Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: What player would you trade 2 1st rounders for?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    You would not trade 2 let firsts for Aaron Donald?

I’d probably go 3... even with his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pure math.

He is costing you more than 2 first round picks. I would take Calais Campbell, Wolfe, and the 2 first rounders over Donald. You might disagree and I get that but you can sign guys like that massive contracts without trading high picks for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Pure math.

He is costing you more than 2 first round picks. I would take Calais Campbell, Wolfe, and the 2 first rounders over Donald. You might disagree and I get that but you can sign guys like that massive contracts without trading high picks for them.
    I may disagree, and do, but I also get your point.
    I think my opinion is probably a bit higher than you on Donald. I’m in the PfF camp that he’s the best player in the league at any position by a WIDE margin if you take positional value out of it, and his positional value ain’t terrible: I think they had him 3.0 or more higher grades than anyone three years In a row..

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Theres an arguement donald is the best player in the league at the 2nd most important position
    It’s not even much of an argument: It has to be opinion based but any arguments to the contrary are kind of silly: Him, Mahomes and maybe Lamar are the only people worth considering. I guess maybe Quentin Nelson or Justin Tucker but the. Positional value drops precipitously.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Donald? Not no...HELL NO. He was a zero when we played him last year.

Only one position I would ever trade 2 firsts for, that is QB. And we don't need one.

3 firsts? That would be an insane franchise wrecking move. Let's not forget who we have drafting for this team.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Have you actually seen him play? I’m dumbfounded by this response... Aaron Donald, the DT for the Rams that leaded the league in pressures every year??!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Theres an arguement donald is the best player in the league at the 2nd most important position
    An argument? It’s actually way harder to argue against that viewpoint than for it...

Have you actually seen him play? I’m dumbfounded by this response... Aaron Donald, the DT for the Rams that leaded the league in pressures every year??!

Yeah. Great player. But not worth 3 firsts...or 2...and a mega contract.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Yeah. Great player. But not worth 3 firsts...or 2...and a mega contract.

Do you agree, outside the QB position there isn’t anyone even in his stratosphere as far as value?

Jalen Ramsey and Jamal Adams and Laremy Tunsil just brought two first and none should be discussed in the same sentence as him.

If your point is that only QB’s are worth that I guess I can understand but that’s all I could understand, and still..
    honestly I think the Rams would laugh at an offer for 3 1sts.. and a hang up quickly.
    Similarly, if I was KC and someone called to trade for Mahomes I would laugh and hang up. There is no price worth selling for. 10/15/20 firsts? Probably still no...

There's a lot of over valuing of late first round draft picks going on here. The whole point of the draft is to try to acquire good players.

A couple of months ago I looked at the last decade of first rounds. About a third of picks became average starters, slightly over a third were busts and slightly under a third became good or great.

With that in mind a great player is clearly worth more than a late first. A lot more. That's when teams start taking running backs and linebackers. (No offense Patrick)

I understand that 2 firsts seems crazy because we imagine every pick becoming a great cheap young player but it doesn't work like that, not even with DeCosta. The difference between the good and bad drafting teams is really marginal in the first round. After all, nearly every one of those busts was an across the board consensus great prospect

Another thing to consider is that the 5th year isn't cheap anymore. It's closer to the franchise tag than a rookie contract. On average 2 firsts will net you 8 cheap years between 2 average starters.

The market tells you which is more valuable. The star player will make much more in 2 or 3 years than the 2 average guys will make in 8. That's what I mean by over valuing draft picks.

Blog Entries

Justin Tucker. I’d spend 5 actually

QB only. Jackson and Mahomes, probably Wilson or Watson... eh, list isn't long. Burrows if he turns out to be a stud.

Donald? Not no...HELL NO. He was a zero when we played him last year.

Only one position I would ever trade 2 firsts for, that is QB. And we don't need one.
    I agree with the principle that good teams don't trade away draft picks but sticking to any rule too rigidly can be a mistake. If the Rams were willing to let the Ravens have Aaron Donald for 2 late first round picks it would be stupid not to take advantage. The chance that those picks (and Donald's salary) could get you something more valuable than the best non QB of the decade are vanishingly small.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I may disagree, and do, but I also get your point.
    I think my opinion is probably a bit higher than you on Donald. I’m in the PfF camp that he’s the best player in the league at any position by a WIDE margin if you take positional value out of it, and his positional value ain’t terrible: I think they had him 3.0 or more higher grades than anyone three years In a row..

I get how highly you value Donald and won't challenge that. But you mentioned taking positional value out of it and if you go back you will see I highly value QBs only because a top 2-3 QB is just such a difference maker.

With Donald the Rams didn't win a lot of games last year but imagine if his talent value was at QB. They win 12 games just off of having that much talent at QB. A DL just doesn't impact the game as much.

That said, Donald is a game wrecker.