Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Training Camp Starts Today!

They have to pay the $150K back next year, it's an advance not a stipend, so if they are doing it just for the money I don't think that's a great idea on their part lol. Only at-risk players get a stipend which is I think 350K? I think Thomas may have had future considerations in mind, his play last year was bad and with our offseason additions he was a longshot to make the roster. Might as well toll the contract and in theory come to camp next year with an opportunity to put better tape out there.

I think Smith was going to make the team as long as he wasn't like, horrific during camp, and they have no experienced tackle depth now. Biggest concern on the team right now IMO especially with Stanley tending to get knicked up from time to time.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

2. Re: Training Camp Starts Today!

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    I didn't even think about bubble players who are at risk of being cut anyways opting out for a guaranteed paycheck.
    Isn't it an advance? Meaning that wouldn't be a very smart long-term move (if they don't make the team in 2021, they'd likely have to pay it back). Per salary cap guru Brian McFarland (emphasis mine):
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian McFarland
    Since Thomas is a voluntary opt out, his 1-yr deal tolls & he’s still under contract (under same terms) for 2021. He’s also eligible for a $150K advance on his 2021 salary. This would be offset in his 2021 salary, if he make team, and if not, team would be able to seek repayment.
    Source
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

I tend to question whether an organization like the Ravens would try to recoup that 150K if a guy like Thomas took it and didn't make the team next year. I don't know what the cap implications are but that seems like such a small amount (for an NFL team) and considering the circumstances...

A shit organization like the Snyders or the Bengals, probably would go after it.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I tend to question whether an organization like the Ravens would try to recoup that 150K if a guy like Thomas took it and didn't make the team next year. I don't know what the cap implications are but that seems like such a small amount (for an NFL team) and considering the circumstances...

A shit organization like the Snyders or the Bengals, probably would go after it.
    I still remember Steve Bisciotti threatening a pay cut to all the office staff during the lockout. That was peanuts to the organization but he was still going to do it until public outcry made him realize that it was a bad idea. You just never know when it comes to money

But opting out also sends your contract to next season. Getting cut this year, no contract.

On a different, but similar note, FIVE Patriots, including starters Hightower, Chung and Cannon have opted out. Looks like the wheels on the no-Brady bus are starting to come off...

If you are a bubble player, not likely to make the team opting out might be your best move. Smith might have made the team but was 50:50 at best. The other was not going to make this team at all. With no preseason tape he had little reason to work hard and still get cut. Now he can wait until next year when he gets cut and hope for another chance.

Count me in with the group that doesn't think there's a chance in hell the season gets through without major disruptions.

I just can't see it. The group of people is way too big. The bubble makes sense and has built in safety valves, but even it's not 100% guaranteed, plus they're not bubbling anyway.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Andre Smith opts out (second Ravens player to do so). Not seeing either one a big loss. Might be opting out just to make sure they get the $150k (which is better than being cut).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mith-opts-out/
    Fair point. Figured Thomas wouldn't be on the team either way.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

IIRC Ravens signed at least one UDFA that can return

also I think S Geno Stone can return?

edit: WR Jaylon Moore (Tenn-Martin) can return
    https://youtu.be/tG4deaZ8VVU
    Last edited by sailorsam; 07-28-2020 at 12:27 PM. Reason: add content
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    IIRC Ravens signed at least one UDFA that can return

also I think S Geno Stone can return?
    Doesn't Proche return?

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Doesn't Proche return?
    yes he does

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...n-return-game/
    ***The rookie out of SMU still has his work cut out for him in terms of making an impact on offense, but Proche will likely get the chance to contribute on special teams right away. Proche logged 50 punt returns in college and averaged a career-best 9.6 yards per return in 2019. However, Proche (4.63 40-yard dash) lacks standout speed, so it's not a lock that he'll remain the team's returner all season.***
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Proche was always the favourite for both return jobs to me. He doesn't have elite speed, but he has good vision, sure hands.

Elite returners have the speed, but the good ones have the vision.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB