Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good Sam Harris video debunking narrative of epidemic of police killings of black men

This is very interesting. I was surprised to see this as it doesn't seem like something up his alley. Some of the things he cites are very interesting. It's not a one sided refutation of everything but it disputes key claims and lays a lot of the blame for the narrative at the feet of lopsided media reporting. It does implicate police in "laying hands" more often on blacks but refutes the idea that racism is at its heart as a lot of the violence comes at the hands of black and latin police and not white police.

Very interesting and worth everyone's time to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w8daOAobjw
    Last edited by Moe the Crow; 07-21-2020 at 10:47 PM.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Re: Good Sam Harris video debunking narrative of epidemic of police killings of black men

Why is this important? Why post this. I think it's worth possibly offending people to discuss this in way that creates better perspective. I agree with Sam's final thought that we may be in a state of quasi-hysteria right now. From where I'm sitting, that little girl that was shot dead when her mother tried to go around a road block near the Wendy's that got burned down may have died from that hysteria. Our cities may be burning and people getting hurt, losing their business, becoming more entrenched in racial mistrust and hatred etc... in part due to hysteria. It's worth trying to discuss honestly and rationally.

Re: Good Sam Harris video debunking narrative of epidemic of police killings of black men

Quote Originally Posted by Moe the Crow View Post
    This is very interesting. I was surprised to see this as it doesn't seem like something up his alley. Some of the things he cites are very interesting. It's not a one sided refutation of everything but it disputes key claims and lays a lot of the blame for the narrative at the feet of lopsided media reporting. It does implicate police in "laying hands" more often on blacks but refutes the idea that racism is at its heart as a lot of the violence comes at the hands of black and latin police and not white police.

Very interesting and worth everyone's time to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w8daOAobjw
    I haven't watched it yet, but I will. However, I'm sure he is going to go straight to the data. I've tried to show over and over again how police-reported statistics are so demonstrably false. Police are habitual liars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Police are habitual liars.
    Luckily the public is made up of all Saints. That's why our streets are crime-free... Bc

I haven't watched it yet, but I will. However, I'm sure he is going to go straight to the data. I've tried to show over and over again how police-reported statistics are so demonstrably false. Police are habitual liars.
    It's more of a podcast. It's a still photo with Harris talking. He's a pretty mellow dude. I don't now how I would describe him but he's not conservative. He's more of a secular humanist.

When you decide to be a cop and are handed the power of the law (and the power to interpret it at your own whim and leisure) and a gun, you are held to a higher standard. There are important positions in society that isn't meant for liars. An accountant who is caught lying will never see a spreadsheet again. A doctor caught lying will never touch a stethoscope again.

Policemen rightfully should be held to a higher standard than the public.

It's more of a podcast. It's a still photo with Harris talking. He's a pretty mellow dude. I don't now how I would describe him but he's not conservative. He's more of a secular humanist.
    Yep, I was actually introduced to him as he was the first to give Andrew Yang a platform. He is definitely an even-handed fellow.

When you decide to be a cop and are handed the power of the law (and the power to interpret it at your own whim and leisure) and a gun, you are held to a higher standard. There are important positions in society that isn't meant for liars. An accountant who is caught lying will never see a spreadsheet again. A doctor caught lying will never touch a stethoscope again.

Policemen rightfully should be held to a higher standard than the public.
    Wow. You should consider yourself lucky that with those ideas floating around in your head you will likely never, ever, ever, ever be selected to sit on any jury.

I've tried to show over and over again how police-reported statistics are so demonstrably false. Police are habitual liars.
    Your argument here is undercut by the fact that the racial percentages of arrests match the racial percentages given by victims

Wow. You should consider yourself lucky that with those ideas floating around in your head you will likely never, ever, ever, ever be selected to sit on any jury.
    Sorry that was meant as a response to Bc....my thing is that honesty should be a baseline for keeping a job. Notice I didn't say anything about anything physical/actions because I honestly have no idea what it's like to have to make split seconds decisions regarding life or death. I'm not in those shoes at all. But what I do expect is honesty, and it's been shown over and over to me that dishonesty is a habitual practice within the ranks and not unfortunate one-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Your argument here is undercut by the fact that the racial percentages of arrests match the racial percentages given by victims
    How can a victim report anything if they are dead?? I pointed out how Ahmaud Arbery's death was purposely covered up for months. Breonna Taylor's police report says that LITERALLY nothing happened. I showed in another thread in how all black unarmed deaths last year (just the ones caught) police GROSSLY lied on the police report. Elijah McClain is dead and was reported as a heart attack or something. George Floyd's death would have gone down as a heart attack too if not for video evidence. Who the hell knows what happened in that van with Freddie Gray. There are so many more victims that didn't have the luxury of a camera recording them and thus have had their side of the story hidden forever.

You are just hearing the stories of the people who mercifully got to live.

How can a victim report anything if they are dead?? I pointed out how Ahmaud Arbery's death was purposely covered up for months. Breonna Taylor's police report says that LITERALLY nothing happened. I showed in another thread in how all black unarmed deaths last year (just the ones caught) police GROSSLY lied on the police report. Elijah McClain is dead and was reported as a heart attack or something. George Floyd's death would have gone down as a heart attack too if not for video evidence. Who the hell knows what happened in that van with Freddie Gray. There are so many more victims that didn't have the luxury of a camera recording them and thus have had their side of the story hidden forever.

You are just hearing the stories of the people who mercifully got to live.
    You have millions of arrests each year, and the racial percentages match the racial percentages of the victims. So that shows thy police aren’t out targeting blacks, they are going after criminals who happen to be black