Article on Officials, Ravens, and Penalties

Good read, from Jamison Hensley:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...mostviewedlink

Asked whether the number of penalties suggests an undisciplined team, Billick said, "That's one of those easy things to criticize, like clock management. There's no right answer, and it's easy to just throw it out there."
    I don't really like Billick's remarks about the clock management. More example of the stubborn and always right Billick never being able to adjust.

Re: Article on Officials, Ravens, and Penalties

"I wouldn't say they're not calling the games fairly," Rolle said. "But I would say we get watched a little more than other teams."
    I think Rolle hits the nail on the head with this quote. The Ravens brought this on themselves in the Detroit game. But, I thinkn it goes back furthur than that. I really started noticing the refs ''watching' and 'nit-picking' on us after Billick came to town. I htink his comments on Refs and replay in the past put us on the Refs "watch list".

I definitly think you should not blame a loss on the refs,
    but It has definitley happened. Remember the Ravens vs Seahawks game. The refs clock error in the final minutes cost the Seahawks that game.

Bottom line is the Ravens must realize they are being watched and rise above.

Cool Re: Article on Officials, Ravens, and Penalties

He's never going to say, "Yea your right, my team is undisciplined". If he did I'd lose respect for him. Being Flagged 139 time , 21 in one game, during last season speaks volumes of what he thinks of the team and to a higher degree the refs. All we can hope for is that he straightens this crap out otherwise he can be smug on the sidelines next year as an OC for some other team, that is if his HC lets him even talk to the media.

I do think the overall performace of these guys is bad. It's not just our games it's every game. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought these guys are part-timers....meaning they have other jobs and just ref on the weekends. These guys need to be full-time, trained, etc.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513
    I do think the overall performace of these guys is bad. It's not just our games it's every game. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought these guys are part-timers....meaning they have other jobs and just ref on the weekends. These guys need to be full-time, trained, etc.
    The NFL always answers this question by saying these guys have high paying regular jobs that they would be unwilling to quit. They say it would then take too much time to train better officials and in the mean time we would be stuck with scrubs while waiting for the full timers to get up to speed.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Quote Originally Posted by F Angelos
    The NFL always answers this question by saying these guys have high paying regular jobs that they would be unwilling to quit. They say it would then take too much time to train better officials and in the mean time we would be stuck with scrubs while waiting for the full timers to get up to speed.
    Such a load of crap.

1. The NFL made 5.8 BILLION in revenue last year. Pay these refs good money to do a good job.

2. Nobody said that they have to make the trasition in one year. Mix the part timers with the full timers for a few years and before you know it, you have an experienced, vested, FULL TIME officiating squad.

I don't understand why they keep making excuses. I guess so long as they are still making their green...

If they want to pay full time coaches, train me and I'll do it. Seriously, doesn't every other major US Sport have professional refs? Considering the NFL is the biggest (depending how you slice it, though it is in most terms I believe) of them all, I find it ludicrous that the refs in the NFL aren't paid to do what they do.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

They don't want full time refs because they wouldn't have anything for them to do from February through July. They do go through a lot of training, they don't just show up for games. If you gave them year round training you might see a small improvement, but the game is very fast and mistakes can happen.

9. Re: Article on Officials, Ravens, and Penalties

I smell a rat when it comes to the refs and the Ravens. The Detroit game was absolutely ridiculous. "Malice in his heart." What in the hell is that supposed to mean??

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    They don't want full time refs because they wouldn't have anything for them to do from February through July. They do go through a lot of training, they don't just show up for games. If you gave them year round training you might see a small improvement, but the game is very fast and mistakes can happen.
    The NFL says they don't have anything for them to do between Feb and July, But why not send them over to NFL Europe during May through July and let them attend meetings and training duringMarch and April. Let them have February off.

If you watch NHL games the Refs are youg guys who played Hockey in College or at some high level. They are full time and they are among the best refs in sports. They are young, they are fast (ie they can get out of the way on crucial plays), they are strong (ie they don't get bowled over by the players), and they understand the game since they played it.

I do not see why the NFL can't follow a similar model. Take some fo the College players who missed out on NFL opportunities and train them to be refs and pay them well to do this full time.

(I know I am over using these things but there are some cool new ones I just can't resist.)

(since I mentioned hockey eh)