Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ebikes - Anyone own one? If so what do you think

I've been doing some research. I do a lot of walking/hiking with my dog around my house in upper rock creek. I've been wanting to get back biking but am looking for something fun. Those things look crazy fun to ride. I want something that can handle trails but not sure I want a fat tire bike. Looks like you can get a decent bike for $1,500.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Blog Entries

Re: Ebikes - Anyone own one? If so what do you think

Quote Originally Posted by Moe the Crow View Post
    I've been doing some research. I do a lot of walking/hiking with my dog around my house in upper rock creek. I've been wanting to get back biking but am looking for something fun. Those things look crazy fun to ride. I want something that can handle trails but not sure I want a fat tire bike. Looks like you can get a decent bike for $1,500.
    I honestly don't know anything about them but have thought about looking into one myself. I have been getting into bike riding a lot more this year. Is there any particular brand/model you've been eyeing. I see there is quite a range in prices.

What the hell is an ebike?
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Has an electric motor so you can get an assist if you want it

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    It's a motorized bike. It's heavier than a normal bike obviously due to having a motor and battery but operates like a bike. They can have throttles but are sometimes just assisted pedaling based on sensors and what settings you select. They are supposedly crazy fun to ride. They are really viable commuter options too. I would use it to hit trails some trails near my house and to go on long rides on some of the paths around Rock Creek and the ICC.

6. Re: Ebikes - Anyone own one? If so what do you think

They are forbidden around here on the trails. I would think that may be the same in other places eventually. If they aren't where you are, you're lucky.

How is this different than a moped?

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    They are forbidden around here on the trails. I would think that may be the same in other places eventually. If they aren't where you are, you're lucky.
    I need to look at the laws. I think class 2 are allowed in Maryland.

Blog Entries

I need to look at the laws. I think class 2 are allowed in Maryland.
    I have seen them on the B&A trail by the airport. The C&O towpath and the NCR trail both have signs that say no motorized vehicles but not sure if that includes E bikes. IMO, it shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    I have seen them on the B&A trail by the airport. The C&O towpath and the NCR trail both have signs that say no motorized vehicles but not sure if that includes E bikes. IMO, it shouldn't.
    I am young and strong enough to get a regular mountain bike and ride for another 10 - 15 years no problem. I can see them being helpful to older riders and I've heard you end up getting almost as good a workout as a regular bike. The thing with these bikes that I keep reading is they are so much fun to ride you end up riding more so you end up getting more exercise and getting out more which is a good thing.

Blog Entries

I am young and strong enough to get a regular mountain bike and ride for another 10 - 15 years no problem. I can see them being helpful to older riders and I've heard you end up getting almost as good a workout as a regular bike. The thing with these bikes that I keep reading is they are so much fun to ride you end up riding more so you end up getting more exercise and getting out more which is a good thing.
    I found this on the DNR website

Electric Bicycle Policy
    The operation of electric bicycles is permitted in all State Park areas where motorized vehicles are allowed, e.g. interior public-use roads, parking lots, etc. Except as described below, electric bicycles are prohibited on State Park trails and other areas not designated for motorized vehicles, regardless of trail width or surface (paved, gravel, natural surface).

Class 1 (only) electric bicycles are permitted on the Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail and the Western Maryland Rail Trail. On the two permitted rail trails, Class 1 electric bicycles are regulated the same as all other bicycles, and are subject to all applicable bicycle rules and regulations regarding operation and safety equipment.

As per § 11-117.1 of the Transportation Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, a Class 1 electric bicycle is equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles per hour.

E-bikes are allowed on the C&O towpath
    https://www.canaltrust.org/2019/10/e...n-the-towpath/

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    I found this on the DNR website

Electric Bicycle Policy
    The operation of electric bicycles is permitted in all State Park areas where motorized vehicles are allowed, e.g. interior public-use roads, parking lots, etc. Except as described below, electric bicycles are prohibited on State Park trails and other areas not designated for motorized vehicles, regardless of trail width or surface (paved, gravel, natural surface).

Class 1 (only) electric bicycles are permitted on the Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail and the Western Maryland Rail Trail. On the two permitted rail trails, Class 1 electric bicycles are regulated the same as all other bicycles, and are subject to all applicable bicycle rules and regulations regarding operation and safety equipment.

As per § 11-117.1 of the Transportation Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, a Class 1 electric bicycle is equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles per hour.

E-bikes are allowed on the C&O towpath
    https://www.canaltrust.org/2019/10/e...n-the-towpath/
    I figured the assistance only bikes were allowed. They have to allow some degree of E-bike as we have an aging population and there is no good reason not to if they are limited in a way that makes them safe/safer. My thing is there is no way in hell they are going to catch me where I would be riding it. They are not going to know. Pedal assist alone would be boring AF to me. I think they do these things for a couple reasons. A) Keep commuters on e-bikes from using trails as a "highway" to work. B) Safety C) To keep current bikers who tend to be fucking zealots happy. I hate most bikers. They think they own every path in the state and are obnoxious as F about sharing a lot of times.