Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Montgomery County - No in person classes until January 2021

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Trade the computers out for the normal supplies and that should pretty well equal out. What schools spend on copies alone is staggering.
    Building expenses should be down 90% including support staff. I know someone mentioned schools can’t get out of leases... they are municipal owned. They don’t have rent. Who would they pay?

So it probably is more than half, but has to be far cheaper.

And this is beyond those of you saying that they are providing half the quality of education at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You still have to maintain the building is what I meant. There's a reason houses still have climate control running when no one is living there. I imagine those issues would occur in a school too. You don't need as much electricity, but you still need a decent amount. If you break a lease, that's not your problem anymore, but when you own the building it is.

Also, don't sleep on how many classroom supplies are provided by teachers out of pocket (or parents via the supply list)

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Hopefully the building & electric costs should be down. Less cleaning & maintenance, lights off, etc. People will still get paid. I always thought the breakfast & lunch had to do with parents working. If you're home, eat at home.
    The breakfasts and lunches I believe were more to sub in for the school lunch program for families that are poor enough the kids wouldn't be eating if not for the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    So has your wife gotten any information on what they're changing for the fall in terms of approach? The spring sucked, but got a little better as it went, at least for my kids. However, with more than two weeks to plan, I can't imagine them rolling out the same program.

The product we got last year was bad. I feel bad for the seniors, particularly the Athletes that were on the bubble and needed another year to secure a scholarship. I thank god my kid was able to compete and she achieved both her goal of a junior national at the Maryland State meet, her last chance in her swimming career to achieve a JNAT cut, and she was able to secure a full scholarship as well. A lot of people saying things like "sports can wait". That's just ignorant. For some kids there will be no more sports ever. This was it. It got cancelled.

Not sure what the future holds but I will consider sending my kid to private school if MCPS can't do a better job. It would be nice to get a voucher in light of the pandemic. Again, that ain't happening in Moco.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Anne Arundel announced the same. Sucks, I have twin seniors. In addition to missing out on all of the senior year stuff, they were both accepted into a very selective work study program which would have been a phenomenal career launching opportunity. That was cancelled a month ago.