Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Good Sam Harris video debunking narrative of epidemic of police killings of black men

Quote Originally Posted by Moe the Crow View Post
    How many people have actually listened to this youtube/podcast? I suspect people who don't want to believe what he's saying won't. Or they will selectively here the truths they want that he lays down in this video.
    Not had a chance yet.

Re: Good Sam Harris video debunking narrative of epidemic of police killings of black men

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    How would you know they killed someone if they lied and covered it up?
    There are a lot instances like Ahmaud Arbery where the police hid the murder but because one of the perpetrators released the video, justice was served. If the guy trailing the incident never took the video, justice for Ahmaud would have never come.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    There are a lot instances like Ahmaud Arbery where the police hid the murder but because one of the perpetrators released the video, justice was served. If the guy trailing the incident never took the video, justice for Ahmaud would have never come.
    a) that's not police brutality or a police killing an unarmed man b) we know he died so that's not some number in that was missed in the states that are cited to believe the narrative you've bought into hook line and sinker.

I might start calling you Manti Te'o

Quote Originally Posted by Moe the Crow View Post
    How many people have actually listened to this youtube/podcast? I suspect people who don't want to believe what he's saying won't. Or they will selectively here the truths they want that he lays down in this video.
    I got half to two thirds of the way through.
    I stopped because.
    A. He is pretty monotone and lacked energy to keep me drawn in to the still photo.
    B. I’ve already done the math on a similar set of statistics and drawn very similar conclusions.

So it just wasn’t drawing my attention enough to keep listening. When i last looked into it, Hispanics actually are the minority race that should have beef with cops as they got killed by police more than their participation in violent crime should suggest. To me, much like in this podcast, that is the statistical measure that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a) that's not police brutality or a police killing an unarmed man b) we know he died so that's not some number in that was missed in the states that are cited to believe the narrative you've bought into hook line and sinker.

I might start calling you Manti Te'o
    You're ignoring the fact that the police department as a hole covered up the murder, not the actual murderer. They protected an ex cop. The point is that cops cover for other cops wrongdoing every day.

Me bringing this up is just trying to show how naive all of you are to believe that 1. The cops are good little boys and girls that tell the truth every time 2. If it wasn't caught on camera, it didn't happen.

Black people have been saying that the numbers are bogus and a lot of bs never gets the light of day because of a lack of videos, but because a lot of people choose to live with blinders, they are incapable of acknowledging that there are serious issues they don't face on a everyday basis.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

IT doesn't matter. bandc believes there is some grand conspiracy that the police are covering up all the black people they're murdering. Next he'll find an Alex Jones article on where the mass grave is that is hiding all the bodies.
    Switch it to all the people, and I wouldn't put it past them

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    His premise is built on that blacks are killed more because he refuses to accept data that they commit more crime. The stat on arrests vs. victim
    Description completely undercuts that arguments
    His premise is when police use excessive force, they lie and say they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    His premise is when police use excessive force, they lie and say they didn't.

And that they are targeting blacks. They are not

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I got half to two thirds of the way through.
    I stopped because.
    A. He is pretty monotone and lacked energy to keep me drawn in to the still photo.
    B. I’ve already done the math on a similar set of statistics and drawn very similar conclusions.

So it just wasn’t drawing my attention enough to keep listening. When i last looked into it, Hispanics actually are the minority race that should have beef with cops as they got killed by police more than their participation in violent crime should suggest. To me, much like in this podcast, that is the statistical measure that matters.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The last third is the best part.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

I don't like to do the stat thing because it seems abusive and gratuitous when you employ them... however, Harris makes a good point that if you care about justice then you have to care about facts and stats...and the facts don't support an epidemic of police killing black people. This was from a paper by a black researcher who expected to see the that and did not. The story of violent crime in the US is for the most part one of black on black violence that looks like this.

It's also black on white violence. It's rarely white on black violence.

He does say blacks are much more likely to have "hands on" treatment from police but that it's not likely purely a result of ambient racism. I don't want to paraphrase everything he says because he does a much better job and MOST OF IT IS IN THE LAST 1/3 OF THE PODCAST.

His aim is to try to dial down tension for the good of everyone and that starts with looking at what is actually happening, understanding it and moving on from there.
    Last edited by Moe the Crow; 07-23-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

So what are your thoughts on the more general statement if you take targeting out?