two 1sts for one.

That pretty much leaves us with these players which qualify and are talented enough to warrant the price: Nick Bosa, Josh Allen (OLB), Chase Young

If we're talking about overall, then there's a lot more options at positions like QB, CB, and in the future LT. I'm not giving up two 1sts for any WR unless we're talking GOAT levels like Jerry Rice or Randy Moss.

QB: Pat Maholmes (even on new contract), Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow

OT: Ronnie Stanley. Possibly more from the 2020 class if any of the top 5 prove themselves to be pro bowl level

CB: Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey, Tre'Davious White, Denzel Ward

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Have you actually seen him play? I’m dumbfounded by this response... Aaron Donald, the DT for the Rams that leaded the league in pressures every year??!

You're presenting his value as what he's done over the past several seasons.

When you're trading multiple 1st round picks you need to be thinking about what he's GOING to do for the next 5 years. Because that's production you would've been getting out of your draft picks. And, as has been mentioned, what you could've gotten for that $25m per year that's now being given to Donald.

If we were talking about giving up two 1st round picks for Aaron Donald 2 or 3 years ago? There's definitely a discussion. But I'm not giving up 2 or 3 1st round picks for a 29 year old DT taking up $25m in cap space.