Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Lamar Jackson wants Antonio Brown

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    It wouldn't be such a big risk. Do you really think he'd destroy the team spirit or something? Do you you think Harbaugh would let him?

He didn't destroy the Raiders locker room when he was having his helmet drama, freezing his feet and trying to fight Mayock. The biggest problem he caused was that they were relying on him to be the number one receiver that everyone else fed off.

The Ravens wouldn't even have that problem. The offense already functions. A focused Brown would be a nice bonus. If he's a problem, get rid of him.
    I have no idea how a locker room works in the NFL and what impact he'd make, outside or negative. As far as I know, it's all just narrative after the fact. 53 men are going to have groups within the group. Everyone can't be best friends.

I just think there's public perception baggage, which in this case i agree with, that's he's a bad dude. I don't think we need to be the team that 'won because we were willing to take a player nobody else would.' Especially when we're not desperate for talent. The team we have needs to learn to win together in the post season, and of course they can, but they gotta build there own veterans. AB would be a rental at best. I want Hollywood, and Boykin and Duverney to do this òn their own. That's some dynasty shit.

I workable want it watered down with AB. Home grown talent is what we need to foster, with the occasional exception (what's up Calais Campbell)

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    I have no idea how a locker room works in the NFL and what impact he'd make, outside or negative. As far as I know, it's all just narrative after the fact. 53 men are going to have groups within the group. Everyone can't be best friends.
    I completely agree. People usually talk about how there's a danger that Brown could mess up 'the locker room' so I assumed that's the risk you were referring to.

Have to say I care even less about the PR risk that the team stops being everybody's darling. Look at the dynasty of our time; the Patriots didn't care how evil they were. They just cared about winning and every move they made was geared towards that. They didn't hesitate to bring in dubious characters if they thought it would help them to win.

Obviously the best result would be for all our young receivers to turn out to be great while they're still cheap but it's unlikely to happen all at once, if it ever happens. We'd have a better chance of a superbowl with an insurance policy in case it doesn't.

For me, the reward of getting a superstar WR relatively cheaply outweighs the risk that he's a nightmare and we have to cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I completely agree. People usually talk about how there's a danger that Brown could mess up 'the locker room' so I assumed that's the risk you were referring to.

Have to say I care even less about the PR risk that the team stops being everybody's darling. Look at the dynasty of our time; the Patriots didn't care how evil they were. They just cared about winning and every move they made was geared towards that. They didn't hesitate to bring in dubious characters if they thought it would help them to win.

Obviously the best result would be for all our young receivers to turn out to be great while they're still cheap but it's unlikely to happen all at once, if it ever happens. We'd have a better chance of a superbowl with an insurance policy in case it doesn't.

For me, the reward of getting a superstar WR relatively cheaply outweighs the risk that he's a nightmare and we have to cut him.
    Also could probably benefit the young guys in terms of them seeing how a hof level receiver goes about his preparation.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I’d there is a team that can corral AB and get the best from him without Drama it’s the Ravens. IMO. I also think he has many, many reasons to be on his best behavior.
    I agree and would rather have the young guys break out, but if they haven’t and AB remains unsigned it’s a low cost potentially high reward pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I’d there is a team that can corral AB and get the best from him without Drama it’s the Ravens. IMO. I also think he has many, many reasons to be on his best behavior.

The strength of his relationships with his cousin, and Lamar mean everything in this case. They cannot be overvalued when it comes to a team's potential ability to keep him in line.

His issues have always been with his quarterbacks, fellow receivers, and coaches. If he's already got such a strong bond with the number 2 receiver, and the QB, I don't see him blowing up the same way as he has in the past with guys he didn't even like. Meanwhile, Harbaugh is probably as good of a coach as you can hope for. All in all, the three issues he has repeatedly had in the past should theoretically be less of an issue here. So, I think it could work.

The issue for me is an ethical one. He has supposedly done some messed up stuff in the past. It would be hard swallowing that, and rooting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    If he's already got such a strong bond with the number 2 receiver, and the QB, I don't see him blowing up the same way as he has in the past with guys he didn't even like.
    The issue for me is an ethical one.
    The issue for me is a medical one. Mood swings, impulse control and erratic behavior: if all those indicate a CTE case
    (and I have no special info about that)
    then AB can't keep from "blowing up", no matter how good the relationships and the culture and the coaching are.

I'd want some reassurances about AB from a medical standpoint. If that's even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    The issue for me is a medical one. Mood swings, impulse control and erratic behavior: if all those indicate a CTE case
    (and I have no special info about that)
    then AB can't keep from "blowing up", no matter how good the relationships and the culture and the coaching are.

I'd want some reassurances about AB from a medical standpoint. If that's even possible.
    That's a fair point. If he's truly suffering from CTE there may be no helping him.

I still think the odds are much better with Hollywood, Lamar, and even Harbaugh here though. I don't see him being as upset when the targets he wants go to his little cousin, whom he wants to see do well. I don't see him being as upset when his good friend messes up at QB, vs. when a guy he dislikes, like Big Ben does it. I just think he will be much more forgiving in the first place, and then when he does blow up, Hollywood/Lamar/Harbaugh have a good chance of bringing him back around. If that trio can't then nobody can, and maybe that's the case. Maybe his mental condition is so far deteriorated it's beyond the point of no return. With that in mind, a medical psychological evaluation would be reassuring, as you suggested.

I would, hands down, be willing to take that risk, given his talent & the cheap contract he will command at this point, if it weren't for the fact he has some very serious allegations against him. For me, that's the biggest issue, as a fan. I can certainly see where you're coming from though. In any case, it will be interesting to see how his situation plays out.

Blog Entries

I would be fine with the Ravens signing AB to a one-year deal, which will now just be for 8 games plus the playoffs. I don’t see any significant risk to doing that. They can evaluate what they want to do for the 2021 season in the off-season.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Best case scenario: A.B. is a great mentor who helps the Ravens win a Super Bowl.

Worst case scenario: A.B. divides the locker room and, due to his relationship with Hollywood, poisons Hollywood against (Do you poison "against" something?) the organization.

Next: which scenario is more likely and by how much?

For now its good cheer and optimism. It's summertime.
    But later: "I was open." "I'm not getting respect." "What meds? I don't need meds. YOU need meds. I'm Antonio Brown."

The fruit is too likely to be mushy on the inside, and the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Um, what's Josh Gordon up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    Best case scenario: A.B. is a great mentor who helps the Ravens win a Super Bowl.

Worst case scenario: A.B. divides the locker room and, due to his relationship with Hollywood, poisons Hollywood against (Do you poison "against" something?) the organization.

But later: "I was open." "I'm not getting respect." "What meds? I don't need meds. YOU need meds. I'm Antonio Brown."

The fruit is too likely to be mushy on the inside, and the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Um, what's Josh Gordon up to?
    Being suspended indefinitely at the moment, but the Seahawks are trying to get him back as soon as he's eligible apparently.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post

The fruit is too likely to be mushy on the inside, and the juice isn't worth the squeeze
    Yup. But poison is the wrong word - "pits Hollywood against the organization" will do.

The only thing Antonio Brown will accept besides passes thrown to him is passes thrown to his cousin... maybe. Anything else will be unacceptable in his mind and will give the team less of a chance to win.

Unfortunately I think Lamar is currently charmed by him, something I was afraid would happen. That's the history of AB and predatory people like him (usually men) - they convince you they're your friend, until they show they're not.

Ironically for those who want Lamar Jackson to run less, AB might be able to accomplish just that if he were on the team.

Blog Entries

I don’t want Lamar to run less.

I want Lamar to avoid contact.

I would only want AB if we need him.

But ‘needing’ AB could be the worst position to wind up in.